COVID-19: Discussion (2022 Onwards)

Seems that they have their priorities in order…

Mark McGowan is set to scrap daily COVID-19 case updates on his Facebook page, saying they were no longer necessary.

Instead, he will provide weekly summaries that provide a snapshot of the COVID-19 situation in WA.

Mr McGowan said his final daily update would be posted on Friday, however daily updates would still be available on the WA Health website.

1 Like

The Victorian Government is scaling back the number of COVID vaccination and test sites across the state by June 30.

Has anyone been a household contact and not got covid? My partner recently tested positive again to covid - we haven’t avoided one another and continued to live normally. Yet I never tested positive. Has this happened to anyone else?

1 Like

Have had a few colleagues that’s happened to - indeed someone who went the 7 days at the time, didn’t get it, came back to work and then caught it a few days later from another source.

Similar case around the country I believe - with exception to one or two sites, all of the WA Government community clinics are closing by the end of July.

It happened to my brother the other week. His wife and son both had Covid. They also passed it onto other people that they had seen but my bro just remained negative. He was doing 2 tests per day and even did a PCR to be sure… all negative. He’s a teacher too so is testing regularly, so definitely hasn’t had it recently. He’s never had Covid.

We had a friend visit from Perth a few weeks back and she tested positive day 3 :frowning: Both of us did not test positive again. We had been positive back in Feb/Mar.

Today it’s a year since Sydney went into a three month lockdown

No vaccinations needed when travelling to Australia from 6 July.

Neil Mitchell’s reply to the daily tweet of covid statistics from the Victorian Department of Health, in response to 22 deaths recorded in the past day:

Not for a moment would anyone suggest we go into lockdown again, but is enough being done to prevent covid deaths, as much as we possibly can?

Wasn’t Neil Mitchell a chief critic of any measure to prevent deaths for the first 2 years of the pandemic?

3 Likes

Have you recently boarded a tram/train? One of the remaining mandates and it is ignored by a majority of passengers - not just people you’d associate with being rule breakers.

The government could announce new rules tomorrow - but the will in the public to follow those kind of directives is gone.

This was really to be expected - this is our first winter with no lockdowns - the spikes you saw when winter hit in 2020/21 in the US and Europe into unvaccinated populations caused orders of magnitude more death than you’re seeing in Australia now.

We look comparatively bad because we still bother trying - many countries testing is gone and there’s no isolation. That’s the stuff we’re doing now to limit deaths, and it’s about the only strong lever there is still public confidence in implementing.

1 Like

Going from blasting governments for doing too much, to blasting governments for doing too little in less than 12 months. I bet Neil wouldn’t say a word about it if the Coalition was in office state and/or federal.

I’m interested to see if Neil will go alone with that POV or if we’ll start to see murmurs from other conservative commentators now that Labor is in charge federally that they want to see Labor state or federal govts “doing more” about COVID.

1 Like

The licence for any further stringent measures (not lockdowns) has seemingly long expired for many governement(s). While on the strong left you have the rabid lockdown fetishisers who are still living every day as if it’s April 2020, on the right you have the never-maskers and in the middle you have a giant swathe of the population who are fine to ‘take their chances’ on getting Covid and being fine. The vast majority of people, for better or worse, have decided they’re over it and are moving on.

The number obsession has also dwindled down, to essentially a small left-wing group on twitter, so the 22 deaths or whatever the number might be isn’t getting traction.

2 Likes

When asked if indoor mask mandates would help reduce the growing COVID-19 death toll and flatten massive and persistent waves of infections, epidemiologists have largely sidestepped the question.Instead, the consistent reply has been that it’s not going to happen. The public doesn’t want it. The message experts have received loud and clear is that the time for mandates “is over”. By extension, it means few politicians would be brave enough to consider it.

and i was reading that out of 2000 Victorians who have died this year after contracting coronavirus had not received their third dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. and also :Of the 2171 Victorians who have died from, or with, coronavirus to June 28 this year, 72 per cent had not had their third dose.

The other figure to note is that the vast majority of deaths are people over 80 tho

So all this is hysteria in the media is saying that if people got boosted the rates of death would decrease. So the governments should be focusing on lifting those numbers rather than worrying about masks and other nonsense.

Where’s the advertising campaigns and other incentives to get people boosted?

Other than that I’m finding, especially at work and social circles, not many people give two fucks about covid.

2 Likes

I suspect Neil has realised by being in a high risk category himself that he appears to be one of the expendable ones. I don’t blame him for having a change of tune. Of course deaths aren’t the only measure here, in my team at woek, I’ve got two off with long covid and another who can’t work a full day after having covid months ago. How much worse will the situation become before it moves beyond personal responsibilty?