TV tuners and software

Terribly. I had a dabble with TVH in a VM. Couldn’t work out a way for it to detect my local hardware. Didn’t have a HDHR back when I was playing with it. Might have a crack now.

1 Like

It is, but the NextPVR software, as I recall, didn’t perform to my expectations & I uninstalled it. On the suggestion & recommendation of one of the forum members here I trailed SchiboPVR & decided to keep using it & pay the small yearly fee. The software programmer is an Aussie living in Canada.

It is interesting reading of other users setups & experiences with other software & look forward to reading more. I may be tempted to trial other software if others have great experiences with it under Win 10 & with the HDHR.

1 Like

Interesting that you can use it to stream the local channels through VLC. Tbh, the only other thing that puts me off from buying a HDHR is that I would have to mess around with the cords connecting to the router and we only bought a new one about a month ago. If I was on my own, I would buy one and do that no worries, but I share a household and I don’t want to change the cables for something that will only be used for receiving the local channels.

That’s interesting. It’s something I will definitely keep in mind for down the track, but to be honest, I think my ultimate preference for now would be to try and find a compatible USB TV Tuner which I could take with me if I go away somewhere.

Thanks for linking it to me, something like that was just what I was after! :slight_smile: I’ve come across a similar model before actually, but the one I found was only compatible with Windows XP and earlier operating systems. It’s good to know for sure that it can work on a Windows 10 laptop.

3 Likes

Which is fair enough if ports are limited on your router. But the beauty of the HDHR setup is that there’s only one place you need an antenna/coax connection. It puts your FTA onto your wifi/network so you don’t have to worry about USB dongles, coax cables to the laptop, etc. It’s a much cleaner setup than traditional methods.

Definitely don’t let user guides or product descriptions limit your options. If it works on Win 7, it will more than likely work on Win 10. Do a Google search on the product and see what other people use. USB tuners are pretty generic and usually don’t need special drivers or installation discs.

2 Likes

I’m planning on going to Australia and New Zealand soon, but is there a portable DVB-T or DVB-T2 tuner that I can get? It doesn’t matter if it’s Android or Apple, but I prefer Android. I also want it to have a recording function, but it doesn’t have to.

1 Like

I got one of those USB tv tuners when I got my first laptop over 10 years ago.

Anyone know where I can buy a HDHomeRun? Their website has been out of stock for months

I dont know if you can buy a new one any more

Since the UK use the same TV standards as Australia, maybe you could buy one from the UK and it would work here? I doubt they’re geolocking these things.

I’ll see if anyone on the interwebs has done this, might be the only way. Thanks.

Ahhh old tv tuners, I used to love doing screencaps on here + other sites back in the day. Had a VisionDTV (purchased from Dick Smith of all places). I was devastated when the card failed (well technically wasn’t the card, the aerial port dislodged lol). I tried to continue the capping game, with a Winfast 2000 capture card, it didn’t have the same magic as the VisionDTV (always had the knack of pausing at the right frame).

Ironically longggggggg after I gave up trying to adapt to a new card, I discovered it was my OLDER computer that was causing issues with it… rather than the card + software being actual junk.

1 Like

Hello there - recently I got this TV tuner:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252088908426&ved=2ahUKEwixstns6ZH7AhUc9nMBHZCoBM0QFnoECC4QAQ&usg=AOvVaw38OZDZxexoNaVgc386wnym

And wondering - how to use it in VLC media player? I can’t seem to find it in my “Capture Device” section

1 Like

Clean link USB HDTV TV tuner for Windows 10 Australia DVB-T 4 Laptop & PC Record digital TV | eBay

Did you install any drivers?
http://www.users.on.net/~learoy/Realtek.zip

You also need to choose “TV - Digital” in this menu;

I know this thread is about tv tuners and software but has anyone ever tried doing this using a screen recorder? And just record your pc screen while streaming a catchup service?

1 Like

I’ve done this successfully using OBS. Browser running a stream, OBS capturing the browser window and cropping just the player, then recording to a local .ts file. TubeDigger is a nice program designed for just this purpose, but it’s not free.

1 Like

I use this Stream Recorder extension in Microsoft Edge (also works in Google Chrome). Works with most embedded video sites and saves the raw audio/video stream unaltered to disk.

2 Likes

You can also use the Windows built in screen recorder - mostly used by gamers but otherwise quite functional. Window key +G

4 Likes

I use my Panasonic DMR-BWT955 Recorder which via Wi-Fi allows me to watch/record with VLC Player.

6 Likes

What would people recommend to record TV to PC?