Seven AFL Coverage

That’s some stat

4 Likes

From Telstra Friday Countdown pre show

1 Like

Are the overseas broadcasts taking Sevens coverage or Foxtels?

1 Like

WatchAFL takes the Fox Footy feed, but for BT Sport in the UK/Fox Sports in the US/etc. take the match feed (no prematch/postmatch, (not sure about FS, but I know that BT Sport have a continuity anouncer give a brief intro before the first bounce) they can opt out of the halftime break in favour of ads/other programming) of the ‘host’ broadcaster, almost the same as 7 does for outside Victoria games that they don’t produce (eg Crows, Power, etc).

1 Like

ABC Australia (which broadcasts into Asia-Pacific region) takes the match feed. It starts at the same time as match broadcast on Seven / Fox Footy, e.g. for last night’s Geelong-Hawthorn match, it would begin at 7.30pm AEST like Seven. ABC Australia takes the half time break but the broadcast finishes just after the final siren.

2 Likes

But what local commentary are they taking? Also does the international feeds have the fake crowd noises ets?

2 Likes

Yes.

1 Like

I thought the advertising and banners on the seats looked better last night. Might have been the straighter wings at Kardinia Park as opposed to the curved MCG.

If it’s a Seven-produced game, they’ll take Seven’s commentary (and vice versa if its a Fox game)

3 Likes

Whoops, NPC Media in Sydney forgot to press the ad break button, luckily it faded just in time

1 Like

Does anyone have the intro? 3 games and every time I’ve missed the intro by seconds…

So, Sunday Soapbox has also been canned.

Yet the AFL still gives them an extension when they don’t care about footy

1 Like

It’s temporary and seven would love to have these programs on air, But as previously stated they are trying to reduce costs. I think the AFL deal goes a lot further than a Sunday morning program.

5 Likes

No HD bug for the Sydney-Essendon telecast into Melbourne.
BT, Hamish and Jobe Watson calling the match from the Melbourne studio with Jude Bolton as field commentator at the SCG.

3 Likes

I notice that Seven have removed The Kick from the AFL Program line up on Saturdays and replaced it with simply Pre-Game Show.

3 Likes

Makes it tough for those who not only don’t have Foxtel but would have to also:

1. Avoid listening to the radio for spoilers etc. if they’d rather watch the replay
  2. Avoid social media and the AFL app as a means of checking the live scores

In Melbourne between 2012-16, the Saturday afternoon match was delayed by 90 minutes so that Seven could feed it into Seven News. However, in Sydney and Brisbane it remained live (via 7mate).

Yes, there was no The Kick over the weekend, just the commentators in the Seven Sport studio doing a generic pre game.

Looks like communication (or lack there of) was bad between Seven Sport and Seven Programming/Scheduling, as not just the guides/EPG, but even the ratings coding (it made the Top 20) said “The Kick” :joy:

On that note and its ratings, Seven must be happy enough to keep a 30min pre game vs airing Border Patrol like other markets at 7pm.

Start times all (AFAIK) being 7:40pm now help, previously there were many 7:20pm starts with The Kick starting at 6:30pm and only a 30min News, doubt Seven would want to shorten Melbourne’s news to 30min now, even on a Saturday with the current news cycle.

1 Like

Why on earth are Seven producing the Brisbane vs West Coast game on Saturday night? When there’s Geelong vs Carlton.

Fox must’ve pushed for the latter game or maybe Seven’s one is for their loyal Perth audience (wonder if it’ll be moved from 7mate to the main channel and if local Basil Zempilas will call?)

edit

Just realised maybe the contest factor? Geelong will belt Carlton. But still, strange.

I guess it’s because Seven produced Geelong v Hawthorn last Friday and the AFL didn’t want Seven to cover two Cats home games in a row.

3 Likes

Maybe to get some non Victorian teams some games on FTA…

It isn’t the VFL anymore

2 Likes