Regional Affiliation Swap 2021

Now that we are hours away from the swap of affiliates I would like to say a few final remarks from my perspective. While this is a giant step in the correct direction towards national metro branding. The actual viewer in regional areas is still in the back of the heads of all these corporate media heads. I feel like we will never get a fair regional network for viewers, and as a regional viewer, I’m still displeased with the networks.

This is my final say on this topic.

3 Likes

Imparja GEM is still HD on VAST.

3 Likes

I’d ask what the context of a “fair regional network” is, as there are a number of benefits with this change. But you said this will be your final say so I guess I’ll never know.

11 Likes

Local news bulletins, but Joe fails to understand the metro networks don’t care, and regional networks have to follow their lead or otherwise fold.

5 Likes

Well, maybe I’ll never understand, I’m only 14. But one thing I do know, whether the networks care or not, we deserve better.

1 Like

I just want 9gem and 7mate in HD but i guess its a cost thing.

3 Likes

That’s one of the downsides of not carrying both primary and secondary HD channels. So much sport is seen on 7mate and 9Gem, especially in AFL states where NRL is always on 9Gem. So switching to primary HD in SA and WA tomorrow will be a bit of a disadvantage for fans.

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. We know for a fact WIN has access to both 7HD and 7mate HD. I would say the costs would be small to just output both of them. Same carriage, same equipment, if anything maybe a small upgrade at MediaHub but surely they’re not switching channels in SD. They’d be downconverting them before broadcast.

5 Likes

So are all the deals completed? Or will there be markets left without programming come midnight?

3 Likes

Haven’t heard a single thing about WDT. Still no info on the WIN website. A case of wait and see.

7 Likes

Cheers, out of interest - what’s their website?

2 Likes

I don’t think they even have one

2 Likes

They don’t have any web presence at all. A phone listing and an email, that’s about it.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth, wdttv.com.au redirects to WIN’s websiite

3 Likes

Which still mentions zilch about the changes. Too late now.

Edit: Sorry @Leo_Puglisi6, I meant the WIN website in my earlier post.

5 Likes

Looks like SCA10 will begin life with its own programming variation rather than 10s network schedule. According to the tv guide, regional 10 will be showing an episode of Escape Fishing with ET at midnight instead of the Late Show which will be half way through on metro 10.

Disappointing. Would have rather seen half the Late Show.

2 Likes

For regional viewers of 9 and its multis get ready for the Crawfords DVD ads :wink:

10 Likes

They do have a (vaguely active) Facebook page that has predominantly posted Nine News content. https://m.facebook.com/pages/category/Broadcasting---Media-Production-Company/West-Digital-Television-1406385419643820/

Nothing about the affiliation change though.

1 Like

Ah gotcha, all good!

3 Likes

This is a bit of a mashup of the various tuning and LCN elements of the current affiliation, that will disappear around midnight; at least in regional Queensland. In memoriam. For the video I set the channels to their default positions.

Not sure where to look first tonight with so much happening. IIRC last change there was a brief period where there were no LCN’s.

8 Likes

Given tonight’s imminent changes, some changes to threads around here

WIN Television is now Nine (WIN) for Queensland, Southern NSW/ACT, Victoria, Tasmania, WA, SA

Ten (WIN) is a new thread for WIN Northern NSW (NRN)

Ten (Southern Cross) is back for Queensland, Southern NSW/ACT, Victoria and SA

Nine (Southern Cross) is still here just in case for any legacy discussion and for SA

Nine (Tasmanian Digital Television) is now Ten (Tasmanian Digital Television)

Nine (West Digital Television) is now Ten (West Digital Television)

Nine Mildura (MDV) is now Ten (Mildura Digital Television)

The last 3 are provisional changes only on expectation that they will switch from Nine to Ten but are subject to confirmation. (i.e. I don’t know any more than anyone else does!)

25 Likes