The increasingly crowded streaming market

With Disney and Apple set to launch its streaming offerings soon and the possibility of HBO entering the Australian market, the streaming marketplace is starting to look a bit crowded

5 Likes
4 Likes

It’s not just the pricing, it’s the mix of technologies, features and designs that is frustrating. Android and Apple TV’s attempt at organising the chaos should be commended but it’s still a huge mess for the user.

6 Likes

Still to me feels like we have 4 main ones , Stan , Netflix , Prime Video and Foxtel Now.

10 All Access with it’s 100 and something titles is really not worth signing up for .

Disney Plus and Apple , until they launch, probably still minor players in the Aussie market. Unless we get The Simpsons here … which I doubt.

2 Likes

Yes! add into that the inconsistency between platforms

4 Likes

This is probably what we will end up with (existing services in bold):

• Disney+
  • Fox (I’m sure new owner Disney will have Fox as a separate service due to its rich back catalogue)
  • Sony (maybe a reboot of their previous “Crackle” service)
  • NBC Universal (general entertainment and movies, separate to Hayu)
  • Hayu
  • 10 All Access (CBS)
  • Warner Bros (maybe Warner Archive)
  • HBO Max
  • MGM/United Artists
  • Dreamworks
  • Roadshow (with lots of Aussie content)
  • Netflix (with Netflix originals and little else)
  • Stan (with Paramount content)
  • Foxtel Go
  • Amazon Prime Video
  • Apple
  • YouTube Plus
  • 7plus extra (possible paid version of 7plus with no ads and some exclusive content)

That’s a total of 18 players in the market within the next 2-3 years.

3 Likes

You are forgetting Kayo and the Foxtel’s Drama service coming

Plus that British one that launched.

3 Likes

Acorn TV?

1 Like

in alphabetical order as requested, and with some possible additions:

• 7plus extra (possible paid version of 7plus with no ads and some exclusive content)
  • 10 All Access (CBS)
  • Acorn TV
  • Amazon Prime Video
  • Apple
  • BBC (possible)
  • Disney+
  • Dreamworks
  • Fox (I’m sure new owner Disney will have Fox as a separate service due to its rich back catalogue)
  • Foxtel Go
  • Foxtel drama/entertainment
  • Hayu
  • HBO Max
  • Kayo
  • MGM/United Artists
  • NBC Universal (general entertainment and movies, separate to Hayu)
  • Netflix (with Netflix originals and little else)
  • Roadshow (with lots of Aussie content)
  • Sony (maybe a reboot of their previous “Crackle” service)
  • Stan (with Paramount content)
  • Warner Bros (maybe Warner Archive)
  • YouTube Plus
    a total of 22
3 Likes

Not that I’m condoning it but the fragmentation of these services will ensure a resurgence in pirating content

3 Likes

Has pirating content dipped since the streaming services came along?

1 Like

First I’ve heard of it. What’s the details on it?

Its this fabled “Project Ares/Jupiter” that has been written about recently

1 Like

23 if you include free streaming service Tubi.

I am only mentioning paid streaming services in my list.

My experience is that nobody under the age of about 21-22 understands how to pirate content. It’s really just a single generation that got used to it pre-streaming.

4 Likes

I think there is room in the market for 5 main players. Most comparable countries have historically had 5 major free to air networks. And 5 subscriptions are about the historical cost of a foxtel subscription.
I think it will settle as Netflix, amazon and Disney as the big 3 and apple and Stan will be a second tier. The rest will fade away.

1 Like

I’m having flashbacks to a former workplace 15-20 years ago when younger colleagues would distribute the latest pirated material to the older members of staff on disc. I never had the patience or adequate internet speed to be bothered. I’d be in JB Hi-Fi every other week in those days looking for something binge worthy.

1 Like

I think there’ll be some consolidation of those streaming services in 18-24 months. It’s been economically proven that highly fragmented market does not survive. There can only be many slices in a pie before it breaks down.

Surely the studios are well aware of the negatives with a congested SVOD market. A lot of the services on that list are a maybe anyway. I think most of the services unavailable here will strongly consider using well established platforms like Stan or “Ares” before launching their own platforms here.