Movies on TV

Superman 4 debuted on Seven in 1990.

This recording is from 1991

4 Likes

Superman promo from TVQ 0 for 1983 premiere.

5 Likes

Wow back then they split and aired the one movie over two nights!

IIRC Seven also premiered Dances with Wolves over two nights.

Glad I put AFAIK :wink: Were they the only occrancees though?

Seven also did same when it debuted Gone With The Wind. I guess by the time you put in ads it makes over 4 hours of airtime and you can keep those viewers over 2 nights.

2 Likes

Imagine if FTA broadcasters did that today with movies.

1 Like

I seem to recall Titanic airing over two nights at one point, but I’m not 100% sure.

3 Likes

Seven will have FTA premieres of Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice on Thursday and Friday of next week. Both are from Seven’s deal with Warner Bros and were box office hits.

1 Like

They’re also premiering “Absolutely Fabulous: The Movie” (2016) from their Fox deal.

Didn’t expect this. Does it mean Seven has the rights to the Harry Potter movie franchise now? Will this pave the way for the FTA premiere of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them in November? (remember Seven Melbourne will cover the Victorian state election on November 24)

Why?

Obviously.

So long as Nine’s runs have elapsed (e.g.) Seven could only network premiere Lethal Weapon 1 and 4 some months ago, as Nine still had at least one or more left on 2 and 3 (and subsequently aired them).

Ten has the network premiere (not sure if it’s FTA premiere also) of 2010 movie The Switch at 9.40pm. Starring Jennifer Aniston and Jason Bateman, it was the last Miramax movie to be distributed by Disney before the former was sold to Filmyard Holdings in December 2010. Miramax is now owned by beIN Media Group of Qatar.

1 Like

“The Switch” (2010) is actually provided to Ten by their Roadshow content supply licence, previously on Nine.

1 Like

I just saw a promo for “Batman Begins” - 8:30pm Sunday on 7mate. I’m guessing this would be the first time one of The Dark Knight Trilogy films has aired on a network that’s not the Nine Network.

1 Like

Yes. And I caught the long version of that promo and it had “first time on 7mate”.

1 Like

Promo aired tonight during the cricket saying Seven will show all eight Harry Potter movies. It is a combined promo with Suicide Squad and Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.
The Harry Potter movies schedule could look like this:
October 6: Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone (confirmed)
October 13: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
October 20: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (could be shown in WA on October 19 due to Telethon weekend)
October 27: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
November 3: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
November 10: Harry Potter and the Half-Blooded Prince
November 17: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 1
November 24: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 (could be shown in Victoria on November 23 due to Victorian state election)

First time on Nine, under the network’s deal with NBC Universal.
Also, this Saturday (October 6) 9GO! has the FTA premiere of Warcraft (2016). The movie is distributed by Universal.

Just a couple of months late, sequel was in cinemas? I’m guessing Nine already had rights, but SBS beat them to it, so worthless airing it then. Used to be on Seven, though they hadn’t aired it in a few years or so.

True. Batman vs. Superman is a FTA premiere though, might want to check with our new pro in that area JohnsonTV who has de-throned me.

1 Like