Watermarks

There’s still a lot of legacy 4:3 in the US, because widescreen SD isn’t really common over there, so even if something is a fairly strong affiliation, the drop is from HD to 4:3 SD in most cases when something isn’t the primary channel. Some content would be shown letterboxed, but other programs may decide that they don’t benefit much and would make things 4:3 safe and tell those stations to just take it full screen.

3 Likes

The old fox sports two :heart_eyes:

1 Like

2 Likes

NITV in the left corner:

Fox Sports LIVE Stream watermark. Really old watermark, previously used on the website livestreams (pre-Kayo and Foxtel Now).

And Fox Footy 505:

4 Likes

Yes I saw that too and wondered why they needed TWO FOX logos.

Just make it one or the other please FOX.

3 Likes

I think it might be a legacy part of their software? Or they decided to use it so the viewer knows it’s a livestream and not a proper broadcast?

3 Likes

If so, they also don’t need the red FOX logo in the top right.

It’s somewhat confusing and inconsistent.

1 Like

It’s common for sports channels to use additional watermarks to deter against public rebroadcasting in venues. I’d say that’s exactly what this Live Stream watermark is for. For example, if an audit found a pub was using this stream for their in-house TV’s, they’d be penalised pretty heavily for not paying the premium price for a venue package.

These days they generally leave the domestic versions alone and only watermark the venue versions, usually with a middy glass next to the Fox Sports watermark, or on the bottom left on Optus Sports feeds, to differentiate it.

1 Like

No, the reason is that they are broadcasting this practice match made for streaming on Kayo on their linear channels as well. The quality is much worse that normal (it’s a livestream), thus they want to make it obvious to the viewer that this isn’t them and their quality. They quickly used an existing add-on watermark (the legacy stream one) to show that it is a livestream.

(Whether that makes English I’m not sure :joy: :sleeping:)

These screenshots have come from their Twitter, not Kayo or any other service.

4 Likes

EDIT: Added a bit better look at the watermark

9 Likes

Looks like the 1970s-2000 logo

It is, the 3D variant was retired when the original logo was reinstated as the Corporate logo in 2018.

1 Like

4 Likes

5 Likes

7 Likes

on 9 Gem

6 Likes

2 Likes

7 live during Idol yesterday (only AEDT markets) and Exclusive Project today.

4 Likes