Canberra Radio

Opinions are like a-holes - everyone’s got one. 2CA sounds terrible to me. I just can’t stand 2CA’s breakfast team. I get that they’re trying to appeal to their audience and be local, but it’s just hokey and cringey.

Aside from some try-hard moments, I actually like the Hit and Mix breakfast/drive shows. I know it’s a cash cow for ARN/SCA, but really, if they split the joint venture, it would do wonders for both stations.

4 Likes

That’s probably a bad idea, they would probably then try and compete for the same younger demos that are more lucrative.

4 Likes

At least it would make them competitive.

1 Like

Big announcements tomorrow for Mix106.3 and Hit104.7.

7 Likes

Hmm very curious.

KIIS104.7 and Triple M 106.3 perhaps?

8 Likes

Both stations have darkened there Facebook profile picture?

Updated:

Prev:

Also Mix is no longer on the ARN webpage.

3 Likes

or they merge to become one which is what some are speculating

1 Like

maybe a proof of concept for what a post ARN/SCA acquisition may look like in the radio brands - 106.3 Triple M and KIIS 104.7? Just seems odd that both stations are making an announcement at the same time

4 Likes

A Notification of Resolution Changing Company Name is available here from 26/04/2023. Not sure if it is related as you have to buy the document.

3 Likes

That’s from when they changed from Canberra FM Radio Pty Ltd to AmplifyCBR.

4 Likes

Nope, that won’t happen. I’d say a significant rebrand, but have been unable to confirm that.

3 Likes

Who is speculating that 2 stations become 1? How would that work?

4 Likes

some comments i been reading

Obviously makes no sense at all - but with some of the Bauer independent local radio stations in the UK they organised into the “Your City 1/2” networks, matching broadly the BBC split with their Radio 1 and Radio 2 - so for example Northsound 1 as a hit music station and Northsound 2 as a classic hits station, so that they’d share the common branding of “Northsound”, and I suppose stuff like news and the like could run on both with no changes.

Those “1” stations survive now as local rebrands of Hits Radio, while those “2” stations have basically become Greatest Hits Radio rather than the odd local branding. Still it kinda only makes sense in the UK where “Radio 1” and “Radio 2” mean something format wise, “Canberra 1” for Hit and “Canberra 2” for Mix would be meaningless.

That said, surely this is just the stations are “coming together” to joint announce returning/sponsoring the Skyfire fireworks - which is the most logical thing I read in the comments on those.

6 Likes

Both stations are already unified under AmplifyCBR, and they use that branding on air already.
Additionally, there’s no reason for them to announce Skyfire so early. It happens in March and they don’t begin promotion until after Australia Day. 106.3 has never sponsored Skyfire either, it’s always been a 104.7 event. It’ll be very disappointing if that’s anywhere close to being the answer.

I find it very curious how both of them have darkened their logos on their social media accounts. Very strange.

5 Likes

My Prediction: Mix106.3 and Hit104.7 will return to localised branding and break away from the network where possible.

1 Like

Both ARN and SCA have a vested interest in this not happening.

2 Likes

Skyfire is back.

2 Likes

So it is Skyfire, to be held on Saturday 16th March after not being held for 4 years.

Probably needs to be announced earlier because bookings etc would need to be made and would be an easy source for leaks.

4 Likes

Is that it? What a load of crap.

4 Likes