TV show ideas

I have come up with an idea that I feel could work provided they could get musicians to actually perform on such a show.

Working title: Versus

Concept: 2 singers sing 2 songs, the song is nominated by each singer and the two must perform the same songs. I would try and push for a Saturday or Sunday night live program and have a 50/50 vote strategy - the studio audience would be 50% of the vote of who is better and 50% from the home viewers (or if seen as too complicated perhaps some media personalities)

example imagine Tina Arena versus Danni Minogue. Tina might choose her 1994 song, Chains which would be sung individually by both, whilst Danni might choose her 1990 song, Love And Kisses, to be sung individually by both. They both sing their take on their own song, then their take on their competitors song.

Then time permitting, have could have both singers perform together to round out the show. Any of the 3 commercial networks could do it, but like I said, preference would be on a night where it could be potentially air live post 6pm across all markets in Australia

1 Like

Tipping Point Australia on Nine
Launches 20th of March 2023

A new local format of Tipping Point will launch on Nine with Andy Lee as host. The 1 hour show will replace Hot Seat at 5PM in East coast cities, and 4PM in Adelaide and Perth. Moves to 5PM for Adel & Perth if numbers are higher than news.

The show’s format will follow the UK’s version with minor changes.

Hot Seat will move to 3PM for repeats and to monitor viewership.

2 Likes

Counters = A$500 per counter (UK£50 per counter)
Jackpot = A$100,000 (UK£10,000)

1 Like

Jeez that’s a massive increase…

I honestly don’t think $10,000 is a large enough jackpot for an Aussie version of Tipping Point.

This is similar to Weakest Link where, in the original UK version, the maximum possible top prize was £10,000 while in the original Australian version it was $100,000.

1 Like

Holmes: Behind the Headlines
1 x 120 min (88 mins, including commercial breaks)

For 15 years the late Sir Paul Holmes (who died in 2013) brought the issues of the day into the living rooms of almost every New Zealander, fronting TVNZ’s weeknight current affairs programme Holmes.

This feature-length documentary/retrospective looks back at the making of Holmes, including an explosive Dennis Conner interview, and features interviews with the reporters and producers who had worked on the programme during its 15-year run.

Among those being interviewed are Paul Cutler (ex-TVNZ Head of News and Current Affairs and original executive producer of Holmes), Susan Baldacci (former Holmes executive producer), Pip Keane (former Holmes executive producer) and reporters Cameron Bennett, Kerryanne Evans, Mike McRoberts, Jim Mora, Mark Sainsbury and Simon Shepherd.

@nztv @Leotv What do you think of the documentary idea?

1 Like

I think the idea for a documentary is great Paddy. There hasn’t been a retrospective on his show and would be an interesting watch. Hopefully there’s a chapter on his move to Prime and what went on behind the scenes during that chaotic move. Looking forward to seeing where this goes Paddy.

2 Likes

Shouldn’t this go here?

Oops - my bad!

Village Patrol
A spin-off series from Fireman Sam, chronicling the adventures of the men and women of the Pontypandy Police Station as they fight crime in the fictional Welsh village of Pontypandy.

In the real-life Fireman Sam series, there are currently two police officers.

3 Likes

how much fire and crime can this one tiny town have!!!

2 Likes

Ask the residents of Mount Thomas, Victoria? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I know this probably isn’t the right place for this, but here is an idea.

This writers strike in the US recently triggered an idea for a new program weeks ago.

Title: What’s My Scene
Concept: An improv style series where guests are given a scenario to act out without a script.

It could be a half hour or hour show and have say three segments of this kind of acting and perhaps (if it’s an hour, have interviews with guests a la Graham Norton style). I’m pretty sure something like that would be very entertaining. Working Dog Productions could produce it for Ten

So it will be similar to Whose Line Is It Anyway?

(side note: currently airing on ABC Plus on Saturday nights after Spicks and Specks)

I actually didn’t think of that show, but I guess it would be. I think interviews could be a good touch to have it drag out for an hour

I think the interviews would only work to kill the flow between improv skits. What makes Whose Line work is that the games just flow one after another (yes, I know that the show is heavily edited to make it happen) which demonstrates not only the skills of the performers, but keeps the laughs flowing for the whole half-hour.

Title: Australian Morning (AM)
Channel: Network 10
Format: Morning Program
Time/Day: Weekdays from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM.
Duration: 3 hours

Format:
“AM” would be designed to wake up Australia with a burst of energy and enthusiasm. It would be a 3-hour daily show that would air from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM. The program would blend information, entertainment, and interactivity, creating a lively and engaging start to the day.

Suggested Segments:
Aussie Adventures: Explore the stunning landscapes and hidden gems of Australia as our hosts embark on exciting adventures across the country. This segment would showcase the natural beauty and diversity of Australia.

Culinary Quest: Discover the rich culinary heritage of Australia with renowned chefs preparing delicious dishes using local ingredients. Viewers can follow along with easy-to-cook recipes.

Community Spotlight: Highlighting remarkable individuals and organizations making a positive impact on Australian communities. This segment would inspire viewers to get involved and make a difference.

Health and Wellness: Expert advice on physical and mental well-being, with fitness routines, nutrition tips, and mindfulness practices tailored for busy mornings.

News and Updates: Delivering the latest national and international news, weather, and traffic updates to keep viewers informed as they start their day.

Live Music: Featuring live performances from Australian artists across various genres, celebrating the country’s vibrant music scene.

Viewer Engagement: Interactive segments where viewers can share their thoughts, photos, and videos on social media, fostering a sense of community.

TV Advertising Strategy:

Tagline: “This is Australia’s New Morning”

Slogan: “Are you ready for a change? I AM”

Our advertising strategy revolves around these compelling messages. We’ll create a series of engaging TV ads to promote “AM.” Each ad would showcase different aspects of the program, emphasizing its freshness and the spirit of change it represents.

Ad 1: A montage of breathtaking Australian landscapes and moments of adventure, emphasizing the tagline, “This is Australia’s New Morning.”

Ad 2: Clips of mouthwatering dishes being prepared, heartwarming community stories, and energetic fitness routines, all while inviting viewers to embrace change with the slogan, “Are you ready for a change? I AM.”

Ad 3: Quick snippets of live music performances, expert health advice, and viewer interactions, reinforcing the idea that “AM” is the new way to start the day.

4 Likes

Congratulations - you’ve invented the breakfast show.

2 Likes

With all this work and thought you have put into this, I was wondering whether you had considered the following.

What sort of hosting structure would you have?

Would you use the same format as your competitors or would you use an alternate hosting structure?

As an example, would you have all female co-hosts? Would you include say an indigenous co-host in the mix or perhaps someone from another ethnic background/minority group?

I’m curious as to your thoughts

1 Like

I hadn’t considered hosting structure(s), etc., for this; just the general program format.
I guess the general purpose of Australian Morning would be to heavily focus on areas that Today/Sunrise don’t or won’t focus on already, essentially providing something new in the space while working within the same format template as rival programs. Hosting would probably have to follow the program itself in that the structure would have to be somewhat different from that of rival programs.

2 Likes