The Amazing Race

It’s the timeslot the show had for much of its run in the past; fans seemed to be able to find it there and it was competitive against the competition in the time slot. Last night’s number was on par with those ratings.

1 Like

Does anyone still watch free to air TV as it airs?

I haven’t watched a live TV show in literally years.

I watch it online the day it comes out. Barely watch anything live on FTA these days, pretty much only sport and big live events like Eurovision.

2 Likes

I have Binge, but still watch FTA most of the time.

Forgot Eurovision. I do watch that live.

1 Like

I notice that in the episode two weeks ago (the end of the mega leg in Florence), the winning team received Expedia points for a trip for two to Sydney, including a Sydney Harbour cruise and wine tasting at Hunter Valley.

It will be great if the US version returns to Australia for real next year.

3 Likes

Sorry if this has been posted before but I just found this online. Seems some of the rules have changed over time, because I recall in very early seasons the contestants were allowed to beg for money. That was in the seasons when the last team to a pitstop had to hand over all their money before continuing.

It was Will who tested positive to COVID. Will and Abby was isolating in separate rooms in their hotel in Amman, Jordan, when Phil spoke to them via Zoom. Will and Abby were immediately eliminated while the other seven teams began their day’s race at the same time.

Glenda and Lumumba arrived last at the pit stop and would start the next leg 45 minutes after the first group.

I caught up with the last four episodes last week. It included another mega leg in southern Spain, with a roadblock and a detour in Malaga, and a roadblock and a detour in Ronda, on the same day. Based on the pitstops, the overall route was just another race across Europe with a sidetrip to Jordan.

The theme for the mega leg was paying attention to detail. Marcus and Michael fell well behind in the Malaga roadblock (assembling six panels to form the Picasso painting The Three Musicians), because Marcus didn’t realise the back panel was turned upside down until well into the task. The army friends could not catch up with the other four teams and were eliminated.

The final two episodes will be shown on Seven this Wednesday and next Wednesday.

Interesting to see the teams in two seater convertible vehicles. Usually there is room for the camera operator and sound person in the vehicle, but in the convertibles they had the camera mounted to the windscreen.

They always manage to make the viewers think the last two teams are competing to get to the pitstop first but this isn’t always true. Based on the shadows the twins were at least a couple of hours ahead of the army friends, despite it looking like they were a lot closer.

In another interview, Molly said her sister Emily tore some muscle fibres while competing in Jordan, and ended up with the fracture in her left knee.

I watched my recording of the finale yesterday and was pleased with the result. Former Big Brother US housemates and dating couple Derek and Claire were deserved winners, taking out four legs including the final leg in Nashville. Molly and Emily performed consistently to finish second, despite Emily competing on one leg for most of the race. Luis and Michelle had a poor start but from leg 4 onwards, never dropped out of top four.

The final task (memory challenge) was a homage to the Amazing Race theme, which was performed by an orchestra inside the Nashville Municipal Museum.

The thing I disliked most during this season was the Mega Leg concept, with two detours and two roadblocks on the same day. It was good for the producers (creating drama) but bad for the teams involved. I loved the Scramble (competing multiple tasks in any order) on the first leg though, and hope it will be kept for Season 35.

Speaking of Season 35, it was filmed in October and November this year. Again, a charter plane was used to carry the teams and crew from one country to another.

2 Likes

CBS has renewed into season 35.

6 Likes

CBS has announced that for season 35, each episode will be 90 minutes long with ads (currently 60 minutes with commercials). It will again be paired with Survivor on Wednesday nights in the Fall schedule in the US.

2 Likes

Ugh! Are they copying what Australia does with bloated reality shows?

2 Likes

CBS is hoping that by extending both Survivor and TAR to 90 minutes each, it will solve the problem of what to show in the Wednesday 9.30pm timeslot. Apparently CBS has troubles with programs in the timeslot in recent years (The Real Love Boat US was pulled after four episodes last year).

1 Like

So, bloated reality shows is the future. :slightly_frowning_face:

2 Likes

Too long and will probably be too hard to retain interest for 90 mins.

4 Likes

90 minutes may be too long for some people, but if it means that EVERY task done during each leg gets to be shown on TV, then I am all for it.

In previous seasons, some tasks were omitted from broadcast and were only revealed by either the show’s social media accounts or eliminated teams.

2 Likes

CBS has announced season 35 will premiere in America on Wednesday, September 27. The Australian airdate is yet to be confirmed.

4 Likes