Super Radio Network

That would likely be a result of ARN now owning TRSN - which represents agency sales for BOG stations.

It’d be wonderful if some BOG stations took advantage of this, rather than taking the NewFM network feed from 3/4pm weekdays.

4 Likes

Will & Woody syndicated across Super Radio Network (radiotoday.com.au)

Nova’s Kate, Tim & Joel yet again booted from another regional network.

Interesting that NewFM won’t be taking Will & Woody, even though NewFM/2HD’s Guy Ashford is quoted in this article.

2 Likes

Will & Woody must be cheaper

4 Likes

Yes, two should be cheaper than three :grin:

1 Like

I notice that @hatdj is looking for another brekkie jock on NowFM.

What happened to the current one?

1 Like

Got another job closer to home :roll_eyes: So new jock needed ASAP

So if you know anyone who needs a start in Commercial Radio tell them to shoot me some audio & a resume to pd@now983.com.au

2 Likes

@hatdj Would you be able to setup live streaming for Now FM, I would love to TuneIn from time to time.

1 Like

Been listening to Snow FM/Eagle FM in recent nights and they have like a “Hot 30”-style countdown at 7:00pm every night.

What I like about that segment is they regularly/frequently play the fresh new music that Nova FM refuses to, such as Mimi Webb’s two recent songs “Ghost of You” and “Red Flags”.

Tonight, I heard the former followed immediately after by a throwback song - “Breakeven” by The Script.

2 Likes

Featuring our own @hatdj.

2 Likes

I’d say at least some of the problem here is Caralis won’t pay extra to dangle a carrot in front of potential announcers to make a move to somewhere inland.

It’s not expensive to live in Moree and you could probably live comfortably off what they give you but a $5-$10k increase off the base would help considerably.

It makes sense to blind Freddy but not Caralis it seems.

7 Likes

The Caralis stations also have a fairly negative reputation of being sleepy places with insufficient, underpaid, overworked staff, old technology and an unprofessional product. While some of that might be justified, the Moree stations are some of better stations in the network and working in an environment like that can be an incredible stepping stone for someone young and keen. It might not have the glitz and glamour of a major network (some of which have regional stations which the above description could also apply to) but learning the craft of radio with older gear that can’t do as much fancy/convenient stuff makes a very skilled operator. As does having to juggle additional roles in production, promotions or sales. Experience at a Caralis station is looked upon favourably when apply for jobs with the bigger networks as they know that means the applicant will have a wide variety of skills and experience.

A great example of a Super Radio Network up and comer is Hope Endean at FM104.7 Grafton. (As featured on Radio Today and TikTok @hopeontheradio). The opportunity she’s been given to work in radio at such a young age just wouldn’t have been there if she lived in almost any other town in Australia.

10 Likes

^^^ this.

Like many others, I can be critical of BOG in aspects (pay conditions etc) but the network produces brilliant talent and it’s a great stepping stone for young people. They just need to show initiative and work hard for a year or two in the country first. Sadly, a lot of young people want to walk in the door at Fox or KIIS et al.

6 Likes

Does anybody know what’s happening at Max107.3 Taree?

Their arvos announcer has just relocated to do Late Nights on NewFM (and the SRN FM network), and their brekkie announcer has also announced they’re leaving.

1 Like

Its not just an issue for a specific industry or employer though - the reality is that many people are unwilling to relocate to regional areas and the issues that Now FM is seeing getting a breakfast announcer aren’t dissimilar to those being faced by the local accountant, doctors surgery and council (to name but a few) in getting appropriately skilled/qualified people.

Many employers are offering things like well above award or industry average wages, subsidised accommodation, and additional leave and it’s still not getting people in the door.

Its a major problem that is showing no signs of getting better any time soon.

5 Likes

The issue is widespread across all occupations: in a lot of regional towns there is absolutely no likelihood of a young person finding a rental house. Unless they are lucky enough to get a room in a share house, it’s the caravan park(maybe) or perhaps the pub.

Even if you have coin to buy a house, its high risk as a layoff may mean having to sell up into a buyers market to move to your next job.

3 Likes

And it’s too expensive to buy and sell houses with stamp duty, real estate commissions etc.

Could NOW FM do a shared breakfast with Gunnedah or Inverell until such time they can get a new host? Or with 2VM?

If they have the means to do it, they could do it remotely. Not ideal but I doubt the average radio listener would even know that the Moree breakfast show is being presented from a study in St Ives.

On a side note it will only be a matter of time before radio licence areas are merged. Tamworth, Gunnedah, Moree, Inverell and Armidale could well end up being merged into a single licence area.

That would not necessarily be a bad thing if it ensured that local content and news coverage could be more robustly maintained … eg. If Moree lost a journalist, local news could still be produced via the regional hub as an interim measure.

One other issue is you couldn’t merge consistently due to differing ownership structures eg, what would happen in Lithgow which is not owned by a network.

And if the owner wanted to sell up, they’d have the sell the whole licence, unlike now where stations could be sold separately.

Moree and Inverell have shared duties in the past. Like Managerial and News functions so it is possible.

@hatdj could move to Breakfast and then NEW FM takes over at 10am or a combined GEM FM Inverell/NOW FM Moree show kicks in until 2pm.

There is/was a combined news bulletin for Tamworth, Armidale and Gunnedah.

1 Like

@hatdj would agree that is not the best solution due to NowFM’s local client commitments. I know othey have their “The Wall” music feature each weekday which would be difficult to achieve if they take the network feed.

Then again, NowFM could always program its own log & just go announcer-free all day to make up for it?

… If I was at a BOG FM station, I’d be doing this regardless - and rejoin the network at 5pm weekdays for Will & Woody …

3 Likes