COVID-19: Discussion (2022 Onwards)

No mask but just got my 4th dose of the vaccine today

1 Like

No mask for me. I won’t wear one now unless mandated.

I will get a 4th dose, but I’m only 6 weeks post infection and end of this month will be 6 months post booster so will likely hold off a bit.

1 Like

It’s a shame Australians feel the need to be told what to do rather than practising self initiated rules.

2 Likes

I don’t need a mandate to be told what to do, I’m able to make my own decision.

The only reason I’d wear it with a mandate is so I don’t cop a fine. It is towing the line, begrudgingly.

2 Likes

I don’t like wearing them either but I do try and wear it when I have been in close contact with someone, if I am feeling a little under the weather, when I go and see my grandma or with my friend who just had a transplant. It is more about being considerate to others and practicing common sense for me.

I would much rather people do this than there be a need for a ‘mandate’.

4 Likes

That is common sense though, if I was a close contact or visiting someone of risk then sure… but day to day life, going to the supermarket, shopping etc I won’t be wearing one.

FWIW, when I was a close contact when my partner had covid, despite having only cleared my own infection 3 weeks earlier I basically isolated. I didn’t go to the gym, I only shopped for essentials and took the dog for walks etc. I wasn’t out socializing and attending events.

3 Likes

I remember early in the year, the government was pushing people to get their 3rd dose ‘as early as possible’ after 3 months even though the science was saying a 5-6 month gap was optimal. It didn’t seem strategic to me at the time and now I think I was right. The sooner people got their boosters the sooner they wore off. Now they are pushing 4th doses? I think I’ll wait until an updated vaccine is available.

I’ve noticed a lot of people with this attitude lately. It really strengthens the argument for a mandate.

1 Like

Of course, look at the general population going about their day to day, hardly anyone is masked.

Everyone is entitled to assess the risk they’re comfortable with. For me I’m 3 times jabbed, had covid and experienced almost no symptoms - I also don’t believe masks do all that much given I was wearing a mask at a conference in Singapore (an N95 too) which is where I got my infection, they clearly aren’t THAT effective.

1 Like

I’m now wearing masks when I’m around the elderly where i volunteer at it is mostly people 70 plus , or where I cant social distance

That is good. It sounded like you were in the camp that would never wear a mask unless told they must. But exercising risks is what we want rather than mandates.

Personally I think the Government should come out strongly and say we believe people should wear masks indoors but are not mandating it and suggesting people do not go in anywhere that doesn’t have a mask mandate. But the onus on the individual and the business. That way they don’t need law enforcement to follow it up.

1 Like

Are they getting fined or just warned?

I don’t think anyone has ever argued that a mask mandate guarantees protection from getting infected. The point is it prevents asymptomatic infected people spreading it to others.

I was trending towards becoming anti-mandate, but then i was in a crowded queue at the chemist, there was a guy coughing his brains out and thought nothing of it. I had important stuff to do that week, everyone just looked at each other in frustration that there was nothing they could do to make him put on a mask. I think when your decision can have huge impacts on others lives its ok for the government to create mandates.

They definitely threaten a fine but they offer a mask first

Also because there’s an election coming up. I’m sure Labor will be returned but they aren’t going to risk upsetting the public.

Yet I keep seeing the public upset, not so much lack of a broader mask madate but the rejection of the health advice which had underpinned the response to the pandemic previously. They’re in a no win situation of their own making.

1 Like

It would be really sad if they are ignoring health advise to gain a few votes. Im in a greens area but I do feel some of the centre/left May swing to the greens this election

Didn’t you quote one of Neil Mitchell’s tweets not too long ago about this same topic? The discussion has already been had.