Canberra Radio

Still no word on who’s doing the Mix106.3 drive show. I still think it’ll be Will & Woody.

4 Likes

The Classic Breakfast - 2CA Forever Classic

When did Jen leave 2CA Canberra?

This, along with Becko exiting is another quiet but big change at 2CA. Why?

2 Likes

Canberra radio personality, Scotty Masters will join radio legend, Paul Holmes, as co-host of 2CA’s Classic Breakfast Show with Holmsey & Scotty, from Wednesday 18th January 2023.

Source: Radioinfo

Scotty Masters is best remembered for doing breakfast with Nige Johnson on (what was then) 104.7 for over 8 years until the end of 2015. (Nige is now doing breakfast with Kristen on Mix 106.3.)

5 Likes

Glad Scotty is returning to radio. Was a shame when he left 104.7

4 Likes

That’s insane. How is Scotty on-brand with 2CA’s music?

2 Likes

I mean, I guess it’s good that someone is glad about it. I’m sure he’ll make it all about him, like he used to when he was on 104.7.

2 Likes

Then there will be great fireworks on/off air with Paul Holmes who equally revels in this indulgence.

4 Likes

Brian ‘Spoonman’ Carlton is joining 2CC as a floater from this Thursday, filling in for Stephen Cenatiempo at Breakfast.

4 Likes

It won’t be long till Spoony takes over 2CC Breakfast.

Not a bad choice in Canberra, with Holmesy on 2CA and Spoony on 2CC.

4 Likes

My uncle in Canberra used to listen to 2CC at home,not sure if he still does

5 Likes

Perhaps a silly question, but will the Spoon will be live and local in Canberra? I know he’s lived and worked in Tassie for years and loves the place. 2CC saw no problem in piping in Alan Jones for ages which is why I ask; there’s precedent for them not being live and local at breakfast.

3 Likes

Its a question I asked myself too. He was living in Hobart, and I think, has family down here, (I live in Hobart).

He’s certainly not everyone’s taste, and I think that’s a good thing, but Hobart’s loss is Canberra’s gain in my opinion. He certainly created some great radio in Tassie, but probably wasn’t the right fit for an FM Breakfast show in Hobart where light cheep and cheerful wins the day…

I think his talents would have worked so much better in a local and live drive show…

6 Likes

The Alan Jones experiment lasted a a year before it was dropped and Stephen Cenatiempo was brought in.

4 Likes

Yeah to be fair it didn’t last as long as I thought but it was still pretty poor from 2CC imo. Canberra is the epicentre of the national conversation whenever Kindergarten is in session, so it’s incumbent on the local talk stations to have a local breakfast show!

4 Likes

But it only ended after Alan was replaced by Ben on 2GB, six weeks after in fact, so I don’t think it was really 2CC deciding that Alan wasn’t working, but rather deciding Ben’s more deliberately Sydney-centric show wasn’t a good fit. If Alan had stayed on 2GB, who knows how long 2CC may have kept taking his show.

6 Likes

I fail to see the connection. For the pillows and their staffers they couldn’t give a rats about Canberra. They go there purely to discuss things that are happening outside Canberra.

If we’re talking about a station in a city of nearly 400k tailoring their content to suit a couple of hundred polluted, then the Sydney show is FAR better suited.

If we’re talking about content that is genuinely relevant to tue Canberra locals, then I agree that local is better.

2 Likes

The Alan experiment also had a knock on effect. Sadly of course I was made redundant from being the EP of Canberra Live and the show’s ratings took a dive following the turmoil of going through so many drive presenters.

I do feel frustrated sometimes as I lifted Canberra Live’s audience share across two radio surveys and really tried to do something very special that many drive talk shows didn’t do.

But that’s the past.

5 Likes

That’s all correct of course, but ‘real’ Canberra folk can’t help be interested in what goes on in the ‘bubble’; it’s a company town after all. Canberra wouldn’t be there but for the Hill; it’s Queanbeyan that was the original settlement in the Molonglo Valley!

But yeah, a city of ~400 000 should have local content most of the day- that’s a no-brainer to me.

3 Likes
3 Likes
4 Likes