Seven AFL Coverage

Fair enough :stuck_out_tongue: it was all tounge and cheek.

Anyway in all honesty I believe the crows deserve to make thr GF. Its a pity the current finals set up disadvantages top 4 sides.

1 Like

Telstra Heat Map

3 Likes

Luke Ball and Chris Judd (also top draftpicks back in 2001, with retiree Luke Hodge) interviewed him specially post-game.

For retiree Bob Murphy, Fox Sports allowed Brad Johnson to interview him on Seven’s coverage thereafter.

An amazing feeling game, great coverage and send off :ok_hand:

PS: Telecast finished at 11:44pm [AEST], probably the latest this year.

6 Likes

Another great game on Friday night footy
Competion is so even

4 Likes

Now that was the biggest premiership hangover. Western Bulldogs are the biggest disappointment of 2017. You do wonder how they won a GF. Clearly not on talent but will.

2 Likes

Drew Morphett, one of Seven’s leading commentators in the 1980s and 90s has passed away overnight, aged 69.

2 Likes

Seven did a small tribute to Drew Morphett during its VFL telecast this afternoon: video
There will be a extended tribute tonight during The Kick.

2 Likes

@TV.Cynic
Am I right by thinking “pre-match” is not same as “The Kick” (which would have a seperate coding)?

Are the below presumptions correct, in terms of Seven’s AFL coding?

•“Pre-Game” / “The Kick” (Saturday nights only): pre-game show (around 45min)
•“Pre-Match”: minutes on the ground before first bounce
•“Post-Match”: minutes on the ground after the final siren
•“Post-Game”: post-game show (around 1hr)

We never see “The Kick” or “Post-Game” as they must not have a big audience, especially outside of Melbourne.

2 Likes

Tribute on Drew Morphett on Seven News:

4 Likes

As a further tribute to Drew Morphett, during half time of tonight’s Geelong v GWS match, Seven showed the VFL promo from late 1987 or early 1988 after the network regained the broadcast rights. The promo featured the new commentary team including Morphett, Sandy Roberts, Malcolm Blight, Bernie Quinlan, Don Scott, Peter Landy and Peter McKenna. It finished with the slogan “the footy’s back where it ought to be”. It is the first time ever I see the clip.

4 Likes

Here is the clip for those who missed it:

4 Likes

Some of us remember it was just like yesterday

1 Like

Rugby commentator Gordon Bray also mentioned Drew’s passing during last night’s Bledisloe Cup game.

He referred to him as a “ABC and Channel Seven commentator who passed away at home last night in Victoria watching his beloved AFL”…

2 Likes

They were contemporaries at both ABC and Seven. Drew’s death has no doubt hit hard for many still in the media, similar to Jim Maxwell’s stroke last year.

On another note, with the cuts to ABC funding over recent years, are we likely to see such skilled broadcasters coming through with the ability to commentate multiple sports again? I’d fear the current crop is probably the last.

1 Like

Here is the fixture for the first week of 2017 AFL finals series.
DIOzRXpVoAAxCn3

It’s weird for a twilight final to be held in the first week (I can remember West Coast’s narrow win over Collingwood at the WACA Ground in the first week of the 1994 finals, which was also a twilight game). I think Seven asked for the Swans-Bombers match to be held in this timeslot right up against an NRL finals match on Nine. IIRC the NRL twilight final starts at 5.50pm AEST. On social media many fans are not happy, asking why the Sydney final would not be played at night.
It will be interesting to see if Seven News will air during half time of Sydney-Essendon final or after it. If it’s the latter, it means The Kick will not air that night.

6 Likes

Will games showing in perth start on mate and move 7hd after the news on Thursday and Friday

Absolutely bewildered why one of the biggest Melbourne teams (Essendon) isn’t given prime-time treatment :frowning:

Also agreed, there’s usually an actual afternoon game in Week 1 (e.g.) Sydney vs. GWS last year.

2 Likes

Because Essendon finished 7th. And Id argue that by starting the game at 4.20 instead of 2.30/3.20 they are getting prime time treatment.

2 Likes

That is not how it works, it comes down to which games the AFL & Seven believe will rate highest.

(i.e.) Sydney finished above West Coast, yet WCE get full prime-time.

What was the highest-rating final last year, involving no Melbourne team? Wouldn’t be much over 400k. If PORT v WCE isn’t a good game, it’ll be even lower in Melbourne.

Thus, not a great call IMO :confused:

Im aware how it works. Its also set up so Essendon could beat the Syd airport curfew on the Sat.
Put it this way, I’d have scheduled it for 2.30 Sat.

2 Likes