Sports Broadcasting History

This is a good listen for anyone interested in the production side and broadcast innovation. Covers Australian, British and American sports.

4 Likes

Its also a good reminder that quite a number of things in sports broadcasting that we take for granted today were either pioneered here in Australia or by Australians (like David Hill)

7 Likes

Found some footage of a Melbourne Storm NRL game from 2000 that was broadcast late night on WIN Tasmania and thought it was strange that in the score box they only have MEL and not the opposition name as well which was the Sydney Roosters. Did they do the same thing for other games that season only having the home team name in the score box?

2 Likes

Channel Nine only showed the Team that was in Front at that time and if it was Even, It had Draw agianst the score

4 Likes

Who would’ve thought in 22 years NRL games in Tasmania would come from a late night slot to broadcasting Storm games live on the main channel (and the rest on 9Gem).

3 Likes

Clip from The Game Plan (NRL) used to showcase sports betting advertising in a report on 10 tonight. Largely used archive footage (CrownBet and WilliamHill ads ‘featured’ heavily), which would explain why this popped up.

5 Likes
1 Like

They did it basically since the on-screen scorebox came to pass if I recall rightly, through the late 90s with a previous look. Was always the team in front - not particularly helpful if you were tuning in and unfamiliar with the teams (although I guess that would have been rare). Always wondered if it was a stylistic choice to do that or a technical limitation.

3 Likes

If scores were level they generally had the home team rather than draw in the corner.

4 Likes

Footy is back! This week in 1982, at least.

Features a list of call-signs of all stations taking VFL coverage, which also includes remote mining television network sites.

Source: TV Week

4 Likes

Southern Cross broke into programming in the wee hours of December 29 to cover the finish of the 1996 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race. Hosted by Steve Titmus with Rob Mundle.

2 Likes

10 was the exclusive broadcaster of the Sydney to Hobart yacht race during this era.

1 Like

slowly converting my AFL Grand Finals to DVD, 1990 and 99 are done 1993 is recording now

3 Likes

i brought this a few years ago for around $15 - was searching for the 95 game and it was more expensive to buy 95 alone than every granny from 90 - 99. its great but if your after things like the adverts theres none on these dvds

b8bd46fe-e798-11e8-bf29-0242ac110004

2 Likes

Ch7 news report that Jack Dyer has died.

2 Likes

One error in that article, mentioning “MTN9 Tamworth” then later the correct “MTN9 Griffith” which was unconfirmed for coverage.

1 Like

I also watched it live but have never seen any footage since. I remember the opener was uploaded to youtube and it’s still up

3 Likes

One of Huddo’s first TV calls and one of Hunt’s only non Olympic period TV calls.

Think the thinking was they were good on radio together so Rex’d mentor Huddo for a handful of matches in 1999 on 7.

2 Likes

back in the 80s and 90s they used to broadcast the under 19s and reserves grand finals before the seniors, but did they broadcast these games at all during season proper?

1 Like

HSV 7 broadcast the one match a round of the reserves Commodore Cup and later the Army Reserve Cup in the late 1970s until 1986 on Sunday afternoons, once the Swans related to Sydney and began to play on Sundays and they would alternate so there was VFL footy on television every Sunday arvo, slowly nibbling away at ATV 0/10’s VFA audience until they pulled the pin on it.

I don’t recall under 19s being broadcast although the Herald and later Herald Sun Shield (schoolboys) was broadcast early weekend mornings.

3 Likes