Seven AFL Coverage

Herald Sun reports today that AFL greats Luke Hodge and Nick Riewoldt, who will retire at the end of this season, will play a more prominent role on Seven’s AFL telecasts next year. Both have appeared on an occasional basis on Seven’s broadcast in the past two years. Hodge is likely to be a regular face on Friday nights in 2018.

3 Likes

There’s going to end up being too many commentators!

It’ll work if they do what they do now (use them occasionally).

Is Nick Maxwell still doing boundary riding on Sundays?

Perhaps it will reduce the workload of Hamish McLachlan and Brian Taylor, given they also commentate matches for Triple M each weekend, and Hamish also hosting AFL Game Day plus pre-match and post-match on Fridays and Sundays on Seven.

2 Likes

Jimmy Bartel has also been the boundary rider in some Sunday games this year.

2 Likes

No matter whether you like or don’t like Hamish McLachlan (I’ve always been 50/50), he does a ridiculous amount for Seven Sport.

Also has a great relationship with Seven Sport’s two most senior execs Saul Shtein and Col Southy, as well as senior network exec Lewis Martin (also seen with him hosting the network’s prime-time Olympics & at the Logies table/award acceptance).

EJ Whitten Special

Friday 1 September

Brian Taylor, Tim Watson, Wayne Carey, Luke Darcy, Brendan Fevola and Jonathan Brown set to deliver all the action and entertainment

The Legends Game will be broadcast live at 7.30pm AEST on Channel 7 and 7mate next Friday 1 September to raise funds for the EJ Whitten Foundation supporting men’s health awareness.

A collection of AFL greats will return to the field including Seven’s Luke Darcy who is set to captain the All-Stars.

Three-time premiership star Jonathan Brown will lead Victoria with Jimmy Bartel, Jude Bolton and Campbell Brown also pulling the boots on.

Coaching this year’s teams are Seven’s own footy champions, Tim Watson and Wayne Carey. Watson, the Australian Football Hall of Famer and triple premiership star will lead Victoria. And Carey, arguably the greatest player of all time and two-time premiership captain, will coach the
All-Stars.

Brian Taylor and James Brayshaw will lead the call with host Hamish McLachlan on top of all the antics from the showcase event. Brendan Fevola will provide expert commentary in his own inimitable style, while Anthony ‘Lehmo’ Lehmann will ride the boundary line taking full advantage of his
license to interview players.

A special edition of The Front Bar will be broadcast live from the change rooms following the game. And Roaming Brian will be among the mayhem as both teams come together to celebrate the cause.

TV Broadcast times:
All-Stars v Victoria (Etihad Stadium)
Sydney 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5.30pm LIVE on 7mate

Victoria Team List
Coach: Tim Watson
Assistant coach: Robert DiPierdomenico
Jonathan Brown - Captain
Ben Johnson
Brent Montgomery
Campbell Brown
Chris Newman
Dustin Fletcher
Heath Scotland
Joel Smith
Lindsay Gilbee
Mark Graham
Ted Richards
Andrew Thompson
Anthony Koutoufides
Austinn Jones
Brent Harvey
Damian Monkhorst
Daniel Harford
Jimmy Bartel
Jude Bolton
Luke Ball
Luke Power
Nick Dal Santo
Paul Dimattina
Paul Licuria
Scott West
Wayne Schwass
Adem Yze
Brad Johnson
Matt Spangher
Tony Brown
Troy Chaplin

All-Stars Team List
Coach: Wayne Carey
Assistant coach: Glen Jakovich
Assistant coach: Peter Bell
Luke Darcy - Captain
Ash McGrath
Ben Holland
Brent Staker
Brian Lake
Daniel Southern
Karl Langdon
Martin Pike
Richard Champion
Sam Fisher
Tadgh Kennelly
Troy Luff
Adam Cooney
Adam Schneider
Adrian Fletcher
Alan Didak
Andrew Embley
Andrew McLeod
Clark Keating
Kane Cornes
Paul Hasleby
Shaun McManus
Simon Black
Cameron Mooney
Leon Davis
Mark Williams
Scott Cummings
Shaun Smith
Phil Matera

4 Likes

Updated description for tonight:

The Front Bar
Eight-time All Australian Mark Ricciuto joins Sam Pang, Mick Molloy and Andy Maher take afor some fun look at the footy from The Front Bar.

1 Like

Round 23

Tigers, Dogs, Saints, Giants and Cats stake their claims

With multiple top eight combinations possible, a classic final round awaits footy fans.

The Hawks and the Dogs meet on Friday Night Football with the reigning premiers in a last-ditch effort to make the finals.

Before the bounce we pay tribute to Hawthorn legend Luke Hodge and Bulldogs star Bob Murphy as they approach the end of their AFL careers. At half-time we speak to Josh Gibson during his farewell lap of honour.

Second take on third when the Giants host the Cats at Simonds Stadium on Saturday Night Footy. A home final awaits the winner of this all-important clash.

Injured Geelong captain Joel Selwood joins The Kick live at the desk to talk about when he will return to the field. The panel also takes a comprehensive look at the round of football and what it all means leading into the first week of finals.

AFLW stars Katie Brennan and Melissa Hickey are both set to pull on the Big V and Allies jumpers for the inaugural State of Origin next Saturday 2 September. They join us live at half time to talk about their preparations.

It could be a last chance battle for the Saints on Sunday Football as they face the ambitious Tigers who are determined to cement the double chance.

We celebrate the career of Nick Riewoldt on the day of his last game. Saints fan and AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan sits down with Riewoldt to reflect on his outstanding career as the longest-serving St Kilda captain who has also played over 300 games in the red, white and black.

TV Broadcast times:
Thursday 24 August
The Front Bar
Melbourne 8.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Adelaide 8.30pm on Channel 7
Perth 9.30pm on Channel 7
Sydney Late night on 7mate
Brisbane Late night on 7mate

Friday 25 August
Hawthorn v Western Bulldogs
Sydney 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5.00pm LIVE on 7mate

Saturday 26 August
VFL: Footscray v Williamstown
Melbourne 2.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

SANFL: West Adelaide v Glenelg
Adelaide 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

WAFL: Claremont v West Perth
Perth 2.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

Brisbane Lions v North Melbourne
Brisbane 2.00pm LIVE on 7mate

Sydney Swans v Carlton
Sydney 4.30pm LIVE on 7mate

Geelong v GWS Giants
Sydney 7.20pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 6.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 4.30pm LIVE on 7mate

Port Adelaide v Gold Coast Suns
Brisbane 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

Shute Shield Grand Final: Warringah v Northern Suburbs
Sydney 3.00pm LIVE on Channel 7

Sunday 27 August
AFL Game Day
Sydney 10.00am LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 10.00am LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 10.00am LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 10.00am on Channel 7
Perth 10.00am on Channel 7

Essendon v Fremantle
Perth 11.00am LIVE on Channel 7

Footy Flashbacks: GWS Giants v Western Bulldogs, 2016 Preliminary Final
Melbourne 1.30pm on Channel 7

Richmond v St Kilda
Sydney 2.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 2.30pm LIVE on 7mate

West Coast Eagles v Adelaide Crows
Adelaide 4.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 2.30pm LIVE on Channel 7

Monday 28 August
Talking Footy
Melbourne 7.30pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 7.30pm on 7mate
Perth 7.30pm on 7mate
Sydney Late night on 7mate
Brisbane Late night on 7mate

3 Likes

AFLW stars clash in State of Origin

Pearce, Perkins, Brennan, Harris set to showcase women’s football

Seven will broadcast the inaugural AFLW State of Origin showdown when the biggest names in women’s football come together to represent Victoria and the Allies.

All Australian skipper and Seven’s own Daisy Pearce will lead Victoria along with Sarah Perkins, Lauren Arnell and Collingwood skipper Steph Chiocci. The Allies also feature a cavalcade of stars including Bulldogs co-captain Katie Brennan, Chelsea Randall and Tayla Harris.

Women’s football legend Debbie Lee will coach Victoria, while inaugural AFLW premiership coach, Bec Goddard from the Adelaide Crows, will lead the Allies.

Before the bounce we hear from some of the biggest and most inspirational players in women’s football. Docker Dana Hooker talks about being a mother and transitioning back into football. Sarah Perkins reflects on her stellar year with the Crows as the star full-forward. And Erin Phillips reflects on winning the AFLW best and fairest award.

Hamish McLachlan will host the broadcast with Jason Bennett and Nigel Carmody calling the on-field action, alongside premiership player Abbey Holmes in expert commentary. Field commentator Sam Lane will bring her expertise and passion for women’s footy to viewers when she interviews the stars of the game.

TV Broadcast times:
Saturday 2 September
Victoria v Allies (Etihad Stadium)
Sydney 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Melbourne 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Brisbane 7.00pm LIVE on 7mate
Adelaide 6.30pm LIVE on 7mate, 7.00pm LIVE on Channel 7
Perth 5.00pm LIVE on 7mate

1 Like

Anybody else see something wrong about this sentence?

2 Likes

That would be enough for me to turn this off… forever.

So @turdall, if Adelaide make the GF (and it’s close, or better still, win) how high do you think the ratings will go in Adelaide?

Adelaide haven’t played in a GF since OzTam system was introduced, which makes ‘Top Programs’ in Adelaide difficult to find (1997 GF on the old Nielsen system is the last time and they won).

Perhaps Port Adelaide GFs? 2004 GF rated 434k in Adelaide (which to me seems like nothing, but to you is probably massive).

I reckon if the aforementioned went to plan, Adelaide would score 500-600k?

Roaming with Brian is the best thing to come out of the coverage this year…

Pretty sure it’s unique in the world (which is rare for Australian sports coverage).

4 Likes

Considering the population in Adelaide at the time was under 1 million that is quite high.

I don’t even want to think about if Adelaide makes the GF… i hope it doesn’t even happen.

Ross Booth was doing it ABC VFA/VFL telecasts 20+ years ago. Oddly enough whilst BT was captain/coach at Prahran. Hmmm…

What would be so wrong about that. Frankly I would quite like Adelaide to be in the GF, they haven’t been there in years and years and probably deserve to be there. I hope you’re not just basing this opinion on the ratings it would create; that shouldn’t even come into the discussion. It’s based on skill and how good the team is and I think Adelaide have been excellent for much of the year and them being in the GF would make much of their fans and particularly Adelaide and SA itself very happy, being a very footy-centric state. Plus, I’m hoping if they do make the GF, they play Sydney or GWS, the latter preferably since I think it would be great to have another non-Victorian GF. Theoretically, this should generate massive ratings in NSW and SA in this scenario plus Victoria & WA who would watch anyway just because they love their AFL football and that ‘one big day in September’…

1 Like

Unique when it comes to post-event coverage, but not as a whole.

Martin Brundle has done the F1 pre-race grid walk for the past 20 years for various UK networks, with Sky Sports being the most recent of them. (They’re brilliant too!)

Turdall follows the 2nd team in SA, that’s why…

5 Likes

I am a Port supporter so any bias is about that I couldnt give a crap about the ratings.

The second? I think you mean the other team. We don’t like being called the second SA AFL team considering we should have been the first SA team to enter the competition.

1 Like

Nope, second was what I meant. I care not who should, in your opinion, have been first in. As a Crows supporter, I’m as caring for that as you are the Crows ratings.