Sports Tonight

Wow, some aspects are almost exact duplicates. Is that the same music? I think it’s safe to say (hopefully) that ten’s next major presentation overhaul will be heavily CBS inspired.

imagesimages%20(17) These 3 CBS sport logos are exact duplicates of this

8 Likes

Certainly not a bad thing though!
Would’ve preferred if they went with the staple Sports Tonight theme rather than using the CBS theme though.

2 Likes

An inspiration from CBS Sports. Miss the old music though.

1 Like

The whole CBS Sports package is amazing, would love to see that introduced across all Ten Sports touch points.

5 Likes

What is on offer?

From everything I have read they have to wait till 2020 for Supercars & Rugby Union (Super Rugby) which will still go to Fox Sports 1st, A-League is a dud on One on Saturday night, AFL & NRL are locked up with 7/9/Fox Sports, Netball is locked up with 9/Telstra, Basketball?

TEN do have the Rugby Union World Cup next year, very limited Super Rugby coverage, very limited and restrictive Supercars (they only do Bathurst 1000 as its on the anti-siphoning list has to be sold 1st to FTA), 1 F1 event race (Australian GP), Moto GP and that is pretty much about it, yes they might have other stuff but what ever they have is very niche and in hidden time spots.

Ten need to do what Seven are doing and that is offer time-share ad revenue split and if that means doing state based sports for each station city wide then so be it, look at Seven with Club Rugby into NSW on 7two (via Seven and Prime), it’s working for the most part, cheap to produce and making money on ad spots and on-air sponsorship, sure its not NRL money but it is still something, yeah it it might seem beneath them but they have to start somewhere to show national sporting bodies that they are back and back as a sole production and not simulcast on a pay wall system.

Fantasy booking, if I were in charge of TEN right now I would get rid of ONE (which is now a joke) and replace it with a new general entertainment brand but also make it the home of all sport they have and that means making it HD leaving TEN to focus on drama, comedy, kids and premier NEWS destination, 11 can be the home of retro CBS/TEN shows (which is what it is right now) & reality programming and dump Spree TV and make it CNN International /BBC World combo

They have to make it “destination viewing” like how CBS is in the US market.

1 Like

Looks fantastic. If the hints we’ve been getting so far from certain members turn out to be true, then the rest of Ten’s “evolution” will be quite the event.

Yes it uses CBS’ graphics, nothing wrong with that.

Any videos of the opener and graphics?

1 Like

Opener

7 Likes

I think it was a solid start tonight but it’s more of a sports magazine rather than a sports news program. This is what I think the format should be like:
Segment 1: introduction + AFL (Caty Price introducing reports of each Sunday match then wrap of latest news and ladder)
Segment 2: ST news of other sports + NRL (Scott Mackinnon introducing reports of each Sunday match then wrap of latest news and ladder)
Segment 3: feature interview
Segment 4: ST Mike (two players of each club taking over the microphone and speaking to their teammates)
Segment 5: Play of the Day
The set and graphics look graphics there are too many sweeping camera angles zooming in and out, and why can’t they show full team names on the rolling graphics?
I will tune in again in a couple of weeks to see if there are any improvements.

Yup, that’s the Channel 10 I remember from my childhood, updated to 2018. Fantastic.

3 Likes

When was this announced? I didn’t know an Australian free to air broadcaster had been announced.

good fresh start, has potential.

The CBS style package suits Ten. Like the new presentation style of ST. Ten Sport could use CBS Sports graphics which are nice.

This is what we could see with this package. Interesting and pretty cool.

I’m pretty sure they mentioned it at the time the deal was done, obviously its a simulcast with Fox Sports but the Australian matches are going to be on TEN.

I might of jumped the gun on that, however I do remember hearing about

I must’ve missed it, but since when has TEN landed the rights to Rugby Union World Cup next year, as I don’t recall it being announced as TEN or whoever been the Australian Broadcaster.

Maybe they could poach Golf, I know its niche but its something that can fill up hours of airtime.

EDIT: I see its already been answered.

Supercars are in a right state at the moment, they were even considering switching to racing in summer to dodge the footy codes. Loss of FTA has significantly impacted their exposure (and thus the exposure of sponsors). I wouldn’t consider Ten to be out of the bidding with them.

Also F1 wants to roll out their OTT streaming service worldwide and was willing to break a very successful partnership with NBC to do so. I don’t think Fox would consider F1 all that valuable if you can get the same coverage at a much cheaper price. Ten have a chance to jump back in there.

The NBL is in play at the moment and is very much on brand with Ten (moreso now they are taking cues from CBS and US Sports Networks). It’s the one network that could hype the NBL up to be the NBA, especially given the work they did with the big bash, which took cues in its lighter tone from the radically successful Inside the NBA on TNT. Basketball is still one the biggest participation sports in Australia, there’s plenty of support to mine.

Rugby is in a dud deal but Rugby’s traditional demographics are the same as Fox Sports so I can’t see anything changing there.

This is the best looking broadcast out of that tired old Pyrmont lobby since they downgraded the set to a couple Kogan plasmas and some milk crates post News Revolution. CBS’ helping hand clearly at play here.

Fascinating to see basically the same graphics package and theme song as CBS Sports. Could we be seeing CBS’ graphic resources, with minor variations, across the network?

1 Like

Oh I don’t know, NITV broadcasting South Australian Rugby Union is working :smile:

Do something crazy like covering state based sport competitions, sure its not fancy and spectacular but does draw money and is relatively cheap to do.

They missed a great opportunity to get Forrest owned Western Force games, remember they have to start somewhere to rebuild and then grow.

If it were possible to do they need to go to FFA and get FFA to do Wednesday night A-League games that are exclusive to FTA and done by TEN and have nothing to do with Fox Sports, that has two things good about it, 1: shows Ten are serious about sport & 2 great for A-League to have dedicated exclusive FTA coverage, of course for that to happen the old man has to be in a box and the two sons blinded by the light.

lol there is always getting US sport like the relaunch of XFL from 2020 … back to being serious I would try to get Bellator MMA since its on Paramount in the US and here on Spike (which I know is not linked to CBS direct but they have a working relationship).

This is a massive issue, moving to summer series will be the death of Supercars, also it hurts the growing and super strong Bathurst 12hr event which I go to :wink:

If TEN is serious they would go for exclusive access to Supercars and insist it stays in current time frame, they need to shut out Fox Sports (which have all but killed the sport by making it exclusive majority behind a paywall that you still need to buy basic ent package before you can buy sports package), lets see if CBS will do that.

Full episode. FIFA copyright finally gone.

5 Likes

The Branding / Graphics / Set design are fantastic, super modern (funny to see the ATV Kidney Bean desk get recycled and transported to Sydney mind you). Hopefully a sign of things to come as CBS slowly but surely get Ten back on track.

9 Likes