The Footy Show (AFL)

Do not agree. Sam Newman is definitely not the drawcard for me. I would watch this every week if he werent on it.

3 Likes

Somehow, I don’t think the show has ever been aimed at you then…

Pity because i liked it besides him.

Hang on, is this the show where they’re perched behind a desk full of branded beers, like they’re in some sort of cheap pub? I can’t imagine anything more STALE and DATED, to be totally honest.

5 Likes

You consider one beer per person as a cheap pub?

Haven’t the ratings for the NRL Footy Show been on a worse decline than The AFL version in the last decade? Yes, I know that the AFL Show has suffered a bigger dip in more recent years (since Lyons and now with Brayshaw gone). But surely work needs to be done to BOTH Footy Shows.

Could Nine have waited a little over two months until the season is finished to get rid of Hutchy and consider a new relaunch? And make big announcements for next year? Or is the show completely damaged territory now?

(Nine needs to relaunch NRL version too, but it needs to be discussed in its own thread)

1 Like

Hutchy will remain host of Footy Classified.

Yes no doubt about that but I think the show survives because it would be embarrassing to axe it while they hold the NRL rights. Not sure but I think sponsors really pay a lot of money which helps.

4 Likes

I’d wondered whether Hutchy even wanted to do it (i.e.) he’s been forced or pressured?

Looked lost every Thursday & so awkward.

Yet he’s so good on Footy Classified on Mondays.

The news sites are hinting at a possible return for Trevor Marmalade so the original trio of Eddie, Sam and Trev are reunited.

2 Likes

If they are going to go back to being very “blokey” with an a more “PC incorrect” Sam, plus Ed and maybe Trevor as well, that’s probably going to make poor Bec look and feel a bit awkward.

Basically reverting back to the old format - not surprised to be hearing Trevor could be back, though I’d give it to Hughesy.
It will be interesting to see how they “re-birth” the show…

I feel the show was more professional with Eddie at the helm…the overwhelming “blokeyness” started with Brayshaw, I feel.

3 Likes

The relaunched AFL Footy Show logo has been revealed.

Previous logo for comparison:

4 Likes

Remiscant of the original logo from the 90s and early 2000s

8 Likes

Still will be watching The Front Bar.

4 Likes

The New Footy Show that starts Tomorrow Night has been kept Under Wraps, so it’ll be Interesting what Surprises Come Up?

1 Like

Anyone prepared to tip the ratings spike for this one?

Bec Maddern’s debut spiked at 582,000 nationally last year (Thursday 7 April 2016). I would think Eddie would have more pulling power and particularly with the mystery around what the show is going to be like.

1 Like

Well I reckon there will be a reintroduction of “the bar” probably set changes to reflect the now/old logo again.

Tomorrow night’s return of Eddie McGuire should return to the 400k-ish mark in Melbourne.

But drop in the weeks following.

The Front Bar has built a loyal audience now and they’re not going to drop off all of a sudden, certainly long term.