The increasingly crowded streaming market

Don’t know if this has been posted before but I found another one…

2 Likes

When I hear the name Gaia it reminds me of a kids tv show Captain Planet .

Are they serious with that pricing WTF $15.99 a month… ridiculous. The annual plan still has it over $10 a month at about $11 i suppose that sort of is decent . Then the third tier works out $35 a month though you can livestream all live events whatever that is .

2 Likes

i think the sorts of people that service appeals to would pay that, especially of they can’t get to the hot yoga studio due to lockdowns.

1 Like

Found out about this one yesterday. Never heard of it until now:

https://www.hayu.com/

Preview isn’t working but it’s pretty much just a streaming service for NBCUniversal reality shows.

1 Like

Hayu just celebrated their 5th anniversary of being available in Australia

5 Likes

Has been around for many years

2 Likes

Football fans will need 4 streaming services for the 21/22 season

1 Like

Depends on what you follow though - the probably biggest impact is for fans of the EPL sides who play in Europe

There is an existing thread on Hayu.

1 Like

Good analysis article by the ABC’s David Mark on the splintering of sporting rights across streaming platforms and pay TV.

2 Likes

Across the ditch, Kiwis have to subscribe to Spark to watch Champions League from next season with Sky only having A-League and FIFA events.

1 Like

Back in January Roku purchased all the unaired programs that had been made for failed short video streaming service Quibi. Some of the series were released on the Roku Channel in May, with more being released later this year. I wonder if any will turn up on a streaming service in Australia?

2 Likes
3 Likes

Does this include Australia? Or does Sportsflix still have this?

DAZN only has boxing here but it says globally

Yes, worldwide. All matches will be simulcast on YouTube for the first two seasons, with a third of matches on YouTube for the last two years.

Sportsflick had the rights previously, minus PSG matches which were on BeIN Sport.

1 Like

DAZN in Canada and around the world is a popular streaming service for sports. NFL, major football competitions and basketball are included.

5 Likes

An outfit that I had never heard of before today is The Market Herald, which is a stockmarket news website aimed at Australian investors that has a two minute news update every hour and state they make a couple of other programs. They appear to have big plans for what they call the Market Herald Business Television Network. The company is listed on the ASX. One of the bulletins from today:

https://themarketherald.com.au/

Presentation wise this looks quite good, set is nice and graphics are good - whilst some of the transitions are quite good quick. I didn’t even have enough time to read the tagline under the name.

The presenters annunciation could do with some work though, but overall not bad.