TV tuners and software

I used to use the Kaiser baas tv stick back in the day which I think has since been discontinued. There was a good program which came with it called Total media (by ArcSoft) which let me schedule recordings and modify recording times.

These days I just use VLC but that’s because I now use a iMAC.

3 Likes

Obviously you start with a tuner - either card, USB or network device. It then depends what sort of recording you want where you go from there. For unattended, timed recording, you can often rely on the software supplied with the tuner. If you don’t need that, you can use VLC or other similar software.

3 Likes

I hooked up a single tv tuner usb eyetv diversity and recorded a couple nine shows. I was thinking about getting a dual tuner but because I will only being only just recording Neighbours during the week I don’t think I could justify the expense.

1 Like

Anyone have any experience with a feature like this diversity tuning or have any insight? Dual TV tune with diversity tuning.

I had a car radio (posted about a couple of times) that had diversity tuning. It would swap between two antennas for the one with the best signal (you needed to install a windscreen antenna in addition to the standard one).

• In “Diversity Mode” the two TV tuners and antennas work together as one for superior reception in weak coverage areas
1 Like

From an Aussie living in Canada. Low annual fee for recording.
You might need a reasonable video card to support the graphics though.

1 Like

Finally found the issue - brought the one not compatible with my laptop :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

I still use older Leadtek WinFast PCI and PCIe based capture cards.
Not that I would recommend them exactly, it’s just what I have always used. There might be something newer and better out there. I’m interested to know how others have their set ups.

2 Likes

Perfect for the traveller - suitcase TV - coming in September for $2,000.

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be much easier and cheaper to pack a small box of your choice e.g. Apple TV, Fetch Mighty and plug that into the TV at where you’re staying?

2 Likes

We often take the Chromecast or Firestick with us places now when we go away, got a Telstra 4G modem that has heaps of data and it joins the wifi and then we have all our apps and everything already signed in and the kids can get their shows or YouTube videos quickly and easily.

4 Likes

The YT video calls it a “briefcase” whereas it was referred to in Sunrise as a “suitcase”. The second-biggest brief case I’ve ever seen :smile:

At $2,000, it’s cheaper than some phones.

1 Like