Triple M Network

“Get in trouble” what is that place…a primary school?

3 Likes

Mooney is an embarrassment on the Sydney MMMs. Unfunny mostly and still failing after several years. He’s escaped harsher judgement so far only because of the utter debacles in breakfast at sister 2Day.

6 Likes

The predominant topics on 2MMM breakfast appear to be revolve around their sex lives and booze. It is Triple M so a certain amount of bogan is to be expected, but this show really sinks to a new low.

4 Likes

Mooney isn’t very deep. He’s no Sheargold.

4 Likes

That ties in well with Danny Lakey’s night time program… consistency.

2 Likes

With a bit of lockdown boredom and following this comment

a bit analysis of the brekky trend for 3MMM:

For the purpose of the analysis, I have split the Hot Breakfast into eras (or should that be eons?) based on the hosts. Not unsurprisingly, the Ed, Luke & Mick era was the most successful, although the drop at the end of 2016 surprised me.

In terms of the reduction in brekky ratings with Marty Sheargold, it is pretty similar to the overall station performance, so not sure whether this a chicken or egg situation.

Each brekky analysis is fairly consistent in that a new host(s) typically results in a drop in brekky ratings then a rebuild, so at this stage I agree with @Qwerty that the performance of the Marty Sheargold show itself it isn’t terminal.

However, the problem is that the overall station performance is starting to feel a bit deja vu 2009 when Pete & Myf were hosting brekky and the overall station rating fell below 5.0% (surveys 7 and 8 of 2009 were the nidar at 3.9%). I suspect that there is an element of panic for any commercial FM station that falls below 5.0%. So probably not good times at 3MMM…

9 Likes

I’m not a ratings reader but the show itself is very listenable and the team has brilliant chemistry.

4 Likes

The main issue is that the show is almost too tight so it sometimes feels like it’s been pre-recorded.

1 Like

Triple M should take calls after the Footy on Friday and Sunday nights. So abrupt going from 3-2-1 votes straight back into music.

1 Like

Great analysis above, I think over the longer period of time there has been the impact of a number of music format changes that have had a flow on effect to breakfast in some degree. For example during the infamous Pete&Miff era the station tried to move quite modern with “music that rocks” which didn’t help a bad situation. Fortunately during hot breakfasts reign the music was kept relatively stable, albeit leaning older during the latter years. Even with Sheargold’s short time the music initially went a bit more edgier during the day (stuff like Shihad, Kingswood and Pretty Reckless getting some rotation) but has now settled back to a more conservative position. I think the biggest challenge for Sheargold in the longer term is that it doesn’t have a direct link to the footy like hot breakfast or The Cage which connects to the core audience and the ability to pivot between serious and funny which is the polar opposite of listener habits from Eddie & Darc. Over at Gold in O’Connells case there is a bit less pressure to have that afl connection.

4 Likes

I feel like that doesn’t matter, they have two AFL guys each week, and Will covers all the sports daily. I think the key to this show is that even though it’s Marty’s show, the ensemble is very strong (surprisingly). Their TV ads were so terrible, they didn’t say anything about the show, even the billboards while getting the word out that Marty is back on MMM should have highlighted some of the younger talent behind him. I think there is a chance to boost the female audience, which I hear through more female callers than on Molloy for example.

1 Like

I recall Hot Breakfast became the number 1 FM breakfast show throughout 2014 and 2015 mainly due to the fact that at the end 2013, Matt and Jo (Fox) and Hughesy and Kate (Nova) both finished up.

They were the last one standing but they did well to maintain the number 1 FM spot until at least 2016 I recall.

3 Likes

good idea! Bring back Mark Fine!

4 Likes

Could be finey, honestly just a young producer with like Daisy or Fat someone similar would be perfect.

2 Likes

Summer and Triple M meet together in the form of cricket!

The TMMM cricket commentary is coming back.

Commentary team announcements will be made over the coming weeks.

5 Likes

Long term deal (not sure how long) for every Ashes test and ODIs against NZ. Won’t be every summer but suspect the 2025/26 series must be included for now at least.

2 Likes

Interesting it only mentions the Metro MMM’s on that press release…Not even a mention of Hobart or the Gold Coast.

2 Likes

I’d say the regionals wouldn’t be keen on taking it, Triple M Gold Coast barely take any NRL games

4 Likes

I was just thinking that MMM Hobart took the cricket previously.

3 Likes

I’d predict at least the MCG and SCG tests will be on the regionals as this is over the holiday period anyway and they aren’t going to alienate a workday audience with cricket coverage.

I recall they did similar on the regionals in 2017/18 and only took 1 or 2 tests or even just the home state test.

4 Likes