COVID-19: Discussion (2022 Onwards)

It doesnt help that there are only really a handful of measures that can be practically implemented and they have limited effectiveness. There is simply no appetite for stricter measures

I know a couple of people who have made a similar switch in thinking, yet when you ask them to articulate what they want to see, it’s crickets. It feels less like it’s politically motivated and more that they simply want to hold a contrarian view.

This is helped by most states/territories really backing off on reporting the numbers - although for a large part of the year, the numbers have been that rubbery that they’ve lost a lot of real value.

Personally I think governments should put the onus on the individual and the businesses.

The government could say its our recommendation that masks are worn indoors. And if a business wants to mandate a mask on the back of that they can.

2 Likes

I think the solution is to tell the pharma companies and regulators to get a move on with an omicron specific vaccine. Omicron has been around for almost 9 months now, in that time in 2020 there were 4 vaccines made from scratch. I thought the whole appeal of mRNA vaccines was that they could be updated quickly?

From all the data the current vaccines are working against omicron with most people who are dying not receiving the recommended doses.

https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-updated-recommendations-for-a-winter-dose-of-covid-19-vaccine
The updated recommendations are:

• Adults aged 50 to 64 years are now recommended to receive a winter booster dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.
  • Adults aged 30 to 49 years can receive a winter booster dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, however the benefit for people in this age group is less certain.
  • The interval recommended between a recent SARS-CoV-2 infection or the first booster dose and a winter booster dose is now 3 months.

Given reinfections may occur as early as 28 days after recovery from a previous COVID-19 infection, the AHPPC advises that the reinfection period be reduced from 12 weeks to 28 days. People who test positive to COVID-19 more than 28 days after ending isolation due to previous infection should be reported and managed as new cases
.The AHPPC reiterates the shared responsibility of individuals, employers and governments in minimising the impact of COVID-19.
Staying up to date with your vaccinations

• Wearing a mask outside your home when in crowded, indoor environments including on public transport. This is important to protect yourself and others.

• Ensuring indoor spaces are well ventilated

• Staying home if you have any COVID-19 symptoms, no matter how mild, and get tested

• Employers should review their occupational health and safety risks and mitigations, and their business continuity plans. They should consider the feasibility of some employees working from home and support employees to take leave when sick.

• Practising good respiratory and hand hygiene

• Staying up to date with jurisdictional public health requirements and information

https://www.health.gov.au/news/ahppc-statement-on-covid-19-winter-update-and-ongoing-health-protection-measures-to-support-our-community

Neil Mitchell doing the same on social media, like none of us remember him banging on in defiance of any public health measures for 2 years

4 Likes

Anyone else’s offices in Melb returning to Work From Home based on ‘government advice’? We were told today.

We have been from home anyway. It was only a requirement once every two weeks. How often were you required in the office?

1 Like

Only 2 days a fortnight moving to 4 days a fortnight. But it was compulsory to do this. Now there’s no requirement again.

1 Like

Not so far, we’re 40% in office for staff and 60% in office for leadership, individuals can choose to do more in office if they choose. Plenty of people asking to work from home with covid like symptoms.

This surprised me, I know masks aren’t mandated everywhere, but surely common sense would suggest it’s wise to wear one in a health setting during a pandemic especially when being required to be so close to each other.

Also what’s with the Victorian government ignoring expert health advice of their own bureaucrats so as not to upset industry. Strange times indeed.

Perhaps they’re worried about people flipping if restrictions return. Do those in the industries hit hard by restrictions make up a large proportion of key voters in Victoria?

Its probably a political point to disprove the scare campaign about the pandemic legislation from the conspiracy far right / liberals. The legislation switched the power from the CHO to the health minister was claimed to be a tyrannical move that would empose more restrictions, its turning out to be the opposite. Now the liberals are in a position where they are courting the libertarian/far right vote while supporting a more oppressive strategy as their top priority.

1 Like

Nope, business as usual here. We have training and enablement with the whole team coming together next week.

Different times, health advice was followed pre-vaccination. We got vaccinated and it should rightly so be down to individual choice and personal responsibility around the risks that you feel comfortable taking.

For me, I am done, I’ve not been active in this thread, I’ve largely muted all covid related topics on twitter, my life is 100% back to normal like it was in 2019 back at the gym doing group classes daily, have travelled internationally 4 times already this year and multiple domestic trips - too much doom and negativity around covid with the conversation starting to become quite unhinged.

3 Likes

Kids under 5 still can’t get vaccinated and many vaccinated are getting sick, still better than dead.

I’m all for personal responsibility too but it is a strange stance and sets a precedent which could backfire down the track (not just covid related). And has opened a new angle for the anti government types to attack the government (which I find somewhat amusing).

The current mandates aren’t enforced PT etc anyway.

How many people have started wearing masks again in indoor settings? I have been doing it for a few weeks as I was a household contact but I have noticed a lot more masks today.

I have seen people stopped on PT for not wearing a mask.

I’ve pretty much always had a mask on me in indoor spaces, just for peace in mind. Some of my colleagues are the same but the majority pretty much ripped them off as soon as they weren’t mandated as if it was July 4th in America.