Seven News Content and Appearance

There was still a news bulletin.
I’m sure people, 21 months into a pandemic can cope if their news services of choice is delayed by an hour.

In addition, they are a commercial broadcaster. They could have cut the news for the night if they really wanted but they didn’t.

7 Likes

So if let’s say someone was broadcasting the biggest race of the Melbourne Cup and there’s 100m to go but it’s 6pm they should cut away to news? You just wouldn’t do something like that.

7 Likes

That’s never going to happen but yes the news should remain as scheduled doesn’t necessarily mean the same channel. But the principle of having a primary and secondary channels is outdated.

1 Like

Having the news delayed by an hour, honestly isn’t the biggest deal at all - people can still get their news if they really want to get a linear broadcast OR they can get it from 7news.com.au - so much choice to get the news these days!

And with that being said, wouldn’t the viewer of the multichannel be annoyed that their show on say on 7Two for instance is replaced by the news? As said before, the multichannels serve DIFFERENT audiences, maybe audiences who don’t really particularly want to watch the news :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

You can’t please everyone however news is scheduled at 6pm it should be shown at that time and should not be moved for sport full stop. It’s a multi channel not a secondary channel.

1 Like

Preliminary ratings (may be subject to adjustment):

Sydney: Seven was on par with its usual Sunday
Melbourne: Seven had its lowest Sunday result of the year
Brisbane (news at 6pm): Seven was way up about 50k on it usual results
Adelaide (news at 6:30): Seven beaten by Nine, but not unusual recently for a Sunday.

3 Likes

So messing around with the news for a car race virtually meant Seven lost the ratings to Nine. Not to mention the big bash league doesn’t rate. But that’s for a different topic.

1 Like

Compared to the same Sunday (Dec 6) last year though, total viewers and the Sydney and Brisbane markets are up, and the race was up against last year. Outside that awful Melbourne number and the lopsided BBL match, I don’t think 7 would be too unhappy

1 Like

The news doesn’t get moved often but when it makes sense for them to do it they will. Nine does it too.

Chances are whatever they are airing (usually sport) is going to attract more eyeballs (and money) and so it gets priority. Plus they get to use that opportunity to advertise the news is coming up to viewers who might not otherwise be watching.

This is nothing new. TV networks know where the money is. The average viewer either won’t care (or notice) and they will be back the next night.

Edit: This also happens regularly in the US during their football season and for other major events. The 4-6pm local news and the 6:30pm national news will get cancelled completely. No delayed airing, just cancelled. NBC for example might only air Nightly News in the western timezone but nothing for the east. They all know what they are doing.

10 Likes

NBA games on ABC also get the same treatment by having local news delay airing until the end of a scheduled game (“except in the West Coast,” as what they always say).

Bottomline for the agitated Seven viewer: Sports coverages are mostly finished in full to prevent another “Heidi moment” thing that occured in the United States decades ago. Even with digital television, stations still have the final word on which goes where.

6 Likes

The numbers in Melbourne are pretty ugly, perhaps in that market push the car racing to a multi.

Nine News Melbourne is a machine as we know on Sunday’s, often 100k ahead, such numbers not seen in other states, they shouldn’t be fuelling that fire in that market.

3 Likes

I think Seven News in Melbourne would have been worse if it was on at 6.00 and was made to go against the end of Bathurst. As you say, Nine News on Sunday pretty much knocks Seven out of the park anyway. No matter what Seven does the news would have got smashed.

3 Likes

Thanks for mentioning this. I was not aware of that but it was an interesting read.

In case anyone else is interested:

5 Likes

Seven Queensland with a countdown to next Monday

Solo read tonight with Sharyn. Also on Nine with Melissa.

5 Likes

Quote from the presenters thread for context:

So a question on appearance:

If the report is true and 7 Melbourne does go to a co-presented weekend bulletin, does this mean they will get a new desk? It doesn’t look like it is designed for two presenters + a sport presenter. I know they had 4 or 5 sitting at the desk during the last state election coverage, but it didn’t look great with more than the usual presenter + sport positions.

And will that mean the desk will have to be moved pretty much back to where it was when the current set launched to have the main screen behind both presenters and then move weather back to the mini wall on the right of screen?

I know it’s all speculation but still… surely there would have to be some alterations to get a decent looking shot with two presenters + sport at the desk? Something to look forward to maybe (from an appearance side).

3 Likes

This is 7. They’ll go the cheapest option. They do have a 4m LED so it shouldn’t be to bad.

4 Likes

Interesting and here I was getting roasted in saying Seven will find a role for her and she had been seen at Seven :thinking:

more importantly, will she get an office? Amor might need to share :grinning:

2 Likes

It’s a huge desk. They could easily fit 3 people on it.

Yes they should do this. It would accomodate 3 people on it much better I’d say using that position.

4 Likes

I haven’t really followed the ratings of news this year, but has 7Melbourne been behind 9Melb on weekends?

1 Like