Cricket on Radio

I don’t use bluetooth unfortunately! Only have the google home mini as my radio!

I can confirm it is on ABC Sports dab but isn’t on the ABC Sports internet stream , its only on the ABC Cricket stream in the app.

SCA today will announce that Triple M will broadcast the upcoming Ashes 2021/22 series between Australia and England. Coverage will also be streamed live on the Listnr app.

Triple M haven’t broadcasted live test cricket since the last 2017/18 Ashes series on Australian soil.

4 Likes

Triple M will also be broadcasting every men’s ODI match this summer, up against SEN and ABC Radio.

That’s awesome. I enjoyed Triple M cricket coverage

1 Like

Guessing this summer’s ODIs are the ones against NZ that they’ve mentioned then? Not sure how long term that deal is or whether it’s just a deal for the ODIs this summer.

Its good to have competition, it a shame though radio is becoming selective, they only really want the ashes. As a cricket fan I would love to hear more cricket, even on Listnr on matches that are even not involving Australia.

I doubt a Listnr only product would be sustainable. Even this summer with commentators and experts stretched across ABC, SEN and now Triple M and then also TV with Seven and Fox Cricket it’s hard to create a sustainable team these days.

Obviously SCA see value in the Ashes and will work with Fox and Seven to share as many commentators as they can. No doubt they’ll aim to get Triple M favourites like Isa Guha (Fox), James Brayshaw (Seven), Kerry O’Keefe (Fox) and Mark Howard (Fox) back on.

2 Likes

Yeah and especially our borders I don’t think will be open up by then so difficult to get “overseas” talent in. Although they could do it remotely.

I love the ashes, but wish we could play NZ more and setup the same revival as the Ashes. I do miss the competitive West Indies too. To some extent South Africa too. At least India are good these days.

1 Like

The article tonks posted states that Triple M has signed a ‘long-term’ partnership with Cricket Australia - that suggests the two parties have entered into a multi-year rights agreement.

EDIT: It’s a three-year deal:

https://twitter.com/CricketAus/status/1421956182474776578

On another note, it’s curious though that Triple M won’t be covering the T20s against Sri Lanka in mid-February. Would have thought the 3 - 3 1/2 hour duration would better suit FM radio rather than the ODIs. However, they might have decided it’s not as ‘appealing’ to cover.

It’s going to be a stretch for there to be enough commentators/pundits to fill five separate commentary teams - especially with mandatory hotel quarantine probably limiting how many people from England will be coming to Australia compared to a usual Ashes series

3 Likes

I remember last time they had a similar deal and they were very selective what they broadcast. Happy it wasn’t exclusive for international cricket.

It was a shame that ABC Cricket could not bring Shield cricket on the weekend at the grounds as they lost the rights, but Macquarie Sports Radio at the time didn’t cover the shield matches. The Domestic cricket rights are aimed mostly for the BBL.

Wasn’t that due though to the existing deals CA had with the ABC and Fairfax/Macquarie Radio?

Yeah it probably was. The BBL is exclusive to SEN now. I wish the ABC could get the rights back to the BBL and all domestic cricket.

Like the NRL was sometime back. I believe it shouldn’t be like that for radio. Like Rugby League today, you have a lot more choice, than just 2GB in the earlier part of this century (and late 90s). I love the 80s where there was 2UE/2GB/2SM/2KY/2BL at different times through out the decade.

2UE did some great coverage of the cricket in the 80s too. There were a lot less games then (due to the BBL). So maybe resources were not as spread thin as it is today.

2 Likes

It’s interesting as I assume a lot of the commentary will be done from a studio. I agree they will look to share talent but that’s harder than all being at the ground moving between TV and Radio.

I do believe you can paint a better pictures at the ground, like the field placements, sometimes to see sixes. Cameramen are human and can make mistakes. In rugby league you can see whats happening in the back play.

Last summer TV/Radio commentary (when not at the ground) was predominately done from NEP Studios in South Melbourne. Seven ran their TV coverage from there too. Plus Fox Sports/Fox Footy have an adjoining facility on Dorcas St.

ABC and SEN then had commentators based at either NEP in Melbourne or Sydney which meant moving between TV and radio was very possible with Seven and Fox all in the same location too (at least for commentators at NEP Melbourne, not sure it was possible for commentators stuck in Sydney).

Another good reason that radio commentators were based at NEP meant they had access to all the video feeds with multiple camera angles, live stats, etc.

SEN will carry ball-by-ball commentary of the 1st England v India test which begins tonight. The coverage will also air on SENZ.

1 Like

not sure this is a good idea tbh.

the reason i say it is that it’s not a normal thing for the MMM’s to do. I know they do AFL / NRL on weekends and nights but the people who listen all day want music, not 5 days of cricket, and people who listen to cricket will generally default to the ABC, so they need a decent drawcard to get people to listen to “The Mitre 10 scoreboard” and the “Ryobi Drinks Break”

3 Likes

make that all 5 tests

https://twitter.com/craighutchy/status/1422824889136844800

3 Likes

RE: the test matches from England, its great, I don’t want to pump up my tyres but its something I suggested on this forum for a while. :grinning: More live sports on SEN is better in my view.

1 Like