Today (2015-Sept 2020)

Also, why does Weekend Today feel like it’s ‘matte’ whereas Weekend Sunrise feels ‘glossy’. Does that make sense?

6 Likes

I agree - definitely not as smooth as the weekday team. It’s as though they’re trying too hard?!

3 Likes

“Trying too hard” is how I’ve always thought of Bec Maddern I’m afraid. Time will tell if this works.

1 Like

He’s completely wrong for serious news. Bec Maddern works but it’s painful to watch. I agree they need a fourth person at the desk. If only they hadn’t got rid of two full teams of capable journalists in the last two routs.

6 Likes

There’s currently some guy sitting on the end of the (crammed in the corner) desk in shorts and scruffy hair :face_with_monocle:

Ratings result for first week

2 Likes

Caps:

There was a flash of the old Nine News Now graphics at the beginning:

15 Likes

Tech segment at 7.20?
Seriously? This is just as bad as 6pm bulletins leading with Harry and Meghan quitting the royal family.
The weekend show rundown needs a serious look.

But I must say, Rebecca was fine but Richard was woeful as host. Stupid decision to let David Campbell go.

3 Likes

Appearance actually doesn’t look too bad unlike the previous backdrop which looked hideous in that studio with the awful lighting. Good enough before they move to North Sydney.

Must say Rebecca Maddern and Lauren Phillips seem to fit in pretty well on the show. But again no sports presenter just makes the whole thing cheap and Dickie just isn’t a great host. Even though he isn’t a journalist, I’d vast prefer David Campbell to come back and do WT because he does handle serious news very well.

6 Likes

Gosh, the monitor behind the newsreader is very high up and would look better lowered or even made vertical otherwise good use of a small studio.

2 Likes

Not the worst idea.

Too much change at once may be a bit overwhelming for the viewers, which may be why last year’s relaunch failed, because they changed the presenters, set and graphics at the same time.

5 Likes

Sunrise had the same problem when they changed all the sets, graphics and a presenter, all at once. They suffered a rating drop right after. Changes done gradually are less jarring.

6 Likes

Weekend Today coming from Studio 24 again this morning.

1 Like

Weekend Today is still lacking another personality. They should get a sports presenter. I can’t think of anyone apart from Julie Snook.

1 Like

https://9now.nine.com.au/today/today-behind-the-scenes-of-the-first-week/12093187-119c-4665-9c8f-8b00ff32fa08
Behind The Scenes on their first week on ‘Today’

12 Likes

I, Tonya is on TV tonight and it reminded me of the pisstake Sonia Kruger did called I, Sonia. Went to look for it on YouTube and can’t find it. Did channel 9 take it down?

I think a bit of it is in the first episode of two of Today Show Funny Bits from 2018 IIRC.
Also, I think it was shown on Sonia’s farewell montage, some of which is on Today’s YouTube page.

I should know this being the creator of those vids but I cbf going thought them all to find it so thanks! lol wonder if they took it down cause of producers involved? Sonia not there anymore or a copyright strike from the movie?

4 Likes

Haha, here it is.

I love these compilations!
2 Likes

You’d think a sports presenter is even more important at the weekend.

They should have kept Tom for Weekend Today really rather than Richard Wilkins.

2 Likes