Watermarks

There are sneakier ways to crack down on this that you’ll almost never notice.

I know of one instance where Foxtel managed to figure out which iQ box was being used to stream a Mainevent boxing match. Apparently the boxes have the ability to subtly watermark a feed with a unique code somewhere that Foxtel can look for and then trace. (EDIT Factcheck: I can’t find any evidence of this online, but definitely recall it being a thing. Would’ve been maybe 5-10 years ago).

I also swear a couple of times I’ve seen the middy glass in differing levels of full. What purpose that serves I’m not sure.

2 Likes

This is so that you can’t just work out what it looks like and stick a sticker on the TV. They change the level of the glass, the opacity and the exact location in order to catch this.

There’s certainly the non-subtle version of it where they just flash a very obvious code up on screen, with more control over the boxes I think Foxtel could probably do even better than those - but even if you just flashed it up for a split second and were recording the stream you’d be able to pluck it out.

1 Like

KCA 2023 countdown + new Nickelodeon splat-like screenbug

2 Likes

Had a bit of a dig on Google and found this

43A26FE400000578-0-image-a-17_1503900654148

Source:

5 Likes

Looks like that image is from here 'Live' TV Piracy Watermarking Defeated by Devices Sold on eBay * TorrentFreak

I’ve seen Sky in the UK put codes up on the screen to try and identify who is streaming before.

1 Like

Upside down MTV logo celebrating woman.

6 Likes

Because that makes sense? If the M stood for man it would but it stands for Music.

1 Like

One watermark without the HD

2 Likes

2 Likes

5 Likes

i saw the 7 sport 2007 v8 watermark today

2 Likes

In the US

4 Likes

2 Likes

Updated Foxtel watermarks

6 Likes