Super Radio Network

Strange. To be fair the signal is a bit noisy in ol Coffs town so I just assumed it was gone.

2 Likes

AM equivalent of FM RDS? :grin:

Stereo I’m sure you mean.

2AD Armidale was off air this afternoon, might still be off as I type?
Electricity outage at the site & surrounding area I believe, guess the backup generator no longer works, converting to FM won’t fix being cheap & not doing site maintenance. Though that sort of stuff will be for someone else to look after.

2 Likes

I do know that one of 2AD’s masts collapsed a while back and hasn’t been replaced. The sooner it goes to FM the better.

2 Likes

Yes & I have a feeling they didn’t reduce power to 2kW OD like it should be, think they might have left it running at 5kW OD?

3 Likes

I’m sure 2AD was always 2kW not 5

2 Likes

Now you’re making me think, but I’m pretty sure it was 5kW DA, I don’t know of any directional AM’s that are 2kW?

2 Likes

ACMA list has 2AD as 2kw DA.

3 Likes

Yeah has always been 2kw DA, tho it’s always ran a little hotter during my time working for the network even when it became OD

Another station I worked for 4CC 666 Biloela is also 2kw DA, I think there are a few :thinking:

3 Likes

If Radio97’s studios are located in NSW, why is their studio number a QLD number (starting with QLD code ‘07’)?

1 Like

Because the ‘07’ area code actually extends down into Tweed Heads. It’s a similar story in other border regions, where Wodonga has the ‘02’ area code instead of ‘03’ despite being in VIC, whilst it’s the opposite at Deniliquin (ie. 03 instead of 02) in NSW.

6 Likes

I’m pleased the Super Radio Network keeps local phone numbers, the temptation would be there to use 131269 everywhere for AM.

1 Like

I wonder if 2GF will change from 6642 1206?

2 Likes

Given some of their stations have some decent overlap, how would a single number work?

1 Like

Probably similar to however SCA does it as they are in a similar situation with Hit and Triple M.

1 Like

Only thing is, SCA’s setup costs money.

1 Like

I use to work in telco so I can explain how a 13 number works.

For someone like Nova / Hit / KIIS networks they advertise one number on air. for all of their stations 132410, 131060 and 131065. These advertised numbers point to designated telephone numbers at each of their capital city stations. For example if you ring 132410 in Sydney and NSW the call will go to Nova 969, and if in Brisbane and QLD 132410 would forward your call to Nova 106.9.

For places like Tweed Heads on the border of NSW and QLD in the receiving range of Nova 106.9, B105, and KIIS 97.3. The radio stations can setup what is called Postcode Routing., this allows the stations to select the postcode areas in Northern NSW for the calls to go to the Brisbane network station rather than Sydney.

For network programming such as Drive and Nights the 13 number is programmed to send all calls Australia wide to the station providing the program.
Nova 96.9 and KIIS 106.5 provide their network Drive shows so all calls on their 13 numbers go to Sydney, and for SCA Hit Network to Melbourne where their drive show comes out of.

The radio stations would have large phone accounts, and have account managers who manage their accounts. They would make sure their 13 numbers are set up correctly at all times., and can make quick changes when necessary.

I am sorry if I bored everyone.

15 Likes

New 2GF studio number is (02) 66-4-22-895.
6642-1206 still operates.

7 Likes

I was thinking about what it would look like if 2SM were to can FUN and DANCE Super Digi and just have Gorilla and rebrand ZOO to GEM Super Digi.

GEM would carry the 80’s to Now network playout and have the Morning Crew from New FM.

Here is some designs:

5 Likes

Looking at the various stations websites, including the fact that New FM’s afternoon/drive shift has been extended until 7pm, it appears that Kate, Tim & Joel are no longer heard on the Super Radio Network’s FM stations.

According to the following station’s website, ZZZ FM in Lismore are now carrying Will & Woody at 5-7pm weekdays. It’s not clear on whether the other Super Network FM stations (exc. New FM) are also carrying the program.

5 Likes