The Amazing Race Australia

I think we needed to see how hopeless the second team were at solving the puzzle since they had not kept records of their past challenges. They didn’t show how the third team went with that puzzle at all. I was wondering whether they made them skip it completely, since the race was already over or were they made to complete that too.

Also, perhaps they should have made it a bit more difficult between the puzzle and finish line.

1 Like

Really happy that Heath & Toni won. Was stoked I was wrong about Frankie & Angel winning.

Though as amazing as the outcome it was still a horrible shit show.

The last challenges felt so underwhelming, even the helicopter one, felt meh. I did love the sand castle one though, but maybe not on the finale episode.

The Amazing Race Australia, if it ever comes back, really has to iron out the production kinks because they have had more than enough time to do so.

The equal roadblock rule is still not enforced. It just isn’t fair to load them up on one person. You should only be as strong as the weakest person.

Changing the time penalty duration constantly mid race just sucked and was completely unfair. It was also sus from a production perspective, almost like they were heavily manipulating the outcome of who went home some episodes.

Allowing players to quit challenges so easily with short time penalties just cheapens the show. Watching players give up so easily isn’t fun to watch especially as so many people would kill to be in their position for a chance to win a large sum of money.

The challenges were such a let down. They looked cheap and easy in the fact that the teams shouldn’t have to take a long time time to complete them. There was also way too many gross eating ones.

Self driving with the coordinates already input also sucked. Watching teams get hopelessly lost is half the fun.

The countries visited weren’t the best either. Not many lush green ones, just lots of desert, red earth and desolate landscapes.

Then there’s the idiot host and his cringe ‘banter’ with the greeters.

3 Likes

In this weeks episode of the Amazing Race in the US a team tested positive for Covid. I felt like they dealt with it much better than the Australian version did.

What would they have done if several teams tested positive?

1 Like

What did they do?

The couple was immediately eliminated and there was no elimination that episode. Instead for the next episode all the couples would leave in groups of 2 except for the couple who came in last place. That couple would leave 45 minutes after the first group.

2 Likes

I don’t think that immediately eliminating an unfortunate team that tested positive through no fault of their own is a better outcome. Something like 6 or 7 teams tested positive for covid in the Australian version - eliminating them all would have been problematic for the show to have content all the way through to the end.

2 Likes

They had 20 teams on this season, if Australian TV networks weren’t so obsessed with extending their reality shows unnecessarily that wouldn’t have been a problem. I think that it was very unfair that some teams got to skip multiple legs and continue racing at the expense of much better more competitive teams.

2 Likes

But it would have finished 6-9 episodes earlier and they woold have just wasted the planning of the second half of the season. We wouldn’t have seen as many countries and it would have ended in the middle of nowhere rather than back in Australia.

2 Likes

Toni had been diagnosed with brain tumour and is being treated with chemotherapy and a new immunotherapy drug. Toni and Heath went out for dinner on the night the prizemoney was deposited in their bank account, but Toni felt unwell after drinking a glass of prosecco and collapsed in the restaurant.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/the-amazing-race-australia-winner-toni-hillands-brain-tumour-diagnosis/news-story/a942e53eaecc907448f64f655573cd37

2 Likes

Heartbreaking. They were amazing on the show and Toni is such an inspiration. :cry:

4 Likes

Toni revealed on Instagram on Thursday that she and Heath are expecting a baby girl in April, thanks to a friend named Dea, who offered to be a surrogate.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/fiona-byrne/baby-miracle-for-melbourne-reality-tv-star-as-she-battles-terminal-cancer/news-story/9e15cdf487a495047ddf4b81ff113ddd

Earlier this month, Toni and Heath also picked up the Isuzu MU-X that they won as part of the prize on the reality show.

4 Likes

Such a lovely couple. Really happy for them.

4 Likes

Is there a celeb version coming up? Em Rusciano mentioned on her podcast this week she was asked to compete with her husband Scott.

Great way to stick the final nail to the coffin if it’s true.

2 Likes

Sad thing is, they’d be thinking it’ll do the opposite :roll_eyes:

The Amazing Race China (four seasons from 2014 to 2017) involved at least one celebrity in each team.

Yeah and that didn’t even last as long as the Australian version.

The Chinese TV landscape is also a very different one compared to Australia (Ala the amount of cross-promotion and product placement they allow puts The Block to shame).

Heath and Toni’s new daughter Amelia was born via surrogate just before Easter.

3 Likes

Fantastic news for such an awesome, strong couple.

1 Like