Canberra Radio

I said this in the Hit forum, Mix 106.3 needs to join the Pure Gold network and adopt a log similar to WS fm / Gold 104.3 with a rock edge programmed locally.

Allow Hit 104.7 to stay on the Hit network and adopt their new position statement with a local music log,

I don’t think the solution is to flip the formats of each station with Mix becoming KIIS and Hit Triple M in a market with practically no local competition on the fm band.

I cannot see SCA buying out the licence of Mix 106.3 when they are in such a dire financial position in a market where the two stations in the joint own close to 40% of the market share.

From memory the joint venture came into affect when Austereo sold off 2CA and ARN 2CC to Capital Radio. Fm 104.7 and Mix 106.3 then entered into the joint venture agreement for programming and marketing.

ARN / SCA now have to consider which way to reposition Mix 106.3 / Hit 104.7 with the changes forced upon them from head office.

3 Likes

In fact, ARN sold off 2CC in December 1994 to Capital Radio, leaving them to only own 1 station (Canberra FM/Mix 106.3) before buying 50% of FM104.7 from Austereo & selling 50% of Mix 106.3 to Austereo.

Here is a document from ACCC dated 1997, agreeing on the Austereo/ARN joint-venture, with 2CA sold off to Capital Radio.

7 Likes

Thank you.

1 Like

Austereo have had a few joint ventures over the years.

NXFM and KOFM in Newcastle were a joint venture between Austereo and RG Capital. RG Capital was bought out by Macquarie Regional RadioWorks in 2004. Macquarie rebranded to Southern Cross Media Group after they bought out Southern Cross Broadcasting in 2007. When Southern Cross launched a hostile takeover of Austereo in March 2011, the company was renamed Southern Cross Austereo in July 2011. As a result, NX and KO were now wholly owned by one company, instead of it being a joint venture.

Austereo also had a minority interest in TTT FM in Hobart back in the 90’s.

7 Likes

Didn’t know that RG Capital had an interest in the Newy stations; that was before I started following media matters closely.

Capital Rock would be a good name for a station. Just don’t call it C-Rock.

4 Likes

RG Capital bought 50% of KO & NX in March 2002.

Source: AMT (now Radioinfo), March 2002

Back on topic, it’s worth reading the ABA’s Draft LAP + Discussion Paper for Canberra dated October 1998.

In October 1995, Capital Radio (who only owned 2CC at the time) proposed that the 3 FM channels available in Canberra should all be for commercial radio. However, less than two years in July 1997, Capital Radio changed its view, in which the 3 FM channels available should be assigned for community radio services instead.

Here’s the document below.
Canberra_DraftLAP+DSC_Oct1998.pdf (492.3 KB)

4 Likes

What’s also interesting from that paper is that the Tuggeranong translators were proposed to operate on the ‘Brisbane’ channels from 88.5 to 94.1 inclusive, and then 95.1 and 95.9. 92.1 was proposed for the HPON at Queanbeyan. The HPON at Williamsdale, then proposed for 107.7, has never materialised. 2QBN wanted to put a Williamsdale translator on 107.5 a few years ago but that’s never happened.

As we know the Tuggers translators occupy most of the remaining ‘Canberra’ channels, including ones proposed for potential new Canberra wide commercial radio licences (99.1, 99.9, 100.7).

4 Likes

The incumbents love the Tuggers translators because it will mean no new competition on the fm band in Canberra unless one of the unused Tuggers frequencies get reallocated. (use it or loose it)

The best solution for Canberra is reallocate a frequency like 95.1MHz for commercial broadcasting, and give 2CA the option to convert to Fm, if they are not interested auction it off for someone new to enter the market. Canberra does not need anymore community stations, but it surely needs some new competition on fm.

6 Likes

Agree, and I wonder if the translators are still required? Does DAB cover that area adequately? If DAB coverage is adequate one could argue you don’t need FM translators.

3 Likes

I’ve been meaning to do a video showing reception from Black Mountain in Tuggeranong. On the lee slopes of Mount Taylor you would get multipath but other than that reception from Black Mountain is fine.

As has been said above, the translators act as a convenient bulwark against new entrants in the Canberra radio market. I note the same tired line about ‘commercial viability’ was trotted out in the 1998 draft LAP linked above.

2 Likes

From memory there are a couple of spots around Kambah under Mt Taylor where there is equivalent to Lake George shading and multipath but generally Black Mountain reception is fine through out the Tuggeranong area.

The Tuggeranong translators only purposes is to stop new competitors entering the Canberra market. Allowing 2CA to convert to fm or a new commercial fm station to commence would be the best thing for Canberra radio listeners.

4 Likes

The signal in southern parts of Canberra is awful on the main frequencies, often un-listenable. The translators are definitely needed.

1 Like

I have noticed issues around Greenway too.

Indoor reception from Black Mt isn’t very good on FM.

1 Like

I’d guess basically not (having been in the southern-most suburb Banks for a while) as isn’t most radio listening in the car anyway, where you don’t want to have to change frequencies when you leave the Tuggeranong area & have to switch to the main Canberra reception area, and if home happens to have poor reception you could stream anyway.

3 Likes

I’m not sure why they use more than one transmitter site for Tuggeranong either. Some of the translators are on Mount Taylor, others are on Tuggeranong Hill and Valley FM 89.5 has a transmitter on top of their studio in Erindale. I think one translator may be on Isaacs Ridge also.

It’s unsurprising that Valley FM can’t be heard much outside Tuggeranong, though it does sneak into the Jerrabomberra Wetlands carpark. I only hear ABCFM Goulburn here in Bungendore.

5 Likes

I think 2CA should ask the ABC about swapping with news radio.

Having news radio on FM is a waste in my opinion.

10 Likes

I’m sure I’m late to the party, but what’s the go with the Mix branding?

4 Likes

Yeah, I noticed that a couple of days ago. It’s as if no one there looks at the website.

3 Likes

Its an error for only the mobile site, the mobile image is the old one while the desktop version is the current one.

4 Likes

RE 2CA’s Captain cash is annoying, listening to 2CA online today. The audio isn’t really great, a bit muffled.

5 Likes