Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

IMO Mitch is the best anchor at HSV-7 and they’d be silly to axe him.

The issues at Seven Melbourne are not with presenters, but the content of the bulletin. I also believe they’d have a better chance of winning if they got a publicity and sales team back in Melbourne, which they dumped at the end of 2019.

At the end of the day, promotions/publicity/sales/advertising etc. are beneficial.

It would also help if they restored a local travel show to lead into the Sunday news.

2 Likes

Do you mean beneficial?
I agree Seven needs a local travel show. It axed Melbourne Weekender too soon. Problem is, such a travel show can only be shown when live sport (such as AFL) is not on air.

2 Likes

Oops my bad, I meant beneficial.

I also recall that after Melbourne Weekender was axed, they launched a show called something along the lines of “The Great Weekend” with Brian Taylor, Jane Bunn, Jack Riewoldt and Brooke Hogan as presenters, before it was axed at the end of 2019.

1 Like

It wasn’t a bad show, but didn’t attract the same attention. Maybe those four can be part of a refreshed Melbourne Weekender or some sort of other show to rival Postcards?

Final numbers posted. Seven News after the final day of the test match was marked down with Seven News average down 25,000 from preliminary numbers. It also saw Nine win the 6.30pm portion of the news in Adelaide.

Week 5 2021

Weeks won - 2021

Week 5 2020

5 cities: Nine is having their best start to a year since 2018 when the bulletin won two weeks at the start of the year. Since those two wins in weeks 2 and 3 of 2018, Nine has not won a week until this year. Compared to week 5 of 2020 Nine is steady while Seven is down 8%.

Sydney: Whatever changes are happening with Seven’s Sydney bulletin, the ratings show a 10% drop from 2020 while Nine is up 8% and winning easily on every night.

Melbourne: Nine Melbourne continues to be the only bulletin in Australia that can pull in +300,000 viewers ( 3 bulletins this year had over 350,000 at 6pm) and has a commanding lead over Seven.

Brisbane: Nine had an easy win in SEQ as Seven recorded its lowest weekly average for the year with Friday its lowest rated weekday bulletin of 2021. Having a news anchor present out of studio on Tuesday also delivered a poor result. However, the contest continues to be volatile with Seven winning Monday and Thursday. I believe the bulletin has the wrong male anchor with the network’s best local talent, Rod Young, wasted on an under-resourced Gold Coast bulletin.

Adelaide: Essentially a tie this week with almost nothing separating the two bulletins. Seven is down 16% from week 5 of 2020 with Nine up 32%. Will the tennis impact the results in a couple of weeks as Nine potentially loses its afternoon lead in?

Perth: Seven continues to be the only bulletin in town more than double Nine’s though both are down on last year - Nine down 19% and Seven down 13%.

7 Likes

Great turnaround Nine. Just 100 viewers apart in Adelaide in total. That’s impressive. Seven are really worried, and Perth is the only city holding them up now.

2 Likes

It’s probably a combination of the double header (at least on some nights) and the departure of David Brown which is making viewers switch to Nine? Wouldn’t be overly surprised if the ratings gap continues to widen this year.

1 Like

It seems that Brisbane has become a real problem child for Seven in the last 12 months after rating well in that market in 2019.

Do you think that a Rod and Katrina duo could work for weeknights?

Would probably have to wait until Amanda Abate is back from maternity leave though, otherwise there’ll be no one to read the GC bulletin if Rod moved up the M1.

No

Seven’s long-time dominance of Adelaide market is now under serious threat for the first time.

7 Likes

Yep, they have claimed more than a decade and now that’s under threat. Now Nine just needs to fix Perth, and Seven will be worried.

:clap:

7 have lost 3 of the biggest markets and are now on the verge of losing Adelaide, I’m sure they’re already worried.

3 Likes

True. Their only hope now is Perth.

Doesn’t it also suit Rod these days as he lives on the GC?

The Adelaide switch from the 2020 figures is huge. Nine will be stoked. Their situation in Perth is looking dire though. Seems that Monika hasn’t got the pull to help their 5pm figure either.

4 Likes

They need to move Monika to 6pm, either with Michael or by herself.

But remember, when Adelaide news moved to 5pm it didn’t work for them, until now. So Perth’s change may take some time.

5 Likes

As long as they are persistent and don’t go changing things around too quickly. I’m sure they realise by now that this will take time (longer than Adelaide did)

1 Like

They need a second presenter with Michael at 6PM. Monika looks like a good fit.