The Footy Show (NRL)

I know this probably won’t happen, but The NRL Footy Show either needs the biggest relaunch it’ll ever get (including the replacement of all presenters) or to be axed in favour of something else.

3 Likes

Isn’t there one every year? The whole format of these shows is incredibly dated now.

1 Like

Fatty will lose viewers to Matty when they go Head-to-Head.

Fatty (and the Footy Show) actually have any viewers to lose? lol. It hasn’t rated for years!

1 Like

I know that

Only previewed the nine games last year

It’s just there families left watching - and even them I think will be lost to Matty

1 Like

NRL FOOTY SHOW IS BACK HOME ON THURSDAY NIGHTS WITH THE FOOTY

Starting Thursday 2 March with the Footy LIVE at 7.30 on Nine

The Logie Award-winning NRL Footy Show will return to its spiritual home of Thursday night in 2017 – beginning March 2 at 7.30pm, forming a formidable combination with Nine’s LIVE and FREE Thursday Night Football.

Footy Show panellists Paul “Fatty” Vautin, Erin Molan, Beau Ryan and Darryl “The Big Marn” Brohman will be there before, during and after the action when the Cronulla Sharks host the Brisbane Broncos to start the 2017 NRL season.

In The Footy Show’s 24th year, rugby league fans will get unprecedented access straight from the get-go, taking you inside the winning team sheds for a post-match insight like never before.

Joining the Footy Show team on a regular basis throughout the season, to provide expert commentary and a few laughs along the way, will be some of the game’s biggest names including Johnathan Thurston, Billy Slater, Sam Thaiday, James Maloney, Matt Moylan, as well as Jillaroos superstar Allana Ferguson and rugby league’s most loveable larrikin, Tommy Raudonikis, who will feature every week.

Everyone’s favourite segments are returning for 2017, headed up by Small Talk with The Big Marn, where Darryl Brohman will again put the footy schoolkids of Australia under the spotlight with more unscripted hilarious moments.

One of the show’s most popular segments, Player Probe, is back with a twist. This year the superstars of the NRL will go one on one with our own Beau Ryan, opening up to The Footy Show on all sorts of topics.

Speaking of Beau, Beau Knows is back, and he will continue to deliver his unique interviews and segments with his Hollywood heavyweight mates. Beau will have some new surprises as he reunites with his old partner in crime, Sharks star and two-time premiership winner, Chris Heighington.

Aussie actor/writer and director Brendan Cowell (now based in London) takes on the role of The Footy Show European and UK Correspondent, filing his first report from Wigan at the World Club Challenge, flying the Sharkies flag and singing “Up, Up, Cronulla.”

There will be more new segments including Between The Sticks, a weekly roundup of the best of country and local footy as well as keeping an eye on the NSW and Queensland Cups. And a new competition will feature the best team victory songs each week performed by any footy team in the land.

The Footy Show will hit the road this year with both State of Origin teams. Origin I will see the full show travelling to join the New South Wales Blues in their pre-game camp, and then it’s off to regional Queensland to capture all the Maroon madness in the build-up to Origin II. The final big outside broadcast will be our Grand Final spectacular, an all ages extravaganza in the sensational new ICC Sydney Theatre at Darling Harbour.

In an exciting and emotional initiative for 2017, Nine, in combination with the NRL and the Mark Hughes Foundation, officially announced today that Round 11 will exclusively be branded Beanies for Brain Cancer Round, with all funds raised going directly towards brain cancer research.

Footy Show favourite Paul “The Chief” Harragon joined his former Newcastle Knights premiership-winning teammate Mark Hughes to speak on the announcement today.

“I’m very proud to be an ambassador for the official Beanies for Brain Cancer Round,” Harragon said.

“Matt Callander and Mark Hughes are very dear friends of mine and both are fighting brain cancer. It’s very endearing that Matt, who came up with the concept, wanted all funds raised to go through the Mark Hughes Foundation.

“This is a very important initiative to raise awareness and funds which are absolutely vital to the pursuit of better treatments, remedies and ultimately a cure for brain cancer.”

Home Timber & Hardware and Sportsbet return to the show as long-running sponsors, joined this year by Chemist Warehouse and Telstra as the four major partners on the NRL Footy Show – the original and the best NRL footy program on Australian television.

Note: Start time referenced above by Nine is for the NRL rather than The Footy Show and only applies to Sydney. Other markets should check local guides for start times.

Promo

1 Like

That promo looks like a new low, even for The NRL Footy Show…

3 Likes

sigh.

So they still haven’t learnt from their past mistakes, and decided to go to the usual so-called slapstick comedy? It was funny the first few times they did comedy on the show in the 1990s. It hasn’t been funny since, with the same recycled jokes over and over again!

1 Like

I don’t see why they just drop the facade that they are a football show anymore and just call it The Fatty Show. Leave The Footy Show on Sunday to do be the actual footy show.

There are other sports programs that like to have fun (like Santo, Sam & Ed’s Total Football) but at least they still talk about sport most of the show instead of shoehorning it in to a 10 minute segment.

Mind you I’ve barely watched The Footy Show over the past decade.

4 Likes

Are they fucking kidding with that promo. So the show is still the same old shit from the 90s. They should’ve axed it long ago.

Nine are lucky they have Thursday night football to prop up their Thursday schedule in the northern states.

2 Likes

It wasn’t shit in the 90’s or early 2000’s. Derailed and turned to shit when Sterlo, Matty and the Chief left. Now it’s so bad. So bad! They have an opportunity to blow the show up and start again with more footy talk, limited dress up shit. But no, someone there thinks the way to success is to change nothing from the previous years which has failed and rated terrible!!! Sad!

3 Likes

Although excluding State Of Origin and the NRL Grand Final when viewers have to watch Nine for live coverage, I think the new Fox League channel will erode some of Nine’s rugby league audience this year.

Yep, I agree.

And don’t people generally frown upon doing “blokes in dresses” stuff for comedy these days?! :confused:

After watching this promo Nine expects you to want to watch The Footy Show :frowning:

3 Likes

Sterlo appeared on at least one show last year. Fatty asked him at the end of the segment if he would be back, Sterlo laughed shook his head and said no.

1 Like

The year before last Fatty noticed Sterlo in the background near the audiance in plain clothes after finishing his show on Fox and he came over to the desk and fatty said ‘Wanna come back’ and he did the same thing. Awkward. But who would wanna go backwards, particuarly when it’s gotten far worse!

1 Like

Even Beau used to be good when he first came on in 2010/11 but has gradually gotten far worse.
Big Marn is the only person who can keep it afloat literally.
All seriousness though I do like Daryl funny but knowledgable, but won’t be tuning in again this year!

1 Like

2 Likes