SEN (Radio)

Nova definitely is.

1 Like

Not necessarily an actual ISDN line but the term is still used in the industry (usually by the less tech folk) when referring to any kind of audio link.

3 Likes

wouldn’t be an ISDN - telstra no longer sell the ISDN 10/20/30 service

2 Likes

Gosh that takes me back… Telstra OnRamp? :sob:

haven’t heard anyone call it onramp i years. in a previous job i was in the telstra data and special events team programming isdn service backends. i actually did the backend for a connection to a certain high profile talkback broadcasters house for when he could not be bothered to go in the studio to work

Turns out Chrissie, Sam and Browny chatted to Garry and Tim via Skype.
Nova version (starts at 18:08 mark): https://play.acast.com/s/chrissiesamandbrowny/bccd6748-c316-46ca-a3d3-28e16559388b

SEN version (starts at 4:00 mark): https://player.whooshkaa.com/player/playlist/show/1919?visual=true&sharing=true&episode=421101

1 Like

Not necessarily Skype for the audio. Often they’ll use Skype so that the talent can see each other, but then use some other path (eg. timeline) for the audio to maximize the quality as Skype audio is only just better than a phone line.

1 Like

And Skype often refuses to work in full duplex audio mode, meaning you can’t hear the other end if you’re talking.

2 Likes

The SEN SA breakfast sports show (Kane Cornes & Andrew Hayes) will now also be heard on SA Tab Radio. So it will be head on both 1629 and 1539.

SA TAB radio up until today got a breakfast sports show from Queensland.

1 Like
6 Likes

SEN+ breaches gambling ad rules during Australian Open coverage

SEN+—the Melbourne based online sports radio provider—has breached gambling advertising rules, an investigation by the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) has found.

The investigation found SEN+, owned by the Pacific Star Network (PSN), streamed a gambling promotion during online audio coverage of the Australian Open women’s quarter final on 23 January 2019.

The rules, which came into effect in September 2018, ban all gambling advertisements on streaming services during live coverage of sport between 5 am and 8:30 pm. Rules also prohibit gambling ads five minutes before the scheduled start of the event and five minutes after play ends.

ACMA monitoring found SEN+ streamed a gambling advertisement at 10.58 am just before the 11 am coverage of the Australian Open commenced.

“Online service providers need to be aware of their obligations,” said ACMA Chair Nerida O’Loughlin.

“The rules are in place to create a safe zone for children and families as they enjoy live sport broadcast on television or streamed online.”

The breach was the result of an inadvertent error by SEN+ due to an unexpected scheduling delay. In response, the ACMA has issued a remedial direction to PSN to commission an independent audit of its processes and practices and conduct staff training on the rules to ensure future compliance with the rules.

PSN must, under the remedial direction, formally report to the ACMA on its findings and recommended improvements. Providers face financial penalties if they fail to carry out the requirements of a remedial direction.

PSN has the right to appeal to the Administrative Appeals Tribunal for a review of the ACMA’s decision.

Another wet lettuce leaf response from ACMA.

2 Likes

Even ACMA knows that no-one is listening on 1377 :wink:

3 Likes

The question I’d have is - are the rules the same for a commercial radio license? I’ve not listened intently, but I’m sure there’s radio gambling ads all over the place around sporting events - it’s also literally all that RSN broadcasts.

If it’s okay on terrestrial radio, then SEN+ as a simulcast stream of 1377 shouldn’t be impacted, if it isn’t okay on AM, then surely this should be a ding against the 3MP license.

Very odd enforcement.

1 Like

There are different rules for betting advertising for the three racing codes. But for sports betting it appears that the same rules apply for both online audio and broadcast radio, unless I have read them incorrectly. The rules are somewhat cumbersome to read.

From a Pacific Star investor presentation released to the ASX today. The map they included is of very poor quality.

2 Likes

1620 kHz still an ear bleeding 1 kHz pilot tone on the Gold Coast.

1 Like

Has 1629 SEN in Hobart started Tests Yet???

All five SEN streams on the SEN app are broadcasting the live NBL coverage. The most of the time simulcast continues.