Seven AFL Coverage

I twitter basil about James Bradshaw doing Saturday Afl, Basil twittered “Still plenty of footy for me this year… and lots of other stuff!!”

2 Likes

I was thinking that JB might reunite with BT while Bruce and Hamish are at Gold Coast Comm Games.

1 Like

The new AFL X format is scheduled for 7Two Thursday 15 Feb to Friday 16 Feb & 7mate Sat 17 Feb.

I wonder if Seven will be producing these broadcasts or just simulcasting a Fox Footy feed?

2 Likes

Not sure about aflx I feel the AFL has missed an opportunity. No real winner of the competition. Should have started it with a real bang instead of a soft launch.

continuing in most appropriate thread I could find

Yep, he was never anything else, odd isn’t it, being an ex-player? Bucks the trend of them usually becoming experts.

Bar Brian Taylor and in recent years Luke Darcy (who never called the 6 years he was on Ten).

Not that uncommon, certainly on radio there’s a few more, Dwayne Russell, Wayne Schwass, Nathan Brown, KB (was also on 7). Blight, Salmon and Terry Wheeler weren’t much chop, Richards, Whitten and Skilton (despite the speech impediment) were pretty accurate. ABC had Geoff Leek and Doug Bigrlow amongst others as former players doing play by play.

And weirdly enough Darcy called netball on One HD but not footy.

1 Like

Yeah you’re right, there are a number of former players calling on radio.

Darce was interesting, in that even Kelli Underwood was given oppertunities to call footy but not him. There were matches where Kel would call, while Darce was the expert (almost like she was more senior to him)! Such as here (@ 3:00min): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWnpjSo9jcU

I’m hoping we will see some new graphics for the footy this season. It’s been 6 seasons since a refresh

2 Likes

Jack Edwards would be another one.

2 Likes

Throw in Leigh Montagna as well

I really doubt that was the reason Underwood called games and not Darcy. Would have more likely been a case of who do they get to deliver special comments- ten didn’t have a large team. Remember he started as special comments on 7 with BT calling Saturday night games solo as well.

I’m a bit confused Chris, where did I say there was a reason Kelli was given calling oppertunity from 2009 but not Luke?

I just said it was interesting.

If you’re referring to where I said “almost like she was more senior”, I was talking about during the telecasts, not the people in general before Kel became a caller. Darce had already been part of Ten’s coverage 2.5 years longer for starters, let alone being a well known Western Bulldogs ruckman!

Well that makes two of us.

Moving on…

Gerard Healy also called at one point for Seven, during Olympic periods

2 Likes

Tomorrow’s Fremantle-Collingwood AFLW clash at Optus Stadium, the first ever AFL match (men’s or women’s) to be held at the venue, will be shown on Seven and GWN across WA from 4pm to 6pm local time, while Winter Olympics coverage moves to 7mate. Other states except Queensland will get Dockers v Pies on 7mate, with Sunday’s Lions v Bulldogs game (Fox Footy production) to be simulcast on 7mate in the Sunshine State.

2 Likes

Not sure why you’re posting this, but interesting none the less.

It is a big technical task (from a broadcast perspective) tomorrow, with Olympics / horse racing / tennis / footy.

2 Likes

A question we ask every time you post something.

13 Likes

5 Likes

The name of the thread might help clarify things :thinking:

5 Likes