Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

Very interesting. Here comes Mark Ferguson.

Any contributing factors this week that could have lead to Seven narrowing the gap?

I’m honestly not too sure, having recorded this result through the daily rating threads. If there have been any factors, they aren’t obvious. I believe it’s because of fickle audience changes - one thing is that Sydneysiders seem to have been tuning into The Chase Australia lately.

7 much closer to 9 in Brisbane this week… they desperately need the Olympics to boost their bulletin, but that’s still some way off.

Week 17 2021 - Preliminary

Weeks won - 2021 ratings

Weeks won - 2021

Week 17 2020

5 cities: Week 17 saw both 5-city numbers at their highest for the year; though a sign of the times that both were less than one million viewers. It was also the week that Seven rolled out a new promotional campaign. The net effect, so far, saw little relative change between the bulletins with both lifting approximately 20,000 from week 16.

Sydney: Nine’s lead in Sydney was back to more normal levels up 9,000 week-on-week while Seven dipped 7,000 despite posting a narrow win on Friday.

Melbourne: Melbourne is turning into a very competitive market with another split decision that saw Nine ahead at 6pm but Seven building across the hour to win by less than 1,000. Nine won Monday and Tuesday while Seven won the other three nights.

Brisbane: Nine’s lead in Brisbane increased week-on-week, up 3,000. That was despite a bizarre Friday result that saw Nine record its lowest audience of 2021 losing to Seven by 30,000 after winning the other week days by around 50,000 each night.

Adelaide: Seven managed to win every night though Wednesday was by just 1,000. Overall Seven dipped 3,000 and Nine was steady with the previous week.

Perth: Big news numbers on Friday saw results up with Seven the big winner gaining 17,000 to its biggest Friday of the survey. Meanwhile, Nine edged up by 1,000.

4 Likes

Week 18 2021 - Preliminary

Weeks won - 2021 ratings

Weeks won - 2021

Week 18 2020

5 cities: Similar results across the five markets to last week as Seven’s 5-city average was up 9,000 and Nine’s 3,000.

Sydney: Nine continues its Sydney dominance increasing the lead over Seven. Nine won every night and improved 8,000 week-on-week while Seven dropped 9,000.

Melbourne: Another interesting result in Melbourne with Nine again winning at 6pm only to be overtaken in the second half hour and for Seven to win across the hour. All nights were close with Seven winning Monday, a tie on Tuesday and Nine winning the back end of the week.

Brisbane: Nine built up a big lead Monday to Wednesday to easily win the week despite Seven winning Thursday and Friday. Nine, however, dropped 10,000 from week 17 while Seven was up 6,000.

Adelaide: Nine had a good win on Tuesday but Seven’s maintained its winning streak win wins across the other nights as both bulletins posted small gains week-on-week.

Perth: Nine had four nights over 70,000 for the first time this survey but Seven also did well and had another easy victory.

4 Likes

Week 19 2021 - Preliminary

Weeks won - 2021 ratings

Weeks won - 2021

Week 19 2020

5 cities: Nine News 6pm was the number one show on two nights of week 19 that saw it win four out of five markets including Adelaide. At 6.30 Seven was in the lead in three markets giving some very close results including a tie in Adelaide.

Sydney: Nine opened up one of its biggest lead in the Sydney market. The 6pm segment posted a 2021 survey high as Seven on Friday posted on of its lowest audiences of the year.

Melbourne: A close result with Nine ahead at 6pm overtaken at 6.30 to narrowly win by 1,000 viewers. Both bulletins were up about 8,000 week-on-week.

Brisbane: Numbers were down for both bulletins in SEQ but Nine continued to lead Seven, winning four nights.

Adelaide: A tie in Adelaide across the hour based on preliminary numbers. The first time that Seven has not won a week outright for multiple years. Note: I allocate a win to both bulletins in the “Weeks Won” tally.

Perth: Seven continues to be approx 100k ahead of Nine with no sign of that changing.

6 Likes

Friday nights are becoming a real problem child for Seven News Sydney. Awful numbers.

Time to put Mark, Mel and Angie on a Monday to Friday roster instead, or dare I say, a Sunday to Friday roster?

Or they could go back to solo readers on weekends.

The slow decline continues for Seven News Adelaide.

Time to call in Jane Bunn to present Adelaide’s weather so they have a meteorologist on board?

Jane would obviously have to pre-record the weather segment for Adelaide due to her commitments to the Melbourne bulletin, but I think she’d be a good fit for the role.

2 Likes

And given how 10 News First is tracking from outsourcing their presenters, that would no doubt lead to a quicker demise for Seven Adelaide.

1 Like

Re the tie in Adelaide: Firstly it is based on preliminary numbers, however these rarely change for weekday bulletins. But, also, the published numbers that we see are rounded to the nearest 1,000 - which is an OZTAM “rule”.

However, from previous experience we have seen networks argue over fewer than 1,000 viewers to claim victories (example Sunrise vs Today). So I checked the “raw” data and if that is used, Seven was the winner by a very small margin. But for our purposes it’s a tie!

4 Likes

I think 7 Adelaide needs to look for a co anchor to join Jane on weeknights.

Well done to Nine Adelaide and Seven Melbourne though.

2 Likes

Appears to be since 2006 (in survey) according to the article from 2019:

Could’ve perhaps been during the Melbourne Commonwealth Games?
Nine did not win either week in Adelaide during the 2012 London Olympics based on the quick research I did.

1 Like

This is what Seven News Sydney needs to do with their Friday/Saturday night bulletins.

Don’t think I’ll ever understand why after a few years of instability with Nine’s Friday/Saturday night Sydney 6pm bulletins (GG replaced by Deb, then GG coming back), Seven thought it was a good idea to make major changes of their own by bringing in the dual presentation format with Usher & Cox on Boxing Day last year.

I’m convinced that Seven only made this move to give Angela Cox something proper to do at the network.

The sooner the double header ends, the better. I don’t really care whether they keep Michael or Angela for weekends, just pick one of them.

1 Like

Perhaps really get a new set :wink:

2 Likes

Or revert back to the original desk :man_facepalming:

According to TV Tonight, it’s a win to Nine News Adelaide.

5 Likes

The TV Tonight article says exactly the same thing as our data - that Nine won at 6pm.

It also confirms the tie across the full hour.

If both half hour blocks were added together then both average 196,000 viewers

I think readers of this forum can understand that Nine won at 6pm then was overtaken at 6.30 then the average across the hour was a tie.

Also worth noting that Nine has won 6.30pm half hour 3 times this year in Adelaide. Week 5 was a tie across the hour after rounding.

8 Likes

Week 20 2021 - Preliminary

Weeks won - 2021 ratings

Weeks won - 2021

Week 20 2020

5 cities: Nine closed the gap, up 12,000 from the previous week, with that largely due to an improved performance in Brisbane. Seven was also up, but only by an average of 500. Compared to the COVID impacted results of last year Seven was down 19% and Nine down 14% from week 20 of 2020.

Sydney: Another clean sweep for Nine to an easy win across the week. Seven’s Friday number continues to struggle with last night’s the lowest number in 9 weeks and a whopping 64,000 behind Nine.

Melbourne: Three wins for Nine and wins for Seven on Wednesday and Friday saw another close result for Melbourne. Nine was ahead at 6pm and Seven won the 6.30 pm half hour to bring the contest to 6 wins each in the second half hour.

Brisbane: Five out of five wins for Nine in SEQ. Seven came close on a couple of nights but Nine increased it lead overall. Compared to week 20 of 2020 that Seven won, Seven is down 20% with Nine down 12%.

Adelaide: After last week’s close result, Nine lost an average of 4,000 viewers while Seven was up slightly winning both half hours. Nine did win two nights and continues to be the only bulletin up on the equivalent week from last year.

Perth: Way out west and Seven, even losing 12,000 viewers week-on-week maintained its big lead over Nine that was steady with week 19. The Nine bulletin is down the most of any in comparison to 2020, slipping 27%.

5 Likes

Almost as if the Usher/Cox duo was a really bad idea.

2 Likes

Surely Seven are going to do have to take some action on these abysmal Friday numbers in Sydney?

They actually are relatively competitive from Monday to Thursday, but then on Fridays all the momentum is lost.

1 Like