The Royal Family

The King’s Birthday public holiday is scheduled for 26th September in WA. West Aussies could take a sickie on Friday and have a 5 day long weekend from

Victoria has a public holiday on 23rd September, the day before the AFL Grand Final, so a four day weekend for us.

3 Likes

Plenty more living and dead Australians actually deserving of that honour, surely.

1 Like

Frankly, can’t we wait until after her funeral, or even a few weeks after to start the republic conversations? IMO it’s a bit disrespectful to talk about becoming a republic the millisecond The Queen dies.

Not mainly directed here, but also with some Twitter conversations I’ve seen as well.

10 Likes
8 Likes

Good.

1 Like

I don’t see why any former monarch should have public holiday declared in her honour in Australia for eternity and also celebrate the current monarch’s birthday every year.

If we want to create a new public holiday, then how about creating an Indigenous public holiday to celebrate the history of this country which dates back tens of thousands of years.

1 Like

Will the general public be allowed to attend the National Memorial Service in Canberra for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II next Thursday? I cannot find any information anywhere and would like to attend to show my respect for the Queen.

https://forums.mediaspy.org/t/hm-queen-elizabeth-ii-1926-2022-news-coverage/20712/666?u=liamp

2 Likes

He was on Sky News UK not Australia’s version

does that change what he said?

2 Likes

The last two state funerals in the UK took place on Saturdays so no bank holiday was needed

1 Like

Kings George III, IV V and VI, King Edward VII and Queen Victoria’s funerals were held at Windsor Castle instead of Westminster Abbey.

The last monarch to have a state funeral at Westminster Abbey was King George II in 1760

1 Like

From next year, the Queen’s Birthday public holiday in Victoria will be renamed the King’s Birthday but the date stays the same. Other states and territories may follow suit.

2 Likes

So Queensland has the holiday then 11 days later we have Queens Birthday.

You don’t. 11 days later you will have the King’s Birthday.

2 Likes

Each state needs to change it themselves. Victoria did the other day. Has Queensland? If not, then it’s still the Queens Birthday.

See: https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/celebrity-life/royals/big-change-confirmed-for-public-holiday-in-victoria/news-story/b3da7130f176f1e2d7bde506bb029aa4?amp

2 Likes
1 Like

You know you’re getting old when… it suddenly dawns upon you that the next in line to the throne is 10 years younger than you :scream:

7 Likes