The Footy Show (NRL)

Brad Fittler’s interview with Brisbane’s Matt Gillett (McDonald’s Man of the Match) was chaotic to say the least. There were audio problems at the venue and Paul Vautin also spoke above Fittler’s voice twice.
Looks like MOTM for every Thursday night match will now be given at the start of the show.

More of the same. At least the timeslot is right this year.

Weren’t they going to do the first show of the year on location for the winning team of the grand final the previous year?

I remember last year the first episode was in Townsville after the North Qld Cowboys won the 2015 premiership. At the time I think they said they would now be doing this every year. But last night they were in the studio and not out at Cronulla.

2 Likes

So if Storm had won the Grand Final, last night’s show could have been at GTV Docklands studios (using the set of the AFL Footy Show perhaps)

That was David Gyngell’s order, maybe Hugh Marks withdrew it.

When they moved the show to Thursday it probably would have been logistically impossible to do the show from where the first game was played only moments before. If the show was on a Wednesday (Or the first game was a Friday) then I’m sure we would have seen the live show from the venue.

nine has made a big deal about streaming both footy shows though 9now for fans in the states where it’s not screened live.

it suprises me that these are not shown on GEM in the other states. i would have thought that it would have been a lock to do so (if i recall they used to do this on 9HD years ago)

2 Likes

Streamed exclusively Live on 9Now.com.au.

Only on certain devices it seems. Never been able to find The Footy Show live on 9now via Apple TV. It is on the iOS app.

Scandalous allegations.

NINE issues a statement

Nine: “It has nothing to do with her”
“What is happening between Anthony Bell and Kelly Landry in court is incredibly sad, both for them and their young children. However we are very disappointed that Erin’s name has been unfairly dragged into the family dispute. It has absolutely nothing to do with her. Erin’s relationship with Anthony Bell has only ever been strictly professional, both as a client and a crew member on Perpetual Loyal. Erin has never had any intimate relationship with Anthony Bell. Allegations to the contrary are false, offensive and defamatory.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/nsw/sydney-news-sport-and-weather-landry-live-blog/news-story/31a25806e0e432dd6dbbc7749493ba31

What happened to the last ad break? Never happened (at least on 9now). 3 minutes of audio from the studio.

Fatty just referred to TCN 9… “here at the TCN 9 studios”.

and…

This has been discussed on Media Spy many times over the years, but…

From the very little I’ve seen of The NRL Footy Show in recent years, it’s a pretty ordinary program. Fatty used to be somewhat funny back in the 1990s and the 1st half of the 2000s when paired with decent quality co-presenters/regular panellists, but now he’s just embarrassing to watch.

Erin Molan is a decent sports presenter on the Friday/Saturday night editions of Nine News Sydney or on other WWOS programs, but she doesn’t really suit this show IMO. Personally I do think a program like The Footy Show needs a female presenter to break up the blokiness a bit, but I’m not quite sure if Erin Molan (or on the AFL version, Rebecca Maddern) is the right female presenter for this type of show.

Beau Ryan…well where do I begin? And while Darryl “The Big Marn” Brohman seems like a decent enough bloke, I’m fairly indifferent about his role on the show.

I think The NRL Footy Show has been steadily declining in popularity and ratings since around the mid-2000s.

To give you an idea of how popular The NRL Footy Show used to be during the 1990s and even the 1st half of the 2000s, the highlights were made into annual end of year shows and DVD releases. I couldn’t imagine Nine doing something like this with the program as it is now!

I completely agree. Both versions of The Footy Show need to be completely relaunched (including the replacement of all presenters - yes, even Fatty & Sam) or axed entirely.

And by that, obviously I’m only referring to the Thursday night versions. At least The Sunday Footy Show (well, the NRL version anyway) actually seems to talk about football!

3 Likes

thanks for bumping up this thread up

I have watched bits and pieces of it over the last few years. I agree. It is pretty ordinary. I used to watch it religiously each week in the 1990s up to around 2005. It’s fallen since then.

Fatty was good. But he hasn’t really added much of late. Still saying the same jokes (ie - about having red air, being “fat” and still doing the head wobble). Yawn…!

I agree with Erin Molan. As a sports presenter on Nine News, she does well. She did a good job when she was a sports reporter too, covering several sports. She was even on The Sunday Footy Show a few years back doing “Around the Grounds” and thought that this role suited her. But on The NRL Footy Show - she sadly doesn’t suit it. Yvonne Sampson was great as host on the Sunday Footy Show, and could have been a good move for the Thursday show. But sadly, Fox Sports signed her up.

I don’t mind Daryl Brohman. As for Beau Ryan… I’m not the biggest fan out there. I know some who think he is hilarious. I cant see him being funny.

Oh yeah, I forgot about the end of year highlight shows and the yearly DVD’s. They even two (or 3?) Best of Footy Show Comedians DVDs out too. I cant see that happening these days either.

5 Likes

He’s as funny as that jockey Robbo was years ago … and Robbo wasn’t funny.

3 Likes

I guess I’m in the minority here, but I actually really enjoy the show! It’s probably only been in the last 5-6 years that I’ve begun watching loyally, but I think the show at the moment is at a great stage.

I can really see there is genuine camaraderie between the four regulars on the panel, and that’s something that I think would effect the show greatly if one of them was to move on. It’s something that has to come natural - try to force it and it just doesn’t work…look at Hutchy and Sam on the AFL Footy Show this year.

I too was a bit skeptical with Erin’s promotion to co-host a couple of years back, but I think she’s grown into her role well, I think her and Fatty bounce off each other well too as co-hosts.

The format for this years show has been great, with a good balance of footy related discussions/stories, and other “entertainment” type segments like Joking Off, Beau Knows etc. Between The Sticks is great for regional viewers too, with little known country rugby league clubs getting their names on the air which no doubt is well received.

I’m not all that knowledgeable on ratings, but I’d say a large chunk of the audience would be the regional viewers - those outside of the capital cities? And I’m sure it’s these viewers that have pushed the show over the line for the 11 Logies they’ve won over the years!

As long as Channel 9 have the NRL rights, I can’t see too much changing with The Footy Show, and that’s a good thing. The only other time that I could see a major re-brand occurring is if Fatty was to hang up the boots - which I hope doesn’t happen any time soon (I really like the guy!).

While in the view of some, it doesn’t live up to it’s golden era of the early 2000’s, I think the show serves it’s purpose of a genuinely good, entertaining and informative show. Well done on 24 years, here’s to many more!

That’s just what I think anyway… :slight_smile:

Sorry you’re on your own here. The show is atrocious. Nine has some decent programming on their cards (as the case with ANW), but The Footy Show isn’t one of them.

3 Likes

That Bec on the AFL version hosted Ninja Warrior didn’t she?

Fordham to host the NRL Footy Show then? :smiley:

1 Like