Seven Tennis Coverage

you mean Ten? Didn’t the sports channel finish after the 2011 AFL season. It was at a time when Ten were making big plays for summer sport and then Tennis Australia decided to lock in a deal with outgoing to tender.

:disappointed:

2 Likes

Night session from 7pm in perth back on 72 tonight last night on 7 from 7pm strange!!!

1 Like

Because Federer beat Mischa Zverev in the quarter final just before the 6pm news in Perth. Seven feels it is not worth to show the doubles match on main channel in the city.

1 Like

Hamish just mentioned more AFL talk in the doubles match. We get it! You love the AFL. You don’t have to mention it during every tennis match!

4 Likes

Next they’ll be talking about how much they love all those Seven network shows about to return after the tennis. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Seven has just announced it will show the Fed Cup World Group II qualifier between Ukraine and Australia from Kharkiv next month. The tie will air on 7TWO on February 11 and 12.

2 Likes

He’s doing what he gets paid to do. He just does it very badly.

3 Likes

I don’t recall there being any mystery about the decision, my memory of events was that 7 stitched up the deal a few weeks after ten stitched up a cricket deal that would compete with the tennis and tennis Australia wanted to stay partnered with a more committed network. coupled with the fact that 2012-13 was a very dark time for ten, they couldn’t do anything right, and serious questions were being asked if the network had a future. The simple reason TA didn’t have a competitive bidding process was because they feared ten would bid highest and they would end up there, even if it were for a bigger payday. why is any further explanation required?

There would have been nothing forcing them to go with the bid with the highest dollar value, they can take other aspects into account, but reports suggest that having a competitive bidding process would have made Seven pay significantly more than they did.

The epg had the tennis on 7Two from 7pm nothing to do with roger winning

Watched the coverage on 7two in perth. The only thing that came into mind was that 7HD perth threw in some repeats.

“The simple reason TA didn’t have a competitive bidding process was because they feared ten would bid highest and they would end up there, even if it were for a bigger payday. why is any further explanation required”

What? You don’t have to always award the highest bidder for TV rights? Surly a board would make a decision what’s best for the sport. At the end of the day, was the deal with seven in the best interest for tennis Australia, did it meet the requirements of having it on free TV - or was there a bad apple who shared a common interest with tennis Australia and seven.

And I agree with what you said about ten at the time, yes they could have put more money on the table than seven, but at the end of day tennis Australia is protecting its brand, making sure that it would be on TV and a station that is sound on both viewers and finically.

I do wonder if this is coming from a network or media organisation that is unhappy it didn’t get any tennis, when in the past it had the ausopen on its pay (woops did I say paytv network) service and now it’s summer sport is a-league…

1 Like

While rare, sports rights agreements/renewals being done without a tender process do happen for non “bloody dodgy” reasons. Two examples:

• When the NBA extended their rights deals with ESPN and Turner in 2014, both networks offered enough money that other networks weren’t given a chance to be involved. To be fair, that was the aim of both ESPN and Turner in order to avoid FS1 or NBCSN having the opportunity to secure those rights
  • Premiership Rugby extended the broadcast deal they had with BT Sport until 2021 due to them being pleased by an increase in ratings and attendances since BT started broadcasting the competition in 2013.

The issue seems to revolve around Harold Mitchell (link behind AFR paywall) who at the time was the VP of Tennis Australia and chairman of Aegis Asia Pacific which is a communications firm which had dealings with Seven. As a result, the investigation would probably be around whether that conflict-of-interest was handled in a proper manner.

I don’t think that’s the case since most of the reporting about this issue has come from Fairfax & the AFR

3 Likes

I love that montage with “The Good, The Bad and the Guly” thene that they do every year, straight after the winner of both the women’s and men’s finals.

Showing from 1975 through to today every winner of the Australian Open.

With a tagline from Seven “since 1975 we’ve brought you the Australian Open… And we’re very proud of it”.

:grin:

Seven showing a Wheelchair tennis match at the moment which is very rare for them.

3 Likes

Any particular reason why Seven have the Australian Open airing on 7Two for Perth?

There’s no reason why they can’t continue it from 7pm (after their local Today Tonight)?

I notice they have a local fireworks show telecast later in the night though

its Been that way since Tuesday night

Things may have changed:

1 Like

Wow what a game! Go Federer!

3 Likes