Sports Tonight

Slick looking production…great job channel ten! :+1::ok_hand:

That desk really suits that set quite well. Probably should replace the circle one on 5pm news.

1 Like

Such a multichannel would still need Australian content, wouldn’t it.

Sports Tonight to go Friday to Monday? That’s my guess.

ST on ONE

2 Likes

Ten is bringing back their retro 2D 90s logo on their sports broadcasts.

2 Likes

How is Spree TV classified as at present? datacast or broadcast? Doing some reading just now its classified as datacast, so I can’t see why it should not be considered on a revenue share split, to meet any local content rules they could simply add TEN News re-broadcast & hourly updates, it has to be better than what they have on right now.

Anyway it was “what I would do” scenario to fix TEN Network, just throwing it out in the digital space.

The problem is… coming off the back of the news might face issues with studio space and preparation.

I’m not sure of the logistics of the studios and where it is filmed but we used to have the News and Sports tonight back to back in the past. No reason the same studios can’t be used either. It’s more an extension of the news.

1 Like

I think Sports Tonight used to be filmed under the stairwell, adjacent to the main set. So it’s possible, but not with the current setup.

Edit: And also they used the screen to the right of the news desk, but that was more for the single presenter standing format.

4 Likes

Yes. As seen here, with the old Sports Tonight title banner partially visible on the upper mezzanine wall (top-left)

5 Likes

Unless you move weekend news down to Melbourne.

1 Like

Wouldn’t be surprised if this happens but the same control room crew does the news and sports tonight which is better than having another control room going in another state.

1 Like

I assume this anyway…could be wrong?

I wouldn’t say it’s necessarily retro, I for one wouldn’t want to see the multicolour Ten News intro back any time soon. But the new 2D look is fantastic.

The violins in the theme (at the opening pan) IMO don’t mesh with the circuit board look of the set, but the rest of the theme is fine.

2 Likes

If Sports Tonight can’t return as a weekly program at the moment, perhaps they could integrate “ST” News into the regular News updates, playing after every second update or something similar, as @cmo mentioned so that the Sports Tonight brand can get some exposure outside weekends to further re-establish the brand as a Ten staple.

Also, I think it would provide a point of difference to the other Networks, as theirs are the generic Sports updates, whereas Sports Tonight is a fully Sports driven program, providing a more in-depth look into all Sports codes for the day. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I would do ST Branded Sports updates twice a night, presented by the local sports presenters. Just use ST GFX and send all markets a generic ST Background like what is behind Matt.

3 Likes

AFAIK When news/studio 10 comes out of Melbourne, it is still controlled from the Sydney studios.

Studio 10 yes, and the weeknightly The Project yes. News from Melbourne is controlled by Melbourne. National news from Brisbane is controlled by Sydney.

1 Like

Really stupid question: if Melbourne is switching its news as well as ADS and NEW, why are they the only one to duck the tease music bed under the second opening bit before bringing it back up when all other shows use the music bed presumably coming out of the second open?

1 Like

Melbourne uses a separate control room, staff and rundown template. I guess it’s a creative decision those folks use.

2 Likes