SEN (Radio)

That’s a surprise - thought he would have gone back to Off the Bench

1 Like

How Long Until 1629 SEN TAS is Launched in Hobart?

1 Like

I prefer 1377 to play 60’s and 70’s Music most of the Day when No Sports are Scheduled, Agree?

3 Likes

I don’t mind program highlights of the Breakfast show and Whateley on 1377 during the afternoon which I think they still do. But I agree they should never be simulcasting with 1116 at other times.

Live sport, program highlights, original content or music (if they have to) sounds like a good idea.

5 Likes

Has SEN come to Canberra especially when the Giants are Broadcasting Matches?

I think so, since a couple of tweets from AFL Nation mentioned the guests were in the commentary box.

I believe SEN are building new studios in Adelaide on the corner of North Terrace and King Williams Street. It is a very prominant spot, I think they might even have a window front onto the street but that is just a rumour. Given they are also hiring I think they must be expanding in South Australia in 2020.

Well they’d better do something about their SA frequency.

1 Like

Move off the factory roof and to a proper site with earth mat, good/direct soil conductivity and mast the height for the wavelength would be a great start.

I suspect Craig isn’t into spending any money on infrastructure, it’s another Coles Radio but this time it’s for streaming, get some frequencies on air and push the streaming, never mind broadcast radio on your off band freq.

2 Likes

According to the Herald Sun, Dwayne Russell will be leaving 3AW at the end of the year to join SEN full-time (he currently presents a program for SEN SA). He’ll reportedly take over the afternoons slot (12pm - 3pm) Andy Maher used to have before he moved to drive + join the station’s commentary team

Do they get anything useful out of all those extra frequencies they bought recently?

Surely ARN have a price for being on DAB - run it as Chemist Warehouse SEN SA if they must…

1 Like

SEN got both BSB AM and FM Narrowcasting licences and NON-BSB AM Narrowband licences from Gumnut. It will be interesting to see if there is any difference in the programs on the narrowcast licences and the NON-BSB licences which will presumably operate using the NON-BSB commercial licence. I am surprised that they bought the BSB narrowcast licences.

List is here:
https://web.acma.gov.au/rrl/client_search.client_lookup?pCLIENT_NO=8126387

5 Likes

Presumably there’s nowhere they can do a swap with a commercially licensed racing station for an onband narrowcast - like the kind of thing that happened with 7EX?

I suppose it’d be good leverage for other deals to get them better frequencies - get an on band narrowcast station in exchange for a bunch of off-band ones. Or perhaps even to get on digital in some markets - for example would Capital take Hot Country on AM, in exchange for SEN taking a spot on their DAB allocation?

SEN really should target the 87.x frequencies, in my experience far more FM radios tune down to 87.5 than AM ones that go to 1629+.

5 Likes

Good call, I’d go further with a bold prediction. In 10 years time SEN/Crocmedia will be the majority owner nationally of 87.6/88 FM narrow cast licenses.

I’d be surprised if FM narrowcasting is alive past 2025, in all honesty

3SR 1260 Shepparton and 3BT 1314 Ballarat come to mind

It will survive but I don’t think the current niche operators will. It will all be tourist information, racing radio and SEN by 2025. So essentially live sport and tourist information.

2 Likes

The one thing the narrowcast sector needs to continue to survive is some form of coherent lobbying. Come to think of it, having Crocmedia on board alongside the racing and Christian networks might ensure its survival

1 Like

…and have 1377 have some Classic Hits when they’re not Simulcasting 1116.

1 Like

The AFL Record publishing business is very profitable for Pacific Star. The rest of the company isn’t.

2 Likes