WIN News

In scheme of things, Yass and Goulburn aren’t really that far from Canberra and how could you edit ACT stories out given their close proximity to Canberra? And for that matter towns like Tumut and Cooma aren’t that far away as well.

Just a question out of curiosity, does Bega get Canberra edition of WIN News, Wollongong edition of WIN News or a Victorian edition of WIN News?

They get the Wollongong edition.

More dribble coming out of WIN’s mouth with this ‘headline’

Snopes says that it is rubbish.

10 Likes

Many other news outlets reported the same story.

2 Likes

Tumut gets Riverina television (wrong side of the mountains) and yes, Cooma is basically a suburb of Canberra. It’s only an hour from the Southern parts of Canberra.

1 Like

Melissa Russell presenting in QLD.

Canberra montage from tonight:

2 Likes

wasnt sure because when I lived at Yass years ago, we could get not only Prime Canberra, but also Prime Wagga.

Does WIN use the same news theme as Nine News Regional? Must be quite confusing for the viewers. I am surprised that the Nine News theme wasn’t part of the affiliation agreement and when that ended they should have lost their right to use that theme.

5 Likes

Nine News uses a new version depending of what newsroom it’s coming out of.

WIN tho had the same version when Nine was using it back in 2006-2008

1 Like

It’s very easy to receive Wagga TV in the North-western parts of Canberra and the Valley. The RVN-2 TV guide (and WIN-4) were both published in the Canberra Times until aggregation in 1989. The reason Riverina/Canberra/Illawarra became one TV market is because there was so much bleed-through. If you lived somewhere between Canberra and Goulburn, you’d have had 3 commercial TV channels for decades.

3 Likes

Nine doesn’t own the rights to that theme.

I’m surprised Ten is still allowing WIN News to still use some of the Nine-esque branding elements (even if they’re a bit older than Nine’s current news branding) 18 months on though.

7 Likes

The WIN News solid watermark and supers were updated immediately on the affiliation switch, with smaller colour corrections for the other graphics coming slightly later on. The promos were also updated to their current “glass” look. It’s a bit unbelievable (but also not knowing WIN) that the opener card and theme are all that’s really left.

4 Likes

TEN probably doesn’t care too much about WIN’s presentation elements in their own programming.

1 Like

I think you’re precisely right. Ten would only care what WIN is up to when it has an impact on national advertising sales. Like if they decided to stop screening The Project and replace it with a fishing programme or something equally as stupid.

Anything before 18.30 or after 23.00 is so small fry, WIN can probably do what it likes.

6 Likes

This reminded of one I heard on WIN’s noodle update here in Newcastle last week.

The town of Wangi Wangi on the western shores of Lake Macquarie was pronounced by Amy Duggan as “Wang–ghee Wang-ghee”’ but everyone I know in Newcastle has always pronounced it as “Won-gee Won-gee”.

I was at my mother’s place at the time when it was on, and she laughed in a cringing sort of way.

Regional networks need to realise that regional TV viewers notice these things. Why is it so hard for these things to be picked up on and corrected when the story is “researched” and when the script is written? And they should put it into the autocue phonetically to make it easier for the presenter to pronounce it correctly eg. as “Won-gee Won-gee”.

4 Likes

A few week after WIN launched, Kate Fotheringhan pronounced the Port Macquarie suburb of Lake Cathie as it looks. It’s actually pronounced Lake “Cattai”. An easy mistake to make and I’m sure countless people have done the same thing. On a news update a few weeks later, it was pronounced correctly.

3 Likes

But we need to consider, would they really care at all… Look at a few weeks ago when they aired Shaka Zulu on Saturday night at 8:30pm on WINs main channel. I think at certain times they would care, like now if WIN dumped the Big Bash for a schedule something like Fishing Australia, The Flying Doctors, Carsons Law and Matlock Police from 7pm til 10:30pm.

3 Likes

TEN would certainly care about the Big Bash cricket not being aired, but the types of things that they wouldn’t care about is whether WIN News looks like TEN News as far as theme music or supers go.

1 Like