AFL

Farewell to legends Luke Hodge, Bob Murphy & Matthew Boyd :wave:

Really what tonight’s match was all about.

A disapppinting end to the Bulldogs’ year (especially for Bob), but they won’t be thinking about that tonight.

All chaired off, we probably won’t see that again.

1 Like

Don’t forget Josh Gibson! Fantastic night, will never forget the chair off.

2 Likes

I was at the game tonight, the atmosphere was amazing! Each time Hodge kicked the ball there was a huge roar.
After the final siren sounded most fans stayed to see Hodge, Murphy and Boyd chaired off the ground. I will never forget this night.

2 Likes

I last went to Etihad some weeks ago, for that anticipated Essendon v Bulldogs game early on a Sunday.

I usually go to the MCG, being an MCC member.

Sadly, not going to be many finals in Melbourne :hushed:

Because the victorian teams are rubbish this year :stuck_out_tongue:

Posted in Seven AFL Coverage by accident but Western Bulldogs must be the biggest disappointments of 2017. I wonder how they won the GF last year. Clearly not on talent but on will.

1 Like

Everyone seems to forget they finished 7th place last year and I actually tipped at the start of the year they wouldn’t make the finals.

It’s just they had the perfect last 4 weeks in season 2016 (they lost to Fremantle the game before the finals began).

Hawks 2009 would probably be bigger.

Edit: Just going to move this here from the 7 AFL thread.

2 Likes

Yes I agree. That is my point. The finals system suited them and I don’t think they had the talent in their team. I think they had the momentum and the confidence and the will last year rather than the talent. You look at last years AFL teams in the finals and I think every team, on a talent alone, had a better team on paper. They had the skills, ball movement and pure will the other teams didn’t.

1 Like

Last year was ODD in world sport… Leicester City won the EPL, Cronulla Sharks won NRL, Chicago Cubs won World Series Baseball, Cleveland Cavaliers won the NBA, Western Bulldogs won the AFL.

All teams who have had long droughts of 50 years or more, in some cases, their first titles.

Call it God’s work.

2 Likes

I would rather not.

1 Like

I wouldn’t either, I reckon He’s more of a Cats man myself.

Anyhow, I never expected the Bulldogs to be able to back up what happened last year this year. Last year was all about the belief and having the nation behind them, if your team was out, you were after the fairytale finish for them, so momentum plus belief plus the support level they had from everywhere was what got them through and now this year it didn’t exist.

Richmond may be able to capture that magic again this year or Melbourne if they make it (I can’t remember if their spot is secured) and Sydney may get a little taste of it, even though they don’t need it, after being 0 and 6 at the beginning of the year and then blitzing every team since with the exception of Hawthorn.

I think Hawthorn have been the biggest disappointment this year, when they fell out, they really fell out. Collingwood pretty disappointing too and I certainly can’t see that changing while Bucks is still there. That whole debacle was a failure from the start. Maybe Mick might go back?

No would have to disagree with you on that. Ever since the bye the Hawks have won against Adelaide away, been the only team to beat Sydney (twice) since round 7, drew against GWS and almost beat Geelong.

Also, we’ve basically half of our defense injured (Gibbo, Frawley, Stratton, Birchall all premiership players) for the majority of the year as well as Cyril and Ceglar missing in action. Young guys gave really stepped up and I really believe we can make a charge for the finals next year.

2 Likes

Devestated by the passing of sports broadcasting legend Drew Morphett :cry:

Retired from ABC Grandstand last year.

Worked at Seven Sport for years.

Born in Sydney, passed away at his Melbourne home overnight (apparently whilst watching the footy… How fitting).

5 Likes

Oh crap. Hadn’t heard. Devastating. Remember him from my childhood hearing him.

1 Like

ABC Radio Grandstand doing a tribute now.

2 Likes

And add another 2 more to the retiring class of 2017 with dual premiership stars Tom Lonergan and Andrew Mackie just announcing their retirement at the end of tonight’s Geelong vs GWS game.

2 Likes

The top two is set. Adelaide are minor premiers and Geelong comes second on the ladder.

1 Like

I would be filthy if I was a Geelog supporter. Possoonly having to play Richmond at the MCG. They should have the right to play at their home ground.

The official rules actually state teams have a right to play in their home state not home ground.

I reckon if they play GWS in 2 weeks it will be at Simonds Stadium but if they play Richmond, it will definitely be at the MCG.

2 Likes

Yeah I know that but I think it is slightly unfair.

1 Like

WHAT A FINISH to the H/A season. West Coast make the top 8 by just 0.5% knocking the Demons out in the last game at Subiaco Oval.

2 Likes