Sky News

Drooling? He’ll have his pants off and his democracy sausage out there having a good ol’ time over his re-election, if you know what I mean. :wink:

3 Likes
2 Likes

If true, a massive loss for Sky and leaves a enormous gap within their scheduling and credibility (well whats remaining of it).

8 Likes

Phwoar. That’s not a good sign for the future of straight news at Sky

5 Likes

In many ways, Speers is the face of Sky News so the significance of his departure can’t be understated. While Kieran Gilbert will be a good political editor (assuming he replaces Speers in the role), the gap that Speers will leave not only Sky’s political coverage but the channel itself is massive

6 Likes

We might have an answer - according to The Guardian:

Additionally, the reason why Speers’ appointment hasn’t been officially announced yet is because Sky haven’t yet released him from his contract

2 Likes

And it appears won’t. Contracted until the end of the year, and he appears to be constrained by a subsequent non-compete clause.

1 Like

Oh well Barrie or fill ins until end of the year then. Not unheard of.

It would be slack if they held him back from leaving for a year, if he doesn’t want to be there.

It’ll probably unfold similarly to what happened with Yvonne Sampson a few years ago (when she left Nine to join Fox) whereby the current employer threatens to enforce the non-compete clause only to later back down

1 Like

It’s a stupid idea. How awkward would it be at Sky if they did. More people could leave if they let his departure simmer like that.

1 Like

He could just call in sick every Sunday and maybe Sky won’t notice if he accidentally popped up on the ABC. It’s a perfect plan.

Peter Stefanovic will front a new documentary Lawyer X: The Untold Story for Sky News, telling the story of barrister turned informant Nicola Gobbo. It’s ‘coming soon’.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/truecrimeaustralia/crimeinfocus/peter-stefanovic-opens-up-about-his-ubergate-shame-as-he-returns-to-tv/news-story/fdaec6aab09df2a87f6365e4f0337326

Absolutely cooked.

He will also co-host First Edition with Laura Jayes, beginning July 1.
https://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/morning-shows/peter-stefanovic-reveals-new-gig-with-sky-news/news-story/c4bf2bff672fd999285a4568d4e63ae9

1 Like

2 Likes

Also says that Tim Gilbert will have duties on Weekend Breakfast too.

1 Like

Hasn’t Tim Gilbert been doing a Saturday morning horse racing show for a while too?

I reckon that’s pretty good programming!

I have thought for a while that having two hosts in separate studios doesn’t work overly well, so it’ll be good having Peter & Laura in the same studio presenting a straight news breakfast show! Then leading into AM Agenda with more of a politics focus with two anchors in the same studio. I think it works well and it’s a good program.

3 Likes
1 Like