Canberra Radio

At least they play more music in breakfast than the FM’ers (rather ironically for an AM station!)

3 Likes

Captain Cash is a freaking institution I tell ya.

1 Like

2CA is the best of a bad offering in Canberra.

Hate the joint venture FMs in Canberra - I normally just flick between them to find whatever station doesn’t have ads as the music is mostly the same, largely dated, offering and I assume they are blocking a proper Triple M station getting up in the market?

Driving through regional areas such a Wagga with their Hit and Triple M offerings provides more variety than Canberra. I’d even take the GNFM / Eagle FM formats Goulburn has over Canberra’s nearly identical FM music offerings.

As for Canberra breakfast, drive shows etc across stations… As the saying goes, if you can’t say anything nice…

5 Likes

I think it is clear that Canberra & Newcastle markets are probably the two worst when it comes to choice in the entirety of Australia.

They need to have stronger competition to drive better radio options for listeners.

Surely a market such as Canberra could handle a third commercial FM station (and network).

I would love to see Nova come to Canberra.

4 Likes

What about Wollongong? I think they need wave be similar to 2ST? I think Wollongong wins the crown of not much variety compared to Canberra and Newcastle.

6 Likes

A fifth commercial station has been considered in the past. There was an ABA discussion paper linked here a while back which mooted several options for Canberra. Unfortunately (as usual) the incumbents trotted out the standard ‘commercial viability’ line and the protection racket won the day. The spare frequencies were given to less threatening community and narrowcast operations.

I agree Wollongong is the worst market for commercial radio variety. It’s worse now than it’s ever been there because Wave FM and Power FM share music logs. I know Power FM isn’t a Wollongong station per se but it has had a long association with Wollongong. It was the first FM commercial station to start in the Illawarra region, in 1991.

9 Likes

Here’s my post that links to that Discussion Paper:

4 Likes

Opinions are like a-holes - everyone’s got one. 2CA sounds terrible to me. I just can’t stand 2CA’s breakfast team. I get that they’re trying to appeal to their audience and be local, but it’s just hokey and cringey.

Aside from some try-hard moments, I actually like the Hit and Mix breakfast/drive shows. I know it’s a cash cow for ARN/SCA, but really, if they split the joint venture, it would do wonders for both stations.

4 Likes

That’s probably a bad idea, they would probably then try and compete for the same younger demos that are more lucrative.

4 Likes

At least it would make them competitive.

1 Like

Big announcements tomorrow for Mix106.3 and Hit104.7.

7 Likes

Hmm very curious.

KIIS104.7 and Triple M 106.3 perhaps?

8 Likes

Both stations have darkened there Facebook profile picture?

Updated:

Prev:

Also Mix is no longer on the ARN webpage.

3 Likes

or they merge to become one which is what some are speculating

1 Like

maybe a proof of concept for what a post ARN/SCA acquisition may look like in the radio brands - 106.3 Triple M and KIIS 104.7? Just seems odd that both stations are making an announcement at the same time

4 Likes

A Notification of Resolution Changing Company Name is available here from 26/04/2023. Not sure if it is related as you have to buy the document.

3 Likes

That’s from when they changed from Canberra FM Radio Pty Ltd to AmplifyCBR.

4 Likes

Nope, that won’t happen. I’d say a significant rebrand, but have been unable to confirm that.

3 Likes

Who is speculating that 2 stations become 1? How would that work?

4 Likes

some comments i been reading