Seven AFL Coverage

The AFL schedule is included in a broader post under Seven Sport. No doubt Seven have included some errors for members to find.

1 Like

Well, they’ve forgotten to jot down the interstate Fox Footy simulcasts, on Saturday, Sunday and Monday in respective markets. Yet they managed to note them in last round’s release.

3 Likes

7 Afl Saturday night game from Optus in Perth.
7 Perth Sports Editor Ryan Daniels tells me, all the commentary team will be actually be in Perth broadcasting the game live.

7 Likes

They’ve been doing that this year. Had them a couple of times at the Gabba. Great to see

2 Likes

Is it usual for the ad break watermark to read AFL even when it is VFL like today?

3 Likes

I’m assuming when they write AFL they mean the sport. Like when it says 7cricket in the summer.

3 Likes

This Saturday’s Cats v Dockers match from Geelong will be replayed on Seven in WA at 2.30pm local time. This is one of three Fremantle matches produced by Fox Footy this year that are shown on three hour delay on FTA.

4 Likes

At least it’s being shown on FTA here in Vic…oh wait!

2 Likes

The Age’s Sam McClure said on Sportsday on 3AW tonight that sources had told him that the AFL had become frustrated at a number of decisions recently made by Seven on its footy programming, including the network’s decision to axe Game Day and Talking Footy. McClure also said that the AFL had conceded that Seven’s broadcast of games had become tired.

8 Likes

Nothing more than cost-cutting by Seven. Seems to be a bit of a trend lately even though those were pretty decent when they were still on.

Great news. Bring on 10 and 9

1 Like

How surprising :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Didn’t Seven initially blame covid for the axing of both AFL Game Day and Talking Footy back in 2020? And said that “it was temporary…”?

But Seven has kept The Front Bar for entertainment, with The Armchair Experts airing on Friday nights up-late as some light-entertainment…

To some extent - Nine can claim to being the home of “AFL News” with The Sunday Footy Show and Footy Classified.

3 Likes

I feel they could do so much more, but they’re just phoning it in. Game Day and Talking Footy was quite stale towards the end of their time but there are so many other formats they could try out. The Front Bar being a success story for them should give them some inspiration for other formats, but alas no they like to stick with the same old same old.

4 Likes

Agree that Seven should do so much more. I can understand in a way for axing Game Day and Talking Footy, as it was getting stale. But with The Front Bar only there for entertainment, they do need one new show in the schedule for more of a serious discussion for AFL.

Just Seven being Seven, and overspending for reality shows, and not much else.

Agree with this, I think Fox is also doing big cost cutting by not sending commentators interstate

2 Likes

There will also be another Friday night double-header after it was trialled earlier in the year.

The Western Bulldogs will host Hawthorn at Marvel Stadium in Round 15, with West Coast and Essendon starting at Optus Stadium 100 minutes later.

2 Likes

I know it’s early days, but Fremantle (second on the ladder) overseen to host / play in any primetime national timeslots again.

1 Like

Again, they’re games are on FTA in Perth so there is absolutely no incentive from 7 to put a game on FTA and waste a fanbase.

The problem with this is the rights. They don’t have them exclusively and they’re paying a lot for a simulcast deal so they really are just a relay station for the matches. Seven and fox have got to go. They’re doing a poor job ajd this simulcast deal is a dud.

1 Like