Nova Network

You’d assume he’s on at least a 12 month contract, probably two years. Not sure where else in the network he’d go?

1 Like

Gardening leave

1 Like

Wouldn’t surprise me; what a waste though

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

Nova 100’s Chrissie, Sam and Browny had a Skype chat with SEN breakfast’s Garry Lyon and Tim Watson this morning, to promote Fox Footy’s new show The Bullring which premieres tonight.

1 Like

Looks like Nova 96.9 and 100 are back to sharing their playlists song for song again across all day parts again.

So far none of the more out their throwbacks that Smallzy was playing have been played.

Smallyz had the smallest drop in the last survey of all the day parts, so the audience did not take issue with these songs.

Dc dropped more with the standard Nova playlist.

Will they also tone down the Friday feels??

I have also noticed that the other Nova stations have dropped the time tunnel at 9 am to focus on playing fresh hits to be aligned with Sydney.

1 Like

The worst thing about Nova is that those Throwbacks and Feels are so often repeated. Really hate the way so many of those same songs are played as often as fresh hits. Who actually wants to hear those fifty songs so bloody often? The station sounds stale.

The other problem is keeping some songs on high rotation for way too long. Right now it’s Sucker by the Jonas Brothers. Good song but it is nearly 6 months old now and it shouldn’t be still played every 2 hours. They’ve had two singles since then, that could be played instead, but are not. Only Human is top notch and deserves to be on high rotation.

Also, there are so many other hit songs which are still on the chart but only had a short run in the Nova most played lists but deserve to get played more often. Also so much fresh music struggles to be heard. This needs to be looked at.

3 Likes

You can’t be listening to Nova. I’m so sick of Only Human it’s played so much.
To be fair, I’m sure I heard Only Human and Sucker played within two hours of each other the other day…

Well…Sucker has been played five times already today and Only Human three times.

But you’re missing the point. The song that is six months old should not be played so often. There are so many others that should be played ahead of that song.

1 Like

Nova 106.9 doing Throwback Thursday again from today. I wonder if this means less older music on Fridays.

1 Like

Complete overkill by Nova 106.9 considering Friday feels is network wide and skews heavily to Throwbacks.

I have been streaming Snow fm / Eagle fm and this is how the Nova network should sound.

The playlist is not heavily based on tired old hits. When they do play a high school hit as they call them it is a worthy throwback.
They play plenty of Australian artists that don’t get airplay such as Ruel.

Today they broke the new Tone’s and I hit.
Nova 96.9 should stop copying the playlist of kiis 106.5 and sound different.

1 Like

Nova 96.9 this morning with Friday Feels, every second song is a mouldy oldie. :rage:

|2019-09-13|06:07:15AEST|Lady Gaga|Born This Way|4m 20s|2011||
|2019-09-13|06:54:45AEST|Christina Aguilera|Genie In A Bottle|3m 38s|1999||
|2019-09-13|07:08:03AEST|Black Eyed Peas|Don’t Phunk With My Heart|2005||
|2019-09-13|07:24:54AEST|Kelly Clarkson|Since U Been Gone|3m 9s|2004||
|2019-09-13|07:41:36AEST|Backstreet Boys|Everybody (Backstreet’s Back)|1997||
|2019-09-13|08:10:55AEST|One Direction|What Makes You Beautiful|3m 20s|2011||
|2019-09-13 08:40:27AEST |Jay Z, Alicia Keys|Empire State Of Mind|2009||

1 Like

And the mouldy oldies are going back to boring safe songs, whereas a week or two ago there were more alt throwbacks in the 9-12 shifts, and the Friday Feels.

From the sound of it Smallzy is trying to get the audience to request these more alt tracks. However it looks like management are going back to the safe boring throwbacks that we all hate.

Maybe PJ got scared considering there was a very small rating drop in the last survey. But it was greater in DC’s shift with the safe songs v Smallzy shift with the wider playlist.

The problem with Nova 969 is they make improvements to the playlist and then all of a sudden backtrack to what they were doing previously. Nova has to sound different from KIIS.
This is my opinion of how the stations should be positioned-

Nova 969 non stop fresh hits, CHR with alt edge, like Nova 106.9 but with less throwbacks as that station is starting to sound old.

KIIS CHR with hot AC edge

2day fm ???

The Edge as it is

4 Likes

It’s what most listeners want but they just don’t get it. So we just get those same mouldy old 100 songs rolled out every week in a different order.

The other bad thing is that the fresh hits in between these throwbacks are the most played songs like Sucker-Jonas Brothers, If I Can’t Have You-Shawn Mendes etc.

So these are getting flogged to death every couple of hours and nothing else gets a look in. So it’s the worst of both worlds.

2 Likes

Totally agree with you there. That is why I am streaming Eagle / Snow fm. They do CHR very well, not overly repetitive, play plenty of new Australian music, and only a couple of throwbacks each hour.

Nova 96.9 need to understand that they will not be #1 CHR station in Sydney while K&J are on breakfast at KIIS, and by copying the playlist of Kiis. If they can get much hotter, Sound different from kiis and 2day, get the music right, ratings will build across the day parts. There may be some early ratings declines.

Getting the music right will also boost the ratings of KTM which is the key to knocking off Kiis, as they cannot be beaten in breakfast.

4 Likes

Agree. They need a point of difference.

I listen to Fitzy & Wippa and Kate, Tim & Marty when commuting but the rest of the day I’m listening to The Edge.

3 Likes

Chrissie, Sam and Browny will be broadcasting from New York City on Melbourne Cup week to support Browny’s participation in the New York Marathon.

1 Like

Nova Entertainment has appointed Dave McClung as Nova 93.7 program director in Perth, effective from October 28. He is currently operations manager at Nova 969.
https://www.bandt.com.au/media/nova-entertainment-appoints-perth-program-director

1 Like

That makes Nova96.9 CD-less and Operations-less.