Seven News Content and Appearance

Even if they don’t do a national set (would be surprised if they switched back after 10 years), the ABC’s approach would be the model to reach for.

Consistent design language and features to show that they’re part of the same “family”, but customised to each city’s needs and studio capabilities.

10 Likes

Agree. To have a consistent look and feel across the seven news brand (in all cities) would be good.

7 Likes

Afternoon News 5:00 - 5:27 pm

10 Likes

I’d assume the screencaps were from the Brisbane feed, given the time coverup down left on the ticker.

3 Likes

Tonight’s bulletin was scheduled to air at 7pm AEDT in Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide, but started more than four minutes early with Bathurst 1000 post-race wrap airing on 7mate (whose own feed began at 6.30pm AEDT).

3 Likes

The whole decision to move the news to 7pm was stupid. News should never be moved. It should be on the main channel at 6pm for consistency every night. We have multi channels for this very purpose.

5 Likes

And I’m sure Seven and the ratings will disagree with you most of the time.

6 Likes

If people want to watch the Bathurst 1000 they can do so on 7Mate. News is more important and it should never ever be moved plus people are capable of changing a channel.

1 Like

I’m not inclined to dive into this conversation again but clearly the networks have demonstrated that an important sports event can be very beneficial leading into their primetime schedule and viewers don’t mind watching a bulletin even if it was delayed by a few minutes as demonstrated by the ratings. I don’t know what’s so hard to understand about it.

8 Likes

You know this argument works in the opposite way right?

7 Likes

What if they want to watch Bathurst and the news? :exploding_head:

1 Like

Replay it after on the multi channel if they must but it should not be delayed for a sporting event in the day of multichannels

1 Like

So they should run the news at 6.00 on the multichannel and then replay it again on the same channel?

I get the one of the original premises for multi-channels was to allow certain fixtures like news continue in their regular timeslots while sports ran over time but as described a few posts above there can be commercial incentive to keep the news on the main channel with a delay. I don’t really see why it’s such a big deal. If people are really so fixated to see news at 6.00 there are other options and Seven will have weighed up that (some) viewers may follow those options but still decided to do what it did. It’s a commercial decision, as simple as that.

2 Likes

That’s fine but I’d do the opposite. A lot of people like me tuned to Nine when they usually watch Seven and some may not tune back to Seven. For that reason alone I would not move it.

1 Like

Aren’t you the one who chucks a wobbly every time news bulletins are bumped due to major programming? IIRC we last went through this when the Olympics were on. :thinking:

5 Likes

News should not be moved for anything in the age of multiple channels that’s what they are there for. There should not be a concept of a primary and secondary channels, it’s channel Seven or channel Nine and treated as such regardless of the channel it is on.

1 Like

Ok, but the multichannels don’t serve the same demographic as the main channel

1 Like

So it’s still Channel Seven at the end of the day.

1 Like

Look, Seven News is no longer just the flagship bulletins on TV anymore - they’re online and can be accessible 24/7. It’s not like the entire division is shutting down for Bathurst, 7News is still accessible. Having sport events go into your prime time lineup is a good idea for viewers

6 Likes

Was going to go back and just cut and paste my comments from when you raised this last summer but all I’ll say is last time I checked, Seven was a commercial enterprise and this move actually maximises their news audience for the night rather than the opposite.

11 Likes