WIN News

Yes, I remember Ray Dinneen from NBN News making that very same pronunciation mistake re Lake Cathie too.

1 Like

Exactly. If WIN can air something else and earn advertising revenue, then Ten gets a slice of that pie.

As reported by Canberra Times in March 2013, it claims Andrew Lancaster stated “If a regional television station produces a local program it is effectively paying twice for the program because it must also pay the metropolitan network for the program which the local program is replacing.”

At the time, WIN was producing 25 local half-hour bulletins as well as hourly updates across the day, WIN now produce 17 regional news bulletins plus a 1 hour long All Australian News bulletin.

WIN TV could spend more money on news, but what will they get in return? WIN could change the main channel into an all news channel and Ten wouldn’t care as long as they are a slice of the advertising revenue from WIN TV

4 Likes

It’s not so much a rights issue as a branding one, I would have thought. Surely WIN would want to dump any false indication they are still affiliated to Nine.

2 Likes

They use the 2006 Nine News theme for the opener and out to breaks. Closing theme is the same one they’ve used for even longer than that, and isn’t one Nine used.

Edit: this one. They only use the last 30 seconds or so.

7 Likes

With Nine News being a much stronger brand than the Ten News brand, probably not.

Whether it’s laziness or deceptiveness as to why they haven’t changed, I guess we’ll never know.

2 Likes

On the odd occasions when there is a long closer they feature more of the theme. The Ballarat studio productions used to be good for playing the rarely heard parts.

2 Likes

Bulletin at 5:35 in NSW/ACT/VIC/TAS again tonight (4:35 in QLD).

Updates today correctly said it would be at the earlier time, when last week they had normal super saying 6pm:

3 Likes

Win news Ballarat is the most boring news I ever watched. Since it is for the 1st time tonight in a long while since i watched it and will never watch. It. Again. Much Prefer 9 news Ballarat

Montage:

2 Likes

My goodness Bruce is so much better than poor old Geoff!

1 Like

This is one of the major flaws outlined by many independent televisions stations when the aggregation model was determined. Though it’s somewhat of a defeatist attitude. Back in the early 90s, for some markets (Canberra was one), the local news rated better than any of the Sydney bulletins piped through, so there was a clear benefit to regionals ‘paying twice’. Indeed Capital Television used the resources of Ten to built its composite bulletin, so it was even less of a wasted effort in news. In the same way Adelaide and Perth ‘paid’ for the news bulletins from Sydney, they produced their own anyway. (In those days 10 Canberra, Adelaide and Perth were all owned by Charles Curran and operated as a mirror of the Ten network stations).

There are always low-rating parts of the schedule that networks write off and pad with filler material. One good example is weekend afternoons. Some of the regionals historically used these time slots to air sponsored ‘local’ content (such as fishing or camping programmes) that actually generated more revenue than they would have otherwise have earned through advertising slots in the network feed. Not necessarily a model for quality television, but interesting nonetheless.

One recent event that could have contributed to HOURS of cheap local content was Summernats in Canberra. WIN or Nine could have created a two-hour special for the Saturday afternoon for One/Gem. They could have inserted pre-recorded packages of motor enthusiasts who had come from the Riverina, Illawarra, Central West and so on, and the whole special would have added to the minutes they are required to pump out. You only need to mention some local places and faces for the minutes to count and the packages easily could have been put together by the local journalists in each market well ahead of time. An ‘as live’ programme could have worked for the whole SNSW market and would have been a sales rep’s dream for any number of car retailers. You never know, such a special may have broader appeal.

Why bother? Well, the journalists at Nine Regional are going to need a holiday soon, so getting a couple of hours worth of minutes in the bag in early Jan would see them through until the end of February. That way they could air shorter local windows and pop Harry Frost off to Bali or wherever.

Back to the ‘we have to pay twice, so why bother’ model. Regional television needs to man up and decide if they are actually going to make television people want to watch or just pump out bare minimum rubbish. WIN is the worst offender. If they made a quality programme, that moved them from third place with the network feed, to number one with a local programme there is a clear commercial incentive! The trouble is, the programmers who made very good television in the regions (such as TNT 9 Lonnie and NRTV Coffs Harbour) are long gone!

7 Likes

He might be popular in the Gong, but tbh he is pretty average as a presenter.

Doesn’t he read the Victoria bulletins? Bruce doesn’t read Illawarra. I think he’s pretty good, why don’t you like him? Nice intonation, engaged in the copy, good expressions.

Poor old Geoff is a bit slurry and monotonous.

1 Like

I was referring to Geoff Phillips who presents from the Gong.

No network never did it for Midsumma in Melbourne nor did they ever do a two hour special for Melbourne’s NYE fireworks. Why should WIN do something that Nine or any other network incl C31 wouldn’t do.

Great idea tho instead of putting AAN or something else on.

Yeah, if a Ten sales rep sells advertising to someone like Qantas or Toyota and says, “You’ll get ads during Masterchef on Ten and its affiliates” they would care if WIN didn’t then show Masterchef. It would actually be a breach of contract between Ten and the advertiser, which would in turn be a breach of contract between Ten and WIN.

There would be periods in the schedule where national network sales don’t occur, which is when Ten wouldn’t care what WIN shows.

1 Like

TEN wouldn’t have any say on what ads WIN runs during Masterchef (or any other program).

WIN manage their own ad sales AFAIK.

1 Like

Queensland weather was presented from Wollongong tonight by Chris Polzot. It looks like this guy, who is/was an actor.

Hannah McEwan has been removed from promos and endboards airing on television, but she still features in the social media graphics. Hopefully he is only filling in whilst she is on maternity leave.

4 Likes

No Melbourne stations struggle to fill local content quotas - that’s why. Regional stations should be looking out for cheap ways to fill hours.

2 Likes

Oh dear, you’re not familiar with Network/Affiliate sales I take it. Yes, an advertiser can book adverts through Ten that are played on its affiliates. They are called ‘affiliate sales’. It makes it much easier for the advertisers. The money from the sales is then split accordingly.

3 Likes