Seven v Nine News Ratings Comparisons

In this topic you will find information published each week for the ratings for the Mon-Fri main Seven and Nine bulletins.

The information will include some enhancements from last year’s numbers. This year will feature

• average overnight Mon-Fri ratings, national and per market
  • comparison with the result from the previous week -national and for each market
  • the number of weeks won in the ratings and no-ratings period national and for each market

Information was previously in the Major News Bulletins thread of the old forum.

Week 1 - Final

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase.

2 Likes

That’s a pretty big difference btw Melbourne & Sydney, just for Seven News & Nine News.

Didn’t think the averages would be that different.

The bushfires & heatwave coverage in recent weeks in VIC, might explain some?

Final numbers posted to adjustments mainly to Nine News.

Week 2 - Final

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase.

Weeks won

Table updated with final numbers.

Week 3 - Final
Because of cricket coverage, numbers subject to more than usual adjustment in final numbers.

Colours indicate change from previous week - green is increase or no change.

Weeks won

Tables updated to reflect final numbers for Nine. Interesting to see every Sydney bulletin lost ground last week and every Melbourne bulletin was up. Only one bulletin did not lose ground in Brisbane as well and that one was even with the previous week.

Week 4 - preliminary

Weeks won

Seven News Brisbane that saw the return of regular readers Sharyn and Bill recorded its lowest weekly rating that I can find - certainly for several years. Same week in 2013 the bulletin had 252,000, this year 143,000.

1 Like

Week 5 - preliminary

Weeks won

Those Seven News Sydney ratings are pretty alarming. While I won’t be posting the exact numbers since Media Spy doesn’t have them yet, they were under 200k during both half hours last night while Nine got over the 300k mark at 6.30pm.

Even more alarming I think for Seven would have to be those Adelaide figures. A once untouchable region for Nine is now well within their grasp. Nine will win weeks this year. I highly doubt the year but definitely predicting some weeks to go Nine’s way in 2016.
Definitely a case now of Seven should watch their back. As for Perth…well Nine still have some work to do there.

2 Likes

Ill wait until The Chase returns this week.

The Chase Australia was airing (albeit a half hour episode) on Friday night. And really, the Australia Open should be a better lead-in program than a game show!

I think its a terrible lead in for news… for the simple reason that if you actually are invested in watching tennis then chances are you will switch over to the secondary channels to continue watching the matches.

2 Likes

Week 6 - preliminary

Weeks won

With ‘The Chase’ returning, Seven has again narrowed the gap in Sydney and Melbourne.

Why do 7 persist with TT in ADL and PER?

1 Like

Probably because it’s one of the very few non-news programs produced in both cities and that Seven wouldn’t want to risk a massive viewer backlash in both markets if they axed the local editions of Today Tonight in Adelaide & Perth.

Ratings suggest viewers prefer hour long news.

1 Like