Seven AFL Coverage

All WC games are on FTA in WA and Brisbane games are on FTA in QLD. Makes no difference for them whether it’s a Ch7 or Fox game.

But for Cats and Carlton fans in VIC, they now miss out, and with limits on people in pubs, you either pay for foxtel/kayo or miss out completely.

4 Likes

Almost all of the WA games are produced by Fox, even the derbies.

3 Likes

Seven will also cover the Melbourne vs Geelong game at the MCG in round four. Plus what’s wrong with two or more FTA matches of the same team in a row? Not rare.

2 Likes

Now they know what it’s like for interstate club fans in Victoria especially old Fitzroy and South Melbourne fans

When a non-Melbourne market meets the quota threshold as per the FTA broadcast deal structure, how is it decided which games air and which don’t?

(e.g.) This week on FTA, Sydney get Thursday night (Seven protection), Friday night (Seven production) which involves local team GWS but being Friday would’ve aired there regardless, Saturday afternoon (Foxtel production) with local team Sydney Swans and Saturday night (Seven production) = 4 games.

But therefore Seven’s Sunday afternoon production will not air in Sydney (i.e.) no Sunday game there this week.

I’m guessing the AFL think with no local teams, prime time (Saturday night Brisbane vs West Coast) is preferred over day time (Sunday afternoon Essendon vs Melbourne)?

AFL Victoria announced yesterday afternoon the 2020 VFL season, which has been delayed by coronavirus, would finally start on August 1, featuring eight teams: Box Hill, Casey Demons, Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Sandringham, Werribee and Williamstown. The top four clubs will compete in a three-week Finals Series, culminating with the VFL Grand Final on the weekend of 10 October. AFL Victoria will talk to Seven regarding broadcast arrangements, but expect Seven to again show matches on Saturday and Sunday afternoons in Victoria.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. Being in Brisbane, I’ll just talk about Brisbane, but would imagine the same logic applies for Sydney.

My understanding is that Brisbane has pretty much always televised a Sunday afternoon match regardless of who is playing and what other matches 7/7mate have screened already that weekend. Exceptions would be Public holiday weekends where 7 weren’t producing a Sunday match and the Lions or Suns weren’t scheduled for a Fox game.

I’m sure that we would get 5 FTA games fairly regularly, though seeing what Sydney are getting this weekend, maybe I’m mistaken. I don’t think so though. [edit - definitely have taken 5 matches in a weekend before]

There were times when Brisbane wouldn’t get 7’s Saturday night match if the Lions or Suns were playing earlier in the day, but other times we would. I’m not sure what influenced the decisions.

Be interesting to see if Brisbane get the Sydney v Melbourne Sunday afternoon match in Round 5. Lions and Suns both playing on Saturday so we’ll have had 4 games on FTA by Sunday morning.

1 Like

And there have been rounds where non-Melbourne markets get 5 games on FTA!

1 Like

Actually in Brisbane we got 5 FTA games this weekend just gone.

Thursday night (7)
Friday night (7)
Saturday afternoon (Lions, Fox)
Saturday night (Suns, Fox)
Sunday afternoon (7)

Makes this weekend for Sydney even weirder. Maybe it’s just a mistake and will be updated.

1 Like

Apparently this is why Foxtel haven’t extended their agreement they want exclusive interstate matches.

Very hard to see the AFL agreeing to that though, growing the AFL even in its traditional markets Adelaide and Perth has been core to their plans and success since the 2002 broadcast deal with Nine and 10.

3 Likes

I’d say they have fully grown in those two markets with both Adelaide and Perth arguably on a percentage bigger AFL fans than even Victoria. I think the AFL will have to budge because they rely on that extension with Foxtel and if they are expecting them to extend for 2 years then this could be the condition that changes. It would be shattering for fans in South Australia but it can be argued that fans in Victoria don’t always get their club on FTA. Foxtel want to grow in those two markets and this would be the way.

2 Likes

And I’m sure Seven don’t want the arrangement changed either, they get a nice little extra ratings / revenue from those local games from Fox :wink:

2 Likes

They probably don’t but Fox do provide a massive sum for the rights - even more than 7 riight? Without Foxtel 7 wouldn’t be able to even consider the rights.

Guess it depends on the language of Seven’s extended deal - if the ‘flip/flop’ clause (as the Nine newspapers have described it today) is written into the deal, it’ll be hard for the AFL to get rid of it

1 Like

Hamish McLachlan and James Brayshaw calling Richmond v Hawthorn tonight, with Jobe Watson providing special comments and Cameron Ling on the boundary.

1 Like

Is anyone experiencing an audio stutter?

1 Like

Yes, noticed that on 7Mate HD in Sydney.

Seems to be fixed now,

3 Likes

I noticed the stutter in the first 10 minutes as well. I thought it was my indoor antenna.

2 Likes

Yes, I also wondered if was my reception since I was watching from 100 km away from the TX.

But there was no pixelation and 7HD was also fine.