Sunrise

I think his first date presenting Sunrise after permanently replacing Chris Reason would’ve been 14/10/2002 (or thereabouts), though he did present on 4/10/2002:

Source: MolksTVTalk1

6 Likes

Nelson is a big loss to Sunrise. The timing of his departure is interesting given new management have just started and Eddy being due back soon.

6 Likes

I don’t think Sunrie’s drop in ratings is related to Koche being away this week. I’ve been noting that the show’s numbers have been down in the ratings threads each day and even made a special post to highlight this.

On Thursday the margin was even closer than Wednesday - Sunrise slipped below the 200k mark and was only 5,000 ahead of Today that was 20k ahead of News B.

Today’s Brisbane audience was more than double that of Sunrise that recorded the lowest audience I can recall seeing for the show - interesting to know what has caused the audience to desert the program in SEQ. Once again Today’s Brisbane audience was the biggest of any program in any market. I think that is possibly the story!

Syd T > S > N
Mel N > S > T
Bri T > N > S
Ade S > T > N
Per S > T > N

2 Likes

I can’t pinpoint anything but Sunrise was starting to have some wins this year until not that long ago.

In Brisbane Sunrise rated equal to the The Morning Show and below Today Extra and Early Today (6am).

There does seem to be a general switch off from Seven in Brisbane - perhaps related. At this point of the week just 2 ahead of 10 in total people.

As I said the other day there is a general turn off, I feel. I think it stems from a poor prime time, which affects the news hour prior and the afternoon generally. It seems to flow over to the next morning as well.
Even (the extremely average) Weekend Today beats Weekend Sunrise consistently.

7 needs a good overhaul generally.
Gimmicks like the cash giveaway during the news hour aren’t working.
And they can’t just rely on events like the Winter Olympics and Commonwealth games to prop up their year. They should be a sort of mini relaunch but it all just falls flat when there’s no depth to their schedule.
Move H&A to Wednesday/Thursday 7.30-8.30. The Latest/current affairs at 7pm, The Latest at 9.30/10pm.
It’s worth a try.

Do local news inserts need to come back for QLD?

I think this could be part of it… interesting to note though this is a similar pattern to last year. Sunrise dominates the first 6 months… then drops off over winter.

1 Like

No. They did nothing over summer and Sunrise rated better after they ended.

2 Likes

Yeah, unfortunately I’m cynical too and I think that that is very disappointing. He will be missed greatly.

Yeah a bit hard to tell at the moment, but Sunrise is on track this week for one of its lowest weekly averages ever.

It’d be interesting to see if he has settled after the management change. Sunrise losing Kochie, Nelson and the Cash Cow doesn’t bode well for them next year in my opinion.

5 Likes

Maybe more visits by Sam Mac but not just Brisbane, more of Qld generally… and actually with some prior promotion, not just he’s suddenly in Qld one morning. How is that supposed to improve ratings if no one knows to watch?

3 Likes

Sunrise outrated Today in Brisbane during this year’s floods when they were broadcasting from here, IIRC.

I get the feeling it’s more that Eddy is coming back early because Nelson is leaving somewhat unexpectedly.

I don’t think that would be the case, Kochie and Nat are capable of giving entertainment and showbiz reports until Eddy wants to come back.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Peter Ford somewhat replaces Nelson as “showbiz editor”, given he worked under Sarah Stinson on The Morning Show for years, and Sarah now oversees Sunrise.

1 Like

Nelson is a entertainment journalist, Peter Ford is a gossiper.

7 Likes

His Twitter bio claims otherwise, he’s followed by journalists of note and he’s been doing it for longer than you’ve been alive yet you want to dismiss him as a “gossiper”.

3 Likes

Has Sunrise or Seven News Queensland trash-talked the QLD government in recent times? This time last year their downfall was because of their consistent anti-government stance with regards to reporting Queensland’s COVID response so it wouldn’t surprise me if it’s because of this again.

There are many things Queenslanders love (Nine for example) but Seven and Sunrise are definitely on the top of their hate list.

Definitely not, that all changed when Armytage left.
And for what it’s worth, Qld is where Sunrise first became popular, and always was until the last few years.

PRomo for next week includes a competition + Ash Barty revealing her next career move.

4 Likes